What is good music?

Hi.

I always liked to rant about (in my opinion) bad music (German Hip Hop and such horrible shit).

But since good and bad music may not be the same for two different person, I wondered, how would one actually define good and bad music?

Criterias:
  • Lyrics
  • Instruments
  • Singers/No singers
  • Ambience (Emo music may make you sad, Dance music happy? Etc....)
  • Style in general
  • Emotions when listening to a song
  • Etc.
How do you define good and bad music?
What is important to you?
You may post one or two examples...

Please do not start a war like Hip Hoppers vs. Metal Heads or something like this.

I like bands like Nightwish or Within Temptation.
I really like the combination of classical elements and big orchestras combined with heavy tones and a beautiful voice of a woman.
Within Temptation's songs' lyrics are about serious topics. Well, I can't quite describe it. Nightwish's ones I often don't quite get.
And their songs are also varied, no song is really the other.
Another important point is that their music is not electronic, they play real instruments and don't use autotune.
I do really like artificial music where the beats are computer generated by up to 100% and the singers voice has been extremely modified.
Nightwish - Meadows of Heaven: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmXk1UhlIgg[/ame]

I like for example Taylor Swift.
She's got a beautiful voice and the lyrics of her songs.
She's got some kind of humour I really like and how she writes songs, they are often quite personal.
From what I've seen on *******, I also like her as a person. She isn't the "Sex sells" kind of woman.

I like Demi Lovato's song "Skyscraper" because it's a pretty emotional song. You can also see that the song mirrors her real emotions when watching her music video.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8ydghbGSg&ob=av2e[/ame]

Oh I nearly forgot:
I can't stand German Hip Hop.
The rappers are anti-social A-holes in general, act like they are the kings of the world (while they are actually nobody).
And their songs are all about "I fuck you're mother", "You suck my dick, I'm your Boss, bitch.".
But there are also some good rappers like Blumio.

REMEMBER: Please do not start a war like Hip Hoppers vs. Metal Heads or something like this.

What about you?

I like everything if it's genuinely good.

If it's electronic music it must have trance style vocals standard 4x4 beat.

New rap and hiphop is definitely a no no, the old school stuff of course.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9s-hcVOP1I[/ame]

This is an example of classic 90's trance, proper proper music today's electronic music seems to be missing heart.

German Rap and Hip Hop is not shit!

Kollegah der Boss <3

Dripac, he didn't say it is shit, please don't attempt starting a fight. Double-O-Seven stated the fact styles etc are personal. If I don't like a kind of music, and you do, then that's my problem and not yours.

On-topic: depends on the mood. I just LOVE music, almost listening to it 24/7 and I'm quite of an emotional guy (*prepares for the trolls*) so meh. If I'll go to a party, I like listening to some low-IQ David Guetta things, to get in the party-mood. Or if I've got a hangover, just playing "David Guetta - Memories". I know, he's not the most deep-going artist, but I ain't deep-going either when I go to a party lol.

If I'm not in any particular mood, I mainly listen do DnB or Dubstep. And no, it's not filthier than Hitler ratio in WWII. I neither got an eargasm nor my neighbours complained about it. I just like it, that's it.

I also used to love grunge, I grew up with it, my brother continuously played Nirvana, and after a while I just liked it.

And I like the old Eminem music, we listened to it all time when I was in primary school. Gangsta, I know. Not liking his new things, but doesn't matter, if you like it I'll meh.

Anyhow, if I'm in a sad mood, I can really listen to some..sad songs. You know, those songs which exactly describe what you're feeling at that moment. Just beautiful as that, knowing someone else feels the same way like you. If you then put it on really hard, it's like your environment shouts out your pains. Sounds quite emo tbh. An example with a lol-title would be "Oasis - Stop Crying Your Heart Out", or the Rock Werchter live version of "Editors - No Sound But The Wind".

I like a lot of music genres, from classical to DnB, from Hard Rock to Rihanna, from Adele to The Prodigy. But the one genre I do not like is metal. As stated before, that's my problem, not yours.

I'll post two samples. A positive one and a more depressed one.

As I am human, love stole my heart. I'm in love with someone for over years, and there's not a single word which can describe it, but this particular DnB song comes quite close. ****** the lyrics, post them to your girlfriend and she might even cry. Lyrics can be found here, the video here.

The second song is a very sad one in my opinion. It's also DnB (didn't feel like posting the songs you hear on the radio every day) and if I'm very sad about someone, I almost continuously loop it. Gets me in some kind of trance =/ I know, lyrics are just one sentence repeated all over again. But it's so damn true. I lost a lot of friends before. Been through a lot, but that's personal. Anyhow, the lyrics are "I know you want to leave me, but I refuse to let you go" (by heart btw). Video is here. Simple song if you'd write it down. But to me, it's just...can't describe it. The remix of it, by ShockOne, is a little less sad, but it's also good.

Please don't think I'm depressed lol. I'm just emotional (: too emotional according to some people. Anyhow I've got great friends, I can count on them each and every minute of the day, and they can count on me.

Cheers.

I laugh at rap from other countries, like french rap is all like " roughssfrere sucksass steit" lol..

Rock Is not bad.

Such as :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Er8obVq07s[/ame]

I don't like all the rap...

I like more electro and sometimes funny songs lol....

For me its all about the beat and bass! I listen to many songs with different languages which I dont understand but I listen just coz I like the beat and bass!

"This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between posts. Please try again in 18 seconds." >.>

1 word - dubstep. It is very intense, usually in 145 bpm. I also listen to drum n bass, trance and electro, but i love dubstep the most. My favorite producers are nero, zed bias, doctor p, zeds dead , flux pavilion and koan sound. What i like about it is not only that its intense but also that it's not mainstream (except for skrillex ._.)

I listen to music just because of the beat and rhythm..That's why I mostly listen to dubstep.

I listen Hop-Hop and mostly songs from my country!