Reasons NOT to use "SA-MP Live"

Why I never will use "SA-MP Live"
by Gamer_Z
This topic is only to make you aware of the dangers (and possible dangers) of using "SA-MP live"

Well, you may think it's a cool tool but let's take a look behind the minds of a few people.
But before we are going to take that look, let's first glance at the application:

"This application requires Administrator rights to run";
Which means the application can
-take control of our whole computer
-do ANYTHING it wants with our system

And that means it can be a vulnerability, but it shouldn't be yes? Because it's already downloaded to our PC
and it's 'only' "186KB".

So I fire up VMware

And have examined the app further and you don't need to be a genius to see that it's DOWNLOADING
something from a remote web server (WHILE it still has the Administrator Rights!),

But when downloading with such high privilidges it makes your PC very vulnerable,

Making a FUD (Fully Undetectable [ Scantime + Runtime ]) virus or keylogger is nothing hard in this times and let's
say that a virus doesn't need to be bigger than 50 000 bytes (50 KB).
And Even if the authors of SA-MP Live don't want to virus us, then their web server can be compromised and an attacker could
upload his virus or include it into the sa-mp live application. - Nothing hard for a amateur hacker/script kiddy.

Also after installing it into a fake GTA directory I noticed it takes up to 55 MB of space, hell of a lot!
Note that they did not let you know that it will take 55MB, the application states it will only need '200KB' (which is the live updater itself)
and after the updater launches it won't say how much it needs, it just keeps going on without asking users permission.
Their FAQ doesn't answer my question too: "What are the (free space) requirements?".

We are now going into the 'psychologic' part.

Now I think you are aware you can EASILY be virused, trojaned, whatever or even an part of a Bot-Network
(Which is illegal in most countries, even if you don't know you are you can be arrested just because your PC is part of it)
So if the authors want a BotNetwork they can have it, If the authors won't it then an attacker (hacker/script kiddy) could easily do it.
It's just a matter of time before anti virus software detects it but if it takes one month to detect that the virus exists
then it will take another month to examine it and make removal procedures (without having to reformat your PC).

Now just because the authors are "Trusted" people doesn't mean they are 'Approved'.
I even think most people who are aware of the dangers don't really trust them.

Firstly of all, the developers are running 'SACNR' - a sa-mp server, so that is concurency.
Let's say they made a 'plugin' for their own server to do something the user doesn't know it will happen.
For example download a file, scan users documents, extract passwords from internet browsers, whatever.
This is Closed source software so the authors have the possibility to do anything in their application they want to.
Including making us not aware what they created in they software, maybe they made sa-mp live but maybe it's not the
software they intend to make, like I said, it's easy to make a bot network, virus, password extractors, etc.
And because this application uses an installer and uninstaller the behaviour can be seen as CLEAN software even by modern norton antivirus software.

Or even maybe they did make something to get our harware ID's, MAC Adresses? Just to make a ban system on their own server,
So users which don't have sa-mp live installed can change ip and get on the server but cheaters using sa-mp live will just be banned forever on sacnr.
Easy right?

Well I made you aware of the dangers, I hope you make a wise choise using this software.
Again: This is not meant to NOT use the software, This topic is only to make you aware of the dangers.

in short:
1)I won't recommend it until the installer will include the whole software, so you can check MD5, SHA-1 sums to check if nothing has been modified in the installer.
2)Until it will be open source, so they cannot do anything behind our back

if you have your own reasons why not to use this software please post in this topic ;]

Kind regards,
GZ

Also JernejL posted something, and I want to add a reason by me too why it's so suspicious:
Most software is meant to make money OR be open source,
this software (SA-MP Live) isn't meant to make money, advertise, or even be open source so that's also a reason why it's suspicious.

Take a look:
SA-MP is meant to make money, and closed source.
FireFox is meant to make no money but is open source.
****** Chrome is and free closed source web browser, it doesn't need to make money because it's a billion money corporation which earns on Advertisement.

