What Interest you in a Roleplay Server?

Me and my friend are currently starting our own server and it's in Developing stage, and i would like to know what would interest people in joining the server and stay on the server and play on it daily?

We are planning on adding activities so players won't get bored at all, but can't reveal mutch info rergarding that yet.

Give your opinions what you would like to see in a Roleplay server and what you don't like.

IF you have players playing in your server then seeing them others will join.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samp_India
View Post
IF you have players playing in your server then seeing them others will join.
Good point that i already know But what would interested people in joining a new Roleplay server with no players yet.. and makes them stay with the community to grow bigger.

Nothing interests me about a RP server, there are so many!

There was a topic about same as this in Everything and Nothing, actually still is.

Now lets stop being hypocritical and saying "Nothing because its too many ho ho ho" it does not change the fact that there are some unique roleplay servers, Its no one's fault that there is too many servers, EVERYONE, any human wants to lead something, thats the human instinct we have from our ancestors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxthefish
View Post
Nothing interests me about a RP server, there are so many!

Also, I'm playing SA-MP to have fun and doing fun stuff, and not to "play" something I do everyday in school/at work/in the city.

Clearly if RP servers does not interest you.. why do we have so many that are successfull? Roleplay servers are better than the DM/Stun/ and whatever else servers you get currently.

So lets start again.. what made the current Roleplay servers so successfull? What interest you playing on them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HLF]Southclaw
View Post
That's a good point iNorton.

If I came to a RP server, I'd want to see something completely different, I mean even the terms and common words used, change them and be unique!

With the new clickable textdraws you could make some nice minigames, maybe two players can meet somewhere (a common area, or 'Non RP' area, somewhere where people can just chill as themselves and chat with other players) and play a game of cards or something, similar to the square on PS Home (If you've ever played that!)

Competing is always something people will go for, it's another human instinct! Maybe some minigames to keep people occupied, but nothing too outrageous, something that fits in with the whatever style you go for.
For instance, if you have a police station you could have a time trial target practice with random targets popping up on a range and you have to shoot them as fast as possible!

A good tip is, whenever you introduce a new kind of activity, make sure it's playable with multiple players and just one player. For instance, I recently worked on my racing script, now players can race each other or just do a time trial and set a best time for other players to try and beat!

One more thing, this is the hardest one and has been a challenge for game devs for a long while!
Give players the chance to be in limited control, say a player wants to go buy something, say, furniture for his house and the shop is shut. Why? Because no one has invested in it and made it usable.
The first obvious problem here is lack of players, if no one buys the shops other players can't use them.

Another problem is the fact that a player can just buy a shop and never think of it again, they get an income to buy more shops and thus win at life. They need a catch, something that they have to do to prevent losing the shop. Something like this would result in players not having enough time to manage too many shops and they would have to sort of 'work' for their money!

Good luck with your project! I'd like to see what it turns out like and what kinds of things you are adding! Keep me posted
Very nice feedback thanks!

I have played on RP servers, and the biggest problem I had with them is that after joining them, it is very unclear what to do. It takes, depending on the server, at least a full week until you understand the aspects of the setting and workings of the server. But not everyone is that patient.

I think a good explanation for new players, where the steps are explained after joining helps a lot.

Also, make an easy driving test

I think that aside from the same Role-Playing to achieve a particular rank is quite pointless when you think about it. When your players realise this, they will leave or get bored. It needs to be interesting because of the Role-Play experience, not the ranking up and money. In the end, it gets to a point where you have 50 cars and one of the best houses in the game. It gets boring, am I right?

I would suggest unique changes, all the time. Updated mapping and interaction between the players and the server. This means that there needs to be something happening all the time to "Wow" your players. I think, as Southclaw said, it needs to have activities to pass the time, but they need to be something different yet eloquently fitted to the server's theme. Role-Play for example would have things like club parties and robberies. These would give the players to be creative and use their Role-Play knowledge and experience to their own benefit. It's fun having unique events, and then shaping the outcome yourself. Particularly in Role-Play, where you don't necessarily need to be shooting at each other all the time.

Another matter is that you need to consider that most players in a Role-Play server need a lot of other players around in order to have fun. Once you develop your player-base (which is difficult when there are almost a million Role-Play servers), I'm sure that with new and exciting events and interaction happening your community can only grow from there.

Well, if you take something out of all of the positive comments here, I believe you will do well. Just remember to advertise and promote your server all the time and tell friends. Any way that you can get members would greatly help you.

Best of luck, and keep us updated on your progress!

Freddy.