"Unique", the most overrated word in SA-MP history.

You'll see it everywhere, and with that, I mean everywhere.
"Join my unique server", "I'm making an unique server", "Your server has to be unique!".
It's in the Server support section, it's in the advertisement section, it's in every section you can think of.
And you know what, you guys are wrong, dead wrong.

Why? Let me explain.

On paper, it all sounds so nice. "Hey, let's make an unique server! Then we'll have 1337 players and be king of SA-MP!!!!11". But it doesn't work like this.
People actually don't like unique things. And this not only refers to SA-MP, but to real life aswell.
People like to 'go with the flow', going wherever the mass is heading. Hence the 'recent' uprising of all those RP servers. People like RP servers, so more of them appear.
In other words: people like things they are familiar with.

Think about it. In your everyday life, you don't want to be 'unique' either. You want to be a part of something, maybe even be like someone. You don't want to be different from everyone else.

In the end, it appears that unique servers are likely to fail. Why? People don't know what to do. You can't blame it all on the massive outburst of 1-day-servers because, hey, on how many truely unique servers have you played? (and still play)

That's what I had to say,
Infinity

PS: Hardly anything in SA-MP is truely unique. I just had to add that.

What I specially hate, are those people who post how "Unique" their server is in their signature. After all, IT'S A GF EDIT. Either that, or it has THOUSANDS of lines copied from another source. So GTFO away with your "Unique" server.(Mainly talking about RP)

Agreed.

If windows designed a completely new OS called Windows Unique that was COMPLETELY different from the old systems I doubt many would like It, same goes for Roleplay servers.

Some takes unique as copying whole gamemod, then putting in for example: diffrent car system and look, its diffrend than yours so its unique :P
WRONG
But also, some of the people like unique stuff. I, for eample, would love to play on some totaly diffrent server ^^ and this stops when there ain't any xD.
Someone said diffrent OS. I think we wouldn't use it cause we are too lazy to learn something new. You finnaly think you know how to use something, so why would I take my time to learn something new, but at the end I would come to same result

My worthless Unique Script is now just a waste of time? Then perphaps I should just release it, but will take some time to explain a few features before I do:

The economy is about payment for a job you're actively doing instead of simply paid every Real Hour that goes by, for instance, you're working as a simple crew member at Burger Shot making $8 every Game Hour for as long as the place of business is open anyways (6am - 10pm). The job has no requirements, so anyone at all can do it without a Driver's License, Education, Previous Job Experience, etc.

But let's look at what I'm currently building at this very moment, a business system. The way I understand it, the way it basically is out there currently is simply buying some business & then earn income from it ever so often with not having to do very much. But my system will be very diffirent (Thus Unique), first you lease for a Game Month rather than actually ever owning it. Then each object such as Toilets, Ovens, Coolers contribute to the bills such as Electricity, Water, Gas, Trash & whatnot that also must be paid at the end of the month along with whatever Lease Costs. The products you sell at your Leased Business include Clothing, Food, Tools & whatnot which must be first ordered before able to sell when/if you run out of stock of a certain product your business sells...

Allow me to introduce the customization of the plan here though, players leasing such a business have total control over it, yet must run it smoothly or watch the business just run into the ground costing more than profits. Players can set: Buildings, Interiors, Objects, Pickups, Vehicles, Map Icon, NPCs. They of course can change the name of thier business, lock the doors, open the doors, set the store's hours, set the prices, even set Job Positions offered at thier business. In order to sell Fast Food (Cluckin Bell for example) the player will need to purchase & place the following items/objects: Counters, Register, Tables, Chairs, Coolers, Work/Cook Tables, Fryers/Ovens/Grills, Cups, Product Displays, Menus, Desk/PC/Phone, Trash Containers & Certifacations...

Fast Food, employees there are found running from the cooler to the prep tables to whatever cooking appilances, then delivering finished food products to the customers (Player or NPC). Now, depending on how you setup your business with space & the correct objects is how much business your building can handle. Everything must also be placed correctly (Like playing a Sim or Tycoon game, sorta) to succeed with the business & start raking in profit. You'll have upgrade interiors, doors, add-ons (Drive Thru, Area Delivery, Etc.) in order to expand profits. The prices must be right or chase away some business (Mainly NPC Business). If you run out of food for the day, reorder more product on your next truck (Comes every Midnight) because you can't/won't sell what you don't have which just means you're wasting power & wages by keeping your business open with nothing further to sell...

Point being:
Unique is bad? Well, is there anyone out there that would consider MY unique idea interesting, maybe just a little?!
Or ignore what they say (Be yourself) & start following everyone else? (GF Edits, I guess?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGh0stz
View Post
<text>
And your playerbase is..?

I fully agree with the OP, not just because I'm Dutch as well, but because it's true: I've been part of a refreshing roleplay server a few months ago which did not achieve very much players.It kinda gets me angry, but on the other side there's nothing you can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
View Post
Think about it. In your everyday life, you don't want to be 'unique' either. You want to be a part of something, maybe even be like someone. You don't want to be different from everyone else.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this bit, I prefer to be unique, have my own style and do not want to be like anyone else.

