Bent CPU Pin on motherboard....

Okay guys, please help me with this:

I was building a computer today and the first time I attempted to put the CPU in the socket, I placed it the wrong way. I bent 1 pin but I continued to assemble the rest of the computer anyways.

When it was done, I turned on the power supply, turned on the computer......no lights..no display..no anything. The only thing that happens is that 1 fan spins for about half a second. So I know that the motherboard is receiving some power for a little period of time. I called Newegg, and they think it is the bent pin too.

Does anyone know a way to fix the bent pin or am I forced to buy a new motherboard? I heard there are some ways with a sewing pin or something. One whole day of building and a lot of money is now wasted..

Please anyone tell me some secrets to fix it or do I have to pay another $200??

Thank you.

If your motherboard doesn't even turn on, that's not the bent pin, as already happened to me some bad configurations made my motherboard do what your is exactly doing, i had to Clear the CMOS ( taking out the small battery )

But you better be sure you have your CPU sitted correctly, i also have one bent pin ( broken also ) and my MB still works :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlashPT
Посмотреть сообщение
If your motherboard doesn't even turn on, that's not the bent pin, as already happened to me some bad configurations made my motherboard do what your is exactly doing, i had to Clear the CMOS ( taking out the small battery )

But you better be sure you have your CPU sitted correctly, i also have one bent pin ( broken also ) and my MB still works :3
Well the one fan spins for about half a second then nothing happens besides that. I don't know what to do though to fix it. If its not the bent pin then what? I need more detail or something. How do I troubleshoot?

Firstly you're sure your CPU is correctly sitted?

Secondly it could happen like me , putting all things on one cable of my PSU and it didn't supported it as it was too many things on one single cable...

Check if you didn't forgot any cable like CPU Power Cable, or others...

Be sure you have enought power though i think it doesn't affect on the start...

There are many reasons that can be bothering you...

Well simply to say "You're Fucked" if you a warranty from a shop from it run into it asap I guess... maybe they will give you new one.

Thats why you should look for expert then trying it on your own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNorton
Посмотреть сообщение
Well simply to say "You're Fucked" if you a warranty from a shop from it run into it asap I guess... maybe they will give you new one.

Thats why you should look for expert then trying it on your own...
Bent Pins from CPU Socket aren't covered by warranty i sent my MB one time to the warranty because some problem it had and they rejected it because of the bent cpu pin...

brake something else and take it to warranty

Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with what I did. So its either two theories:

1. The bent cpu pin on the motherboard causes this..?
2. The motherboard is defective.

could possibly be a bad PSU too.

Well. I don't know but, maybe trying pulling the HDD cables correctly, not sure tho.

It could be your bent socket pin, that's quite hard to tell. (if it's bent it might still make contant, or it might touch another pin, strangely I have no idea if that's bad but I doubt that it's good either). Troubleshooting is hard to explain to someone with less experience and without the proper equipment, a computer that does not startup at all can have numerous reasons for doing so. For one is there no light on the mobo that turns or blinks at all? Are you absolutely sure you have connected all wires CORRECTLY? Are you sure you don't have too much on one wire? Not starting up at all is usally something with the mobo or the PSU if your CPU is broken IIRC it gives a loud beep at hardware check however in this case theres a bent pin which might create a short circuit?

Try to check all wires, maybe reconnect them, find the CMOS battery on the motherboard, which is a small round silver battery, usally near the PCI slots, take it out and put it back in (I highly doubt this is the cause, but it's worth a shot). If you really can't find the cause, you could try asking on forums that are made for computer related problems, in those forums state which as much detail and perhaps pictures. If all of that doesen't work go to a computer shop and ask politely if they can take a look, they usally have some good equipment that makes it very easy. Just ask if the checks will cost you money, I have had my PSU checked for malfunction multiple times, they did it for free.

Check your PSU wattage, maybe PSU doesn`t have enough power? Try with PSU with more wattage. Also try to correct the bent pin

If your CPU is AMD post on this forum
http://www.overclock.net/f/10/amd-cpus

If its Intel post here
http://www.overclock.net/f/5/intel-cpus

Dont let the website name mislead you pretty good people there

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolumadd_
Посмотреть сообщение
Well, I don't think there is anything wrong with what I did. So its either two theories:

1. The bent cpu pin on the motherboard causes this..?
2. The motherboard is defective.
Your PC doesn't POST. Look around the web for no POST troubleshooting guides.

You bend you CPU pin because of leak of experience, you should have known better before touching such a motherboard.
When you got the motherboard delivered it says so in the manual, plus there's also a cover on the socket which is one of the many warning you get.
You cannot return this for RMA, no warrenty, no way to fix it, you need to buy another motherboard.

Perhaps try bending it back?

You probably shorted something out if you tried running with the CPU in the wrong way. Another thing to check if the mobo actually powers up without the CPU in place, this will cause the PC to just sit there and beep (If it still turns off your mobo is fucked basically.

Dude,

1. Check if the LED on the mother board lights up. If it doesn't you are probably screwed my friend.
2. Re seat the ram ( It does wonders )
3. Lets think about this.... If your CPU if broke you would typically get a POST code. I'm also surprised someone in here would think that a computer would boot up with out a CPU even into the BIOS it wouldn't happen. But i would expect a post code.

[A+ Cert]

You're fucked, mate.

Next time, get some PC-building expert to build it for ya rather than trying on your own.

Oh well. I'm going to take off the processor and the heatsink today and just see what the motherboard does. If anything happens on the motherboard (lights or anything), I'll try to fix the pin and reapply the processor. If it still doesn't work...I just I'll be forced to pay for another motherboard.

Could it have affected my processor too though?