External HDD problem(s)

Hello everybody!

Yesterday I got an external hard drive (Freecom XS 2TB) from my buddy. He has experienced the same problem as I do: Windows recognizes it as a drive, but says it's not allocated and unknown and is not shown in My Computer

As you can see

but disk management says it's not allocated and unknown, and nothing appears in My Computer.

Then I downloaded Easeus Partition Master, and it recognized the drive too. But when I try to create a new partition, it says me "The media is write-protected". Same happens also If I try to format the drive.

The drivers are not (probably) causing this

EDIT: Using Windows 7, x64 of course

Anyone has experienced the same or has a solution for this?

Regards

I found a similar issue topic.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=1315044641984

On the last page there are some things with similar messages like you had and one reply by TheOneOfLight says:

1. Unplug your HD's USB from the PC then plug it back in so Windows recognizes it.
2. Turn off sleep by going to Control Panel > Power Options. Set "Put computer to sleep" to "Never"

What the ****? That does not actually help me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku
Посмотреть сообщение
What the ****? That does not actually help me
I'm pretty sure you're not the only one with this problem. If nothing really helps it might be broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlip
Посмотреть сообщение
If nothing really helps it might be broken.
That's what I thought too. Must search for some kind of software to format the drive.

If you have a mac try disk utility. Even an old mac will work, (With mac OSX 10.3 or higher)

Does the hard drive have an external power source or does it just run off the usb power?

Is the drive USB2.0 compatible? I know many manufacturers are moving to the new USB3.0 shiz, not sure what the new type entails, but I know it causes issues on older, unsupportive operating systems (like the one you're describing). I also know that most HDD's (ext) need a power source. If it is USB powered, ensure the hub is setup/compatible AND (IF usb3.0) both USB leads are plugged in, as most USB3.0 ports don't have a n in-built power source.

Thanks for your answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowster
Посмотреть сообщение
Does the hard drive have an external power source or does it just run off the usb power?
External power source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky1234
Посмотреть сообщение
Is the drive USB2.0 compatible? I know many manufacturers are moving to the new USB3.0 shiz, not sure what the new type entails, but I know it causes issues on older, unsupportive operating systems (like the one you're describing). I also know that most HDD's (ext) need a power source. If it is USB powered, ensure the hub is setup/compatible AND (IF usb3.0) both USB leads are plugged in, as most USB3.0 ports don't have a n in-built power source.
It should be compatible with USB 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjying95
Посмотреть сообщение
Maybe HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool can help you? I use that to format my pendrive after I ****ed it up.
What if I'm not using a HP computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydn
Посмотреть сообщение
If you have a mac try disk utility. Even an old mac will work, (With mac OSX 10.3 or higher)
I'm using Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Staff
Посмотреть сообщение
Have you tried allocating it? ....
That's the point. When I try to allocate it, it says me the media is write protected.

Still having this problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku
Посмотреть сообщение
What if I'm not using a HP computer?
You don't need to use a HP computer to use that tool, you should give it a try.