I'm sure Blacklite's network is very secure... SACNR is a big community which can be hacked any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_Z
Again: This is not meant to NOT use the software, This topic is only to make you aware of the dangers.
You contradict that point throughout the thread. Not to mention by the topic title itself.

Also, I suggest you learn about the features of SA-MP Live and you may find answers to many of your virus/trojan/malware theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakr
Посмотреть сообщение
You contradict that point throughout the thread. Not to mention by the topic title itself.

Also, I suggest you learn about the features of SA-MP Live and you may find answers to many of your virus/trojan/malware theories.
Do you have a list of features?

Also they included their own home brew web browser, which CAN NOT concurrent with any modern browsers like chrome, IE9, maybe they included FireFox code but anyway it won't be as secure as the original firefox, such browser will have many vulneralybilitys.

Theirs website and forum sux so hard just because all the information is VERY incomplete.

This is one of most retarded things i read this week.

ANY software can be unsafe, you ofcourse need to give your trust in some software's maker, you claim that "sa-mp live could be trojaned" and that's the reason enough not to use it..

Well, so can be windows, mac os, fraps, EVEN FIREFOX COULD BEEN TROJANED OR ANYTHING ELSE. sa-mp live is NOT trojaned, but just because it could be then not use it?

HELL that logic can be applied to you aswell, you COULD be a even-more-evil clone of kim jong il, that's why you can't be trusted and spew out bullshit ideas.. OH WAIT, DEJA-VU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JernejL
Посмотреть сообщение
This is one of most retarded things i read this week.

ANY software can be unsafe, you ofcourse need to give your trust in some software's maker, you claim that "sa-mp live could be trojaned" and that's the reason enough not to use it..

Well, so can be windows, mac os, fraps, EVEN FIREFOX COULD BEEN TROJANED OR ANYTHING ELSE. sa-mp live is NOT trojaned, but just because it could be then not use it?

HELL that logic can be applied to you aswell, you COULD be a even-more-evil clone of kim jong il, that's why you can't be trusted and spew out bullshit ideas.. OH WAIT, DEJA-VU!
Sure ANY software can be unsafe, especially Firefox (open source), Chrome (closed source) which are web browsers and can have many vulns to enter your system. Howerver if it gets to security Chrome is just good because it got the ****** team to program it (which are good coders) and FF is open source so anyone can fix vulns.
In this case it's Closed source and has VERY many vulns.

And yes IF I was the author of SA-MP Live and i did not release the source (but I doubt, I always release) then if it was closed source, sure I'd use it for something behind it's real thing. Like i would just get everyones mac adresses and ban stupid cheaters forever.

Also MOST software does not require administrator rights which makes you less vulnerable for most things, and FireFox at LEAST ask users permission for everithing, FRAPS doesn't even auto check for updates.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Sure ANY software can be unsafe, especially Firefox (open source), Chrome (closed source) which are web browsers and can have many vulns to enter your system. Howerver if it gets to security Chrome is just good because it got the ****** team to program it (which are good coders) and FF is open source so anyone can fix vulns.
In this case it's Closed source and has VERY many vulns.

And yes IF I was the author of SA-MP Live and i did not release the source (but I doubt, I always release) then if it was closed source, sure I'd use it for something behind it's real thing. Like i would just get everyones mac adresses and ban stupid cheaters forever.
So I guess we shouldn't use SA:MP until it's open source either?

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
So I guess we shouldn't use SA:MP until it's open source either?
SA-MP has been analysed by very many people, nobody did report a virus yet,
SA-MP live is either new software so we have to get some high specs computer nerds to disasemble the app and take a look what is't doing behind our back.

Also SA-MP is made to make money, so WHY would kyle include a virus and NOT earn money?
It was his choice:
- Make money with sa-mp, clean app
but if he chose to include a thing that will be doing things behind our back then if somebody finds out he will not earn money anymore.