Other than that I think you make a valid point about the unique servers.

There's no server for my work atm, so the playerbase is simply NA

However, the features I've mentioned earlier (Economy/Business) are certainly unique (Or at least I've haven't found any SA-MP Server that even comes close to these features) which I would think keeps players returning to explore more because even if the only one online, you still got alot to do etc. Well, actually the server's 1st impression is the most important, I've had an Intro Story (Cutscenes) & even the /Register or /Login have no effect, you're first put on a mission to register (By speaking with NPCs) by City Hall etc. That's when you fill a First, Middle, Last, Nickname for your character (Not by using First_Last Formats). Even fill out a Game Profile for yourself, but these are just example Unique Features that I think attract & keep players... Guess I could be wrong though, perphaps switch off to a GF-Edit & be just like everyone else :P

I completely agree with OP. It's hard coming up with unique ideas for my server, or the easy ideas are impossible to script.

For Once, OP is NOT a faggot :P

I actually beg to differ, sure a lot of people stick with the normal which tends to be RP now a days, however for the past 2 and half years Tannz0rz, MrSns and I have worked at bringing a truly unique zombie experience to samp and have.....sure we have had our ups and downs, but have remain pretty popular in our eyes. We started with a blank script and have what we like to call a "themed" TDM server with RPG elements. Unlike other zombie servers we do not have zombies with weapons, zombies that drive or other absurd things you probably would not see in a zombie apocalypse. Not only do we stand apart from the rest of the zombie servers, we remain in our players eyes, not only the best but the most unique zombie server on samp. I have still yet to see another zombie server with as many custom attacks as we have and we are not even done yet.

So while you say do not make a unique server I do not agree. Sure I agree the word gets used all to often but to tell people "stick with the masses it's what they want" I am sorry but sometimes a heard of sheep would fall off a cliff without a shepherd. When it comes to masses we as humans would like to view ourselves well above animals but we are not....so much like the sheep, mass amounts of people sometimes do not even know what they want till it is right in front of there face or someone shows them the way. In that regard I wish more people would dare to be different they may find out people wanted something all along but never knew they wanted it......

True, "unique" is very overrated, but it's the word most common for people to use, and yes, there is a lot of RP servers coming up, but even TDM's have RPG elements, using to buy businesses in other servers, etc.

I agree with what Infinity and Lethal have said. It's over-rated, over-used and just pointless. "Hey! We're unique, just like everyone else!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
View Post
Infinifail's very long post
Indeed Infinifail. Hence why I never did anything original, and Adam always liked to flip an assfuck at me everytime I made a script.

I never advertised PB, or anything at all, as unique.. It's a stupid thing to to.. Plus, no one with a successful server advertises it as "133.7% UNIQUE!".. It just doesn't work.

By definition, it's not unique if it has been done before.

But is a server defined as unique as a whole, or based on some number of elements being unique?

Does it really matter if it's unique.....

You can't really act or appear unique.... everything you do is based off of someone or something else, it's like trying to imagine a colour that does not exist... lol.

inb4 "unique" server owners come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimR
View Post
You can't really act or appear unique.... everything you do is based off of someone or something else, it's like trying to imagine a colour that does not exist... lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retardedwolf
View Post
inb4 "unique" server owners come.
IM A SERVER OWNER OK I OWN A SERVER THATS UNIQUE IT'S 20,000 LINES BUT I HAVE 1 PROBLEM.. ITS THE FUCKING HOSPITAL BILL THAT KEEPS FUCKING CHARGING ME $500 ON SPAWN!!!1111111!!!!!1111 AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO WORK MY /FAMILIES AND I SPAWN AS A FUCKIN CLOWN SKIN.. FUCK HATE ITTTTTTTTT JESUS CHRIST MY SERVER IS UNIQUE AND YOU FUCKERS CALL IT UNUNIQUE? I HATE YOU ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL IM TIRED OF SAMP I RAGEQUITTT SCREW THIS YOU KEEP JUDGING MY SERVRERRE

^ Example of some kid who calls an edit, uniqueness. Roleplay servers are the same. There are actually good ones out there that don't get any players. It's sad.

The unique servers are the ones with all the players.

I shall make a new fad. my server is 'based' x)

I must show my clear disagree on posts like this. I know it's not your idea (To the poster), but you are attacking Liberty. I am free to host a Godfather server and play with my friends and talk in whatever the language I want to, ban whoever I want to, kick whoever I want.

I am literally allowed to ban on connection, and call my server the 'Noobest server on earth', and you can't complain about this.

Hosting the worst server on earth is not a crime nor it's breaking ethics and therefore it's not that hard to find another server to have fun in.

I don't know why you got annoyed on 13 years old people, considering you were that age too, and you were probably more immature than them and probably also wanted to have some sense of ownership (who wasn't played to control bases with friends or have kind of armies).

The world has fighted for YEARS and YEARS to get liberty, and then you guys are simply attacking that.

Please stop this kind of posts, it's not even discussable, it's clear, they are allowed to do that.