Why Not To Use Color Host

Hi I have been with color host now for about a week.First when I bought the package I never got a email with my login details for game panel , In the week that I have been with them my server was removed from the hosted tab 3 times and my server has been down for 2 days from DDos attack on there sites and servers. I have tried support tickets and they try and tell me oh the site was fine sir , I called them and got what sounded to be a 10 year old kid on the phone. This company dose not supply you with the services you pay for and there support is horrible.I am not one to complain but after returning to SA-MP after 2 years and paying a pricey hosted tab fee of $20.00 and $7.99 for hosting to have color host make my server look bad by being down for 2 days and removed from hosted tab 3 times. Yes they gave me 4 extra days on hosted tab but that dose not fix the hundreds of players that will not return from it being down.

First Support Ticket

rob marryatt || Client
Hi My server was offline yesterday and today and I have no access to my ftp log in. Yesterday I tried to access you site but it was down as well.? I just can not seem to keep my server running longer then 3 days with this company. not sure what the problem is?

Support Dept || Staff
Were currently under DDOS attack, as a precaution the network is offline intill this is resolved.
Once the customer that is found causing this attack, all will return to normal.
We apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Warm Regards,

rob marryatt || Client
So your solution to fixing a DDos attack is to take down your network instead of using a firewall and banning the ip's that is sending the connections? So this has been going on now for 2 days so basically your saying if this happens to be a 30 day attack my server will be down for 30 days or if they stop today and start again tommrow my server will be down again tommrow. This will mean again your not supplying me with the services I paid for.I am not sure you have employees with the correct experience to run a hosting company. You state 99.9% up time in the last 5 days I have had a package it might of been 70% up time. This is a joke

Support Dept || Staff
Sir, when the attack is huge the network needs to be taken offline so we can protect you.
We do have firewalls in place, and these attacks have not been happening within a 2 days period as reported from our graphs.
You should be back online, and were sorry for the inconvenience.
Warm Regards,

rob marryatt || Client
This is the first I have heard of this method to "Protect Me". Like last time you say thees attacks have not been happening the last 2 days then this means you have some other type of problem or your calling me a lire as I was not able to log into ftp and my server was down the last 2 days on and off. The posts on my forums users made yesterday they must of made up eh.? I can see this company in court in the coming months.

Support Dept || Staff
Sir, were always striving to give you the service your wanting.
Our uptime monitors do not report within those days of any downtime.
We have precautions in place and this is what any other company would do to protect there clients.
As stated, your online and being monitored for any more attacks.
Warm Regards,

I can post more tickets that you would be surprised about but color host decided to delete some of there reply's as they knew they were in the wrong and a new support tech handled my case.

So what's the problem here? You really think that firewalls can really save from strong ddos?

Honestly, I read most of it. I myself am not familiar with DDoS's, but it seems like he was doing the right thing.

Not that I use it myself, but, many of my friends hosted servers of them, and they seemed very reliable (more than 2 friends used this host).

Your just being silly and expecting too much, Hire the fbi database if you want it secured.

There is no protection in the world that can protect you from a strong enough DDOS attack. CISCO firewalls are pretty good, but extremely expensive, and simply not worth it for a gaming server hosting company. Seeing how easy It is to rent a botnet these days It will be an every day issue.

That is unless you have a massive amount of servers and connections sharing the load on your assets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanosie
Посмотреть сообщение
Your just being silly and expecting too much, Hire the fbi database if you want it secured.
Funny thing is that FBI was brought down not too long ago...

You guys are all missing the point, the fact that I paid for a package 7 days ago and in the 7 days 3 of the days my server was removed from hosted tab and 2 it was down from DDos, This has nothing to do with the actual attack it has to do with the fake guarantee of 99.9% up time and the fact the they continue to say there site was not down but yet all my members made posts on my forums stating the could not connect.

I don't see anything wrong with the way it was handled?

Also, as an ex-Color Host Employee, I can let you know that there are no "10 year old kids" working there, they're all over the age of 18.

Your expectations are set really high.

We ran the correct precautions that any host here would have ran (Which is null routing the IP intill this attack subsides)

We always have had great uptime. And were sorry for the problems your having.

No company here has the best firewall system, as the cost ranges are far beyond what you expect. If we were to get this firewall system, prices would change and we would no longer be the cost-effective solution you have now.

Were also very quick at solving attacks, this attack you claim happened was only for 20 minutes.

Also, our support is pretty quick at giving you very prompt replies (as it looks here, 3-5 minute replies apart)

Were always here to help you, so if you need help do let us know.

Thanks!

I'll try being neutral here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquor
Посмотреть сообщение
There is no protection in the world that can protect you from a strong enough DDOS attack. CISCO firewalls are pretty good, but extremely expensive, and simply not worth it for a gaming server hosting company. Seeing how easy It is to rent a botnet these days It will be an every day issue.
True. Some decent protections cost Ђ200. Do you want to pay for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquor
Посмотреть сообщение
Funny thing is that FBI was brought down not too long ago...
Off-topic, but it was their public site. And it was a DDoS, which anyone can perform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoBMoB
Посмотреть сообщение
You guys are all missing the point, the fact that I paid for a package 7 days ago and in the 7 days 3 of the days my server was removed from hosted tab and 2 it was down from DDos, This has nothing to do with the actual attack it has to do with the fake guarantee of 99.9% up time and the fact the they continue to say there site was not down but yet all my members made posts on my forums stating the could not connect.
That's true. It's not the first time I hear someone complaining about randomly being removed from the hosting tab at Color.

The DDoS attack: can't say much about it. Remember JiHost closed after an attack which lasted some weeks (extremely rare). If that'd happen to any host, they'd likely close down as well.

On the other side. You're the one who chose Color. Aren't you responsible to look out both for slot prices? Aren't you the one who should be comparing hosts in their DDoS protection? And aren't you the one who's WILLING to pay $20,00 for a hosted tab?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ColorHost promised you this after you paid:
-a server with the slots you paid for
-customer support
-hosted tab

Only on the third thing something went wrong. Which you got support for. They compensated your downtime (you got 2 free days). DDoS protection is nowhere mentioned in their ToS (and believe me, I read it all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanosie
Посмотреть сообщение
ROFL.