@JernejL
again: Most software is meant to make money OR be open source, this software isn't meant to make money, advertise, or even be open source so that's also a reason why it's suspicious.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
SA-MP has been analysed by very many people, nobody did report a virus yet,
SA-MP live is either new software so we have to get some high specs computer nerds to disasemble the app and take a look what is't doing behind our back.
SA:MP has set off NUMEROUS alerts from VARIOUS anti-virus software.

And for your second statement, same could be done for SA:MP, or like JernejL said, any other software.

EDIT: SA:MP was NOT made to make money. Are you kidding me? There's a reason they didn't even accept donations. The only value they take in is still used to pay off the master list, websites, forums, and everything else in SA:MP. Not to mention the coding aspect of it, which takes large portions of his time.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
let's change my statement:
nobody did report a 'working' dangerous REAL (not fake alert) virus.
Neither has anyone about SA-MP Live, and a large portion of the SA:MP community use it. And if you argue that's not enough, then you haven't given it enough time. I'm positive SA:MP didn't have it's "trusted rating" when it had only been released after such short period of time compared to that of SA-MP Live.

This statement just about sums up this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JernejL
EDIT: Now that I look back and see you edited your main post...
Quote:
Most software is meant to make money OR be open source,
this software (SA-MP Live) isn't meant to make money, advertise, or even be open source so that's also a reason why it's suspicious.
Have you never considered the fact that some developers don't just want to give away source code that they spent a large amount of time on creating? There are also risks that come with making things open source; people being able to take the code, edit the credits, and re-release it as their own, as an example. Just because something is closed source and isn't meant to make profit DOESN'T mean it's "suspicious".

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Neither has anyone about SA-MP Live, and a large portion of the SA:MP community use it.

This statement just about sums up this thread:
Well Not every virus can be detected.
Maybe your are not aware of FUD Crypters that make a virus undetectable.
And you sure don't know how antivirus software works (I do!).

Read my statement about Making money vs closed source vs open source.
Quote:

SA-MP is meant to make money, and closed source.
FireFox is meant to make no money but is open source.
****** Chrome is and free closed source web browser, it doesn't need to make money because it's a billion money corporation which earns on Advertisement.

Well I don't need to go into discussion, I stated my opinions, knowledge and a few other things. The rest is up to you, I won't forbid you using sa-mp live

The only reason I'm not using it, it's because it doesn't work for me

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Well Not every virus can be detected.
Maybe your are not aware of FUD Crypters that make a virus undetectable.
And you sure don't know how antivirus software works (I do!).

Read my statement about Making money vs closed source vs open source.
I do know how anti-virus programs work, you're just being WAY to paranoid.

And for the final time, SA-MP WAS NOT MADE TO MAKE MONEY. There are reasons the SA:MP Team never accepted donations; they are not after money. The profit they DO make from the hosted list is used to pay for the servers, website and forums. That's not adding in the time it took to get SA:MP to what it is now. Read my last reply again on why people wouldn't want to just release their source code for the hell of it.

Gamer_Z, you just pointed out what exactly I felt about SA-MP Live.
Basically, what is the two biggest problem with it?
1) Is made by unknown individuals. Is completely unofficial, works with no warranty.
2) Is not Open Source. We don't know what are we installing. The policy of SA-MP does not allow even opensource modifications (hacks) for SA-MP (e.g CNPC), why does it allow a closed source, botnet-risk hook into the whole game to run on public forums?

Just a few people know what SA-MP Live is. StrickenKid made a non-working, buggy socket plugin. What do you think, what's the point in SA-MP Live? What techniques does it use? Why is not OpenSource? Maybe the code is buggy, or vulnerable? Maybe the authors know about that? Maybe it's intended?

