Why not more than 500 slots?

Hey,

SA-MP has 500 slots as the maximum number of slots. Why not increasing the slots' number to 1000? Is it about the lags that will happen?

Why should it be increased? Hardly any server comes even close to 500 players at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
View Post
Why should it be increased? Hardly any server comes even close to 500 players at a time.
Agree!
Paying money without reason, because none of the online servers have 550+ players.
However, the players on that server will lag a lot.

3 or 4 servers only having 500 players and there are about 4216( approx) servers and it doesnt have much players.PlayHard, your server is having more than 500 players? ^^

Quote:
View Post
I understand your point but what if some of us got lucky and had like more than 500 players, an example, Russian servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas'
View Post
Agree!
Paying money without reason, because none of the online servers have 550+ players.
However, the players on that server will lag a lot.
That's right, but we can't expect what SA-MP is going to get in the future, maybe a lot of players and a really unique server for example. And I got to agree with you on the lag issue, but everything has a solution, right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironboy
View Post
3 or 4 servers only having 500 players and there are about 4216( approx) servers and it doesnt have much players.PlayHard, your server is having more than 500 players? ^^
Yeah lol, but look at these russian servers like 8 servers full of players. And I don't have a server yet, but I wouldn't mind having one ^^.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangsTa_
View Post
They will lag a lot, but here comes the question - why on MMO games there are like 2000 players in one location and they don't lag?
That's right and I agree with you about your point, MMO games doesn't lag.

They will lag a lot, but here comes the question - why on MMO games there are like 2000 players in one location and they don't lag?

Quote:
View Post
Seriously? Haven't it ever came into your mind that SAMP has a huge shitload of information due to player animation streams, pawn functions to the players and all those stuff. Seriously?

Quote:
View Post
MMOs got giant serverclusters with 100x more power and bandwidth than any sa-mp server. I doubt anyone would be willed to pay for that just to have 1000 slots on his server that never reaches more than 20.

Normal client-server structure theoretically causes quadratic traffic, so the double amount of players causes 4 times more traffic. This isnt exact, but exact enough for a short example.
Lets say a single player just causes the tiny hypothetic amount of 0,5 kilobytes total traffic (up and downstream) per second. The real traffic is a lot higher, this is just a minimal case.
So 1 player eats 0,5kb/s, 2 players 2kb/s, and so on. 100 players then need 5MB of traffic every second. 500 players would eat the giant amount of 125MB every second that could barely be handed with a modern gigabit connection. Thanks to intelligent systems like streaming etc to minimize this, but now imagine you got 1000 players. Where the hell do you want to get a connection that is able to handle 600MB/s peak speed? Thats a 5Gbit connection, just with minimal values.

@Stewie: SA-MP is quite economical, I think there are enough MMOs with even more data to manage.

Quote:
View Post
UIF does all the time if you weren't aware. Though it laggs a lot and 500's enough for a sa-mp server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauzen
View Post
MMOs got giant serverclusters with 100x more power and bandwidth than any sa-mp server. I doubt anyone would be willed to pay for that just to have 1000 slots on his server that never reaches more than 20.

Normal client-server structure theoretically causes quadratic traffic, so the double amount of players causes 4 times more traffic. This isnt exact, but exact enough for a short example.
Lets say a single player just causes the tiny hypothetic amount of 0,5 kilobytes total traffic (up and downstream) per second. The real traffic is a lot higher, this is just a minimal case.
So 1 player eats 0,5kb/s, 2 players 2kb/s, and so on. 100 players then need 5MB of traffic every second. 500 players would eat the giant amount of 125MB every second that could barely be handed with a modern gigabit connection. Thanks to intelligent systems like streaming etc to minimize this, but now imagine you got 1000 players. Where the hell do you want to get a connection that is able to handle 600MB/s peak speed? Thats a 5Gbit connection, just with minimal values.

@Stewie: SA-MP is quite economical, I think there are enough MMOs with even more data to manage.
I can tell you from experience that those numbers are not even close to being right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [94]Shady
View Post
I'd really like to see your server with more than 501 players who are willing to go in game at the same time. If you can do that, I'll give you 10 dollars..
I'll take my $10 in ones.