Procedural Plants

This is not so much a suggestion, just a message to Kalcor.

You said you didn't want to enable procedural objects/plants such as the rocks in the desert/country because they wouldn't be synced, which would cause problems due to the rocks/trees having collision, but looking in surfinfo.dat (surface info):

Quote:

# PROC_PLANT creates procedural plants
# PROC_OBJ creates procedural objects

Couldn't you just enable the plants? They don't have collision so sync wouldn't matter.

I know 0.3e is in feature lockdown but you enabled it before (0.2.2 RC3?) and I assume you could easily re-add it. Someone told me that it caused crashes, and if that is the case then I understand the reasons for not adding it, but hopefully one day it could be added.

If it was added however it ought to be toggleable via the server (TogglePlants(bool:toggle)) so servers have the option. San Andreas looks so.. bare, without the plants.

For anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about, compare these two images:

In single-player the plants etc. aren't enabled unless your FX quality is set to high, so this should (and probably can't not be) the same in SA:MP as I lagged quite bad on my laptop.

or let it be enabled by the client.. not the server for sure

A client cmd would be perfect.

Plants have been disabled because it could cause lag at some low-end PC's, objects has been disabled because of desync.

I don't know if it IS possible to enable ONLY the plants, as that file just determines which object surfaces produce plants and/or objects. It may not be possible to disable the objects but allow the plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackoX
Посмотреть сообщение
Plants have been disabled because it could cause lag at some low-end PC's, objects has been disabled because of desync.
I know the plants cause lag, which is why they should be toggleable. Now I think about it, the server shouldn't be able to toggle them, it should just be based on your display settings, but there should be a DisablePlants() function like DisableInteriorEnterExits().

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I still cant believe how there are people out there that cant afford a new PC. You can get a PC costing 299Ђ here that is able to run GTA SA without issues (or even cheaper).

Kye should seriously consider enabling the plants again or atleast give us an option to do so. This might sound weird but the missing plants are one of the reasons SA-MP gets boring so fast due to the dull environment (I want a forest that looks like a forest, not a lawn with tall trees on).

Before someone says "go map the plants then using a streamer", my response: please go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FufLa
Посмотреть сообщение
I still cant believe how there are people out there that cant afford a new PC. You can get a PC costing 299Ђ here that is able to run GTA SA without issues (or even cheaper).

Kye should seriously consider enabling the plants again or atleast give us an option to do so. This might sound weird but the missing plants are one of the reasons SA-MP gets boring so fast due to the dull environment (I want a forest that looks like a forest, not a lawn with tall trees on).

Before someone says "go map the plants then using a streamer", my response: please go
I know, unfortunately there are still a lot of people having a pentium 4 with 512mb ram and a 6600gt 128mb.

In this case plants should be enabled by default. If the plants cause laggs, you can disable the plants with a command.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2
Посмотреть сообщение
Now I think about it, the server shouldn't be able to toggle them, it should just be based on your display settings, but there should be a DisablePlants() function like DisableInteriorEnterExits().
It should be controllable by server since it may visually destroy many custom mappings (grass glitching through objects etc)

Thats why he said there should be an option to fully disable them on the server.

Does any one have or know where to get the location of all procedural plants?

Add the ABILITY to enable the plants, but enable them by default? Big, fat no.
However, clients should really be able to disable them, since it may disturb their FPS rate.
I fear that this would require a restart of the game though, so this would not be possible without the client to reconnect.

It could be an option in the sa-mp.cfg (like multicore?) with a command to toggle it ingame "Procedural Plants will be disabled/enabled the next time you connect to a server."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymetrix
Посмотреть сообщение
Does any one have or know where to get the location of all procedural plants?
They don't have coordinates - they are randomly generated on object surfaces that support them (defined in .dat files).

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I know, unfortunately there are still a lot of people having a pentium 4 with 512mb ram and a 6600gt 128mb.
I'm running a 6600gt on a Quad Core as a secondary, but it still plays GTA. :P

As for the grass, well I suppose it could be quite nice to get it back. A client-side command would be more preferable than a server-side function, though it'd be nice to have the function whether or not it'd be disabled by default etc.

No need for a COMMAND, it's toggleable via the display settings in single-player so would/should be the same in SA:MP.

I thought about it a few days ago and thought it could be a function such as the one you spoke TogglePlants eg because not everyone may want then each one could choose between having or not having
nice, good idea

Imagine this scenario:
You are in the desert area, sneaking into an enemy base to capture a flag objective,
on your screen you hide in a bush or behind one of these objects,
but the enemy guard has low settings and sees you just derping around in open ground, and kills you.
I must say, it's been a while since I have seen the desert in SP so I'm no 100% that the bushes are exactly big enough to hide in!

So in case they aren't big enough, imagine this other scenario:
You have a base in the desert, on your screen there is a small bush in the entrance to your flag room,
"Perfect position for a trip-mine!"
But on another player's screen, there is no bushes so he sees the trip-mine and avoids it!
Sure a server side setting could disable it for servers with gameplay dependent on these sorts of things.
But is it really all worth the hassle? It's only a visual thing, and people sure don't play SA:MP for the next gen shaders, high-res textures and dynamic lighting effects!

-

My point is, I can only see this having a negative effect on gameplay while only having a small positive effect on visuals.
Just my opinion, what is everyone else's thoughts?

It wouldn't DETRACT from that. At the minute it's not possible to hide in a bush or place mines, so it doesn't matter really.

Then people should disable the plants if they depend on the things you mentioned above. I, for myself, am tired of the dull environment while playing SA-MP.

I've ever been since they were removed in one of the 0.2.2 revisions (I think R3 had them removed).