People, wake up.
We have something unknown, closed-source, what gets integrated in our system and game. It requires unreasonable permissions. Why are you protecting that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoczkaHUN
Посмотреть сообщение
1) Is made by unknown individuals. Is completely unofficial, works with no warranty.
2) Is not Open Source. We don't know what are we installing. The policy of SA-MP does not allow even opensource modifications (hacks) for SA-MP (e.g CNPC), why does it allow a closed source, botnet-risk hook into the whole game to run on public forums?

Just a few people know what SA-MP Live is. StrickenKid made a non-working, buggy socket plugin. What do you think, what's the point in SA-MP Live? What techniques does it use? Why is not OpenSource? Maybe the code is buggy, or vulnerable? Maybe the authors know about that? Maybe it's intended?

People, wake up.
We have something unknown, closed-source, what gets integrated in our system and game. It requires unreasonable permissions. Why are you protecting that?
It's a conspiracy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoczkaHUN
Посмотреть сообщение

People, wake up.
Why are you not reading previous posts in this thread?

There are a lot of applications that are closed source that you have to put trust in. If you use that logic on every program you downloaded, you wouldn't be using SA:MP right now, which is closed source. Nor ****** Chrome, Fraps, Etc. Re-read JernejL's post, as you blatantly ignored it.

Secondly, why are you obsessed and making the automatic assumption that if something is not open source then it's buggy or some type of hacking device? Maybe the author doesn't want to release something because they spent days, weeks and months of a project; and they just don't want to give it away. Once again, read my previous posts, I explained this already.

Yes, it's possible that it isn't a badware. Maybe it is protected with good techniques against hacking into the system.

But the point in this, is it came suddenly, which changed a lot of things, and we don't have a reason to trust it. We don't know much about the developers. This thread is just a warning, everyone can decide what will (s)he do.

I tried SA-MP live, but it does not work for me, so I don't want to go further in this serious talk. I just agree with the thread starter's argues.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Why are you not reading previous posts in this thread?

There are a lot of applications that are closed source that you have to put trust in. If you use that logic on every program you downloaded, you wouldn't be using SA:MP right now, which is closed source. Nor ****** Chrome, Fraps, Etc. Re-read JernejL's post, as you blatantly ignored it.

Secondly, why are you obsessed and making the automatic assumption that if something is not open source then it's buggy or some type of hacking device? Maybe the author doesn't want to release something because they spent days, weeks and months of a project; and they just don't want to give it away. Once again, read my previous posts, I explained this already.
And I explained that OR the authors are billionairs like ****** (well not billionair but they at least have to get s huge budget or whathever), Or they AT LEAST Advertise something to get at least a bit profit to keep their website up and running

jk

OnTopic:
Yes there are these dangers but, heck!?
This could happen to every mofo application/mod/software/whatever too.

You are just being paranoid... :/

How do you know ****** doesn't observe there users?
Just 'cause you "know" it? Definatly not.

They could observe us all and what we do,sell it to the states or whatever and you wouldn't even know it, just because as you stated already a "virus" doesn't need to be detected by an "antivirus" at all.
Who ever said and knew that Larry Page and Sergey Brin are the good guys? Just because they founded a huge company? Not.

They could be as evil as Dr.No

And how do you know that chrome isn't as vulnerable as every other application too?
Only because it got good coders? There still is ways to bypass there "securitysystems" and that doesn't change because of good coders.

Seriously chill. This isn't meant offensive in any way, just my opinion to this.

And the only reason why I'm not using it is because it didn't work for me yet(also I'm not playing sa-mp really notmore, so what).

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiberfun
Посмотреть сообщение

jk

OnTopic:
Yes there are these dangers but, heck!?
This could happen to every mofo application/mod/software/whatever too.

You are just being paranoid... :/

Just 'cause you "know" it? Definatly not.

They could observe us all and what we do,sell it to the states or whatever and you wouldn't even know it, just because as you stated already a "virus" doesn't need to be detected by an "antivirus" at all.