[REL] Cyanide & Happiness Collection (#1)

→ About

I didn't purposely name myself over a comic. I didn't even know about when I first decided to call myself Cyanide. Cyanide is a toxic compound. More information is found here. Anyway, I started to enjoy the comic "Cyanide and Happiness" and decided to create a simple application where the program would randomly show a comic when the client presses the "Random" button (As you can see from the image above). The program will show up to 50 different comics. I plan on releasing another collection of the comic.

→ Features
  • User friendly GUI
  • Simple application understanding.
  • One click process.
  • 50 different comics to look through.
→ Download

<link removed>

→ Credits

Cyanide - Project Launcher & Developer
explosm - Comics.

→ Other Notes

Any comments?

hmmm ... Cool!

Is this your first application or something?

I dont really understand why you wanted to make an Application to display 50 C&H comics randomly! Why release an application that is completely centered around other people's work, and doesnt even remotely match the functionality the creators offer? You honestly should've just linked them to Explosm if you were trying to spread the word about this comic series. The original site has a much better design, more functionality, more comics, advertising to support the site, animated shorts (videos), etc! Your's is extremely limited, in order to even add new comics you have to release a new application. Were you planning to release hundreds of versions?

This might've been a good starting project for you, but honestly you should've at LEAST worked on it some more before releasing it. There's nothing wrong with introducing a rivaling (legal) service, but you should always make sure you at LEAST match the functionality of the other service lol. Here's some tips for future releases / application development in general:
  • Try to take it easy on the images. Everything in your application has a different image, this isnt very friendly at all, it just looks like a huge mess. The background/button images just look completely out of place.
  • Scaling/Aspect ratio. When dealing with applications (especially something like your's) you want to keep these two things in mind when displaying images. This by far was one of the more annoying things about your application. A lot of comics were either extremely stretched out, or extremely compressed (making it hard to read). You should've accounted for different sized Images using layouts; If your API doesnt support layouts, you could've even coded the functionality (set the application's size based on the image's size). You should look into this if you're gonna make another version or something.
  • Post your source code. On this forum everything needs to include a source, unless otherwise stated by a developer. Posting your source gives piece of mind, and also can teach people less experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosaur
Посмотреть сообщение
Is this your first application or something?

I dont really understand why you wanted to make an Application to display 50 C&H comics randomly! Why release an application that is completely centered around other people's work, and doesnt even remotely match the functionality the creators offer? You honestly should've just linked them to Explosm if you were trying to spread the word about this comic series. The original site has a much better design, more functionality, more comics, advertising to support the site, animated shorts (videos), etc! Your's is extremely limited, in order to even add new comics you have to release a new application. Were you planning to release hundreds of versions?

This might've been a good starting project for you, but honestly you should've at LEAST worked on it some more before releasing it. There's nothing wrong with introducing a rivaling (legal) service, but you should always make sure you at LEAST match the functionality of the other service lol. Here's some tips for future releases / application development in general:
  • Try to take it easy on the images. Everything in your application has a different image, this isnt very friendly at all, it just looks like a huge mess. The background/button images just look completely out of place.
  • Scaling/Aspect ratio. When dealing with applications (especially something like your's) you want to keep these two things in mind when displaying images. This by far was one of the more annoying things about your application. A lot of comics were either extremely stretched out, or extremely compressed (making it hard to read). You should've accounted for different sized Images using layouts; If your API doesnt support layouts, you could've even coded the functionality (set the application's size based on the image's size). You should look into this if you're gonna make another version or something.
  • Post your source code. On this forum everything needs to include a source, unless otherwise stated by a developer. Posting your source gives piece of mind, and also can teach people less experienced.
Thank you for your reply. This isn't my first application. You're correct in what you have stated. I built this in about one hour, I honestly just quickly wrote the source code. I usually would have people suggesting and supporting my project. But, clearly this released project wasn't one of them. However, this was my first time building an application that doesn't involve the Multi Theft Auto community. For example, the project I'm linking was built in a reasonable amount of time (Click me.) The linked project was suggested, and supported by community members.

I'm not the biggest fan of a open source project besides San Andreas Multiplayer or Multi Theft Auto related. Therefore, i'll remove the executable link. Thank you for your notification.

I love the series though, awesome to know other members enjoy it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide
Посмотреть сообщение
Thank you for your reply. This isn't my first application. You're correct in what you have stated. I built this in about one hour, I honestly just quickly wrote the source code. I usually would have people suggesting and supporting my project. But, clearly this released project wasn't one of them. However, this was my first time building an application that doesn't involve the Multi Theft Auto community. For example, the project I'm linking was built in a reasonable amount of time (Click me.) The linked project was suggested, and supported by community members.

I'm not the biggest fan of a open source project besides San Andreas Multiplayer or Multi Theft Auto related. Therefore, i'll remove the executable link. Thank you for your notification.
Why dont you like open source projects? If you were to release the source people new to application development could learn from it, experienced users could comment and help improve it (thus teaching you), and it provides piece of mind to everyone using it.

There are really only a few cases where i think open source doesnt work - most of which involve multiple users and/or money xD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Staff
Посмотреть сообщение
I love the series though, awesome to know other members enjoy it too.
Same! I used to view the site daily lol. At one point i lost interest though, because for an entire month only Kris was producing worth while content imo (hope that isnt the case still).

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Why dont you like open source projects? If you were to release the source people new to application development could learn from it, experienced users could comment and help improve it (thus teaching you), and it provides piece of mind to everyone using it.

There are really only a few cases where i think open source doesnt work - most of which involve multiple users and/or money xD.

-
I'm simply not that type of person who really is interested in leaving projects opensource. I'm not even satisfied when I release my includes, because it has to be open source (signature). I understand your perspective though! Thank you for your concern however.

Why did you remove the link!? I wanted to download it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn
Посмотреть сообщение
Why did you remove the link!? I wanted to download it!!
He removed the link because he wasnt willing to share the source code, which is a requirement. You can see all the comics on http://www.explosm.net/comics/ though.

Quote:
View Post
He removed the link because he wasnt willing to share the source code, which is a requirement. You can see all the comics on http://www.explosm.net/comics/ though.
Oh :/