Linux Server [ASK]

I'm newbie here, trying to make a server.
I've used Windows and now I'm interested in trying Linux.

Actually I'm not good at the networking, just can scripting. Here are some of my questions, Thanks for all answers.
1. I'm using Ubuntu, and Ubuntu has got ssh at the command line, right? So, I just install Putty with sudo apt-get install putty?
2. There's "libstdc++ 6" in the Requirmenet, do I need it? If yes, can you give me the link to the website explaining about that?
3. How to display the server log in the Terminal? Can it be?

I want to buy VPS. I need base knowledge of Ubuntu, my ubuntu & it's samp server is still fine and working, but maybe the VPS I'll buy later needs anything, so if you can answer, please answer

Thanks for all of your reply, all replies are appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashBlitz
Посмотреть сообщение
I'm newbie here, trying to make a server.
I've used Windows and now I'm interested in trying Linux.

Actually I'm not good at the networking, just can scripting. Here are some of my questions, Thanks for all answers.
1. I'm using Ubuntu, and Ubuntu has got ssh at the command line, right? So, I just install Putty with sudo apt-get install putty?
2. There's "libstdc++ 6" in the Requirmenet, do I need it? If yes, can you give me the link to the website explaining about that?
3. How to display the server log in the Terminal? Can it be?

I want to buy VPS. I need base knowledge of Ubuntu, my ubuntu & it's samp server is still fine and working, but maybe the VPS I'll buy later needs anything, so if you can answer, please answer

Thanks for all of your reply, all replies are appreciated
1. You don't need putty, you have ssh in your terminal. Just open up a terminal and type: "ssh user@my.box.com" and it will prompt for your password.

2. libstdc++ comes by default with any linux distribution, and all current distributions comes with libstdc++6. Note you may need a 32 bit version for some plugins if you are runing in a 64 bits box. i think there is a lib32stdc++ package to install 32 bit version in 64 bits boxes.

3. tail -f server_log.txt
You will see the log in real time. When you get tired of seing the log, you just press ctrl+c.

Good luck in your server adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore
Посмотреть сообщение
1. You don't need putty, you have ssh in your terminal. Just open up a terminal and type: "ssh user@my.box.com" and it will prompt for your password.

2. libstdc++ comes by default with any linux distribution, and all current distributions comes with libstdc++6. Note you may need a 32 bit version for some plugins if you are runing in a 64 bits box. i think there is a lib32stdc++ package to install 32 bit version in 64 bits boxes.

3. tail -f server_log.txt
You will see the log in real time. When you get tired of seing the log, you just press ctrl+c.

Good luck in your server adventure
Thank you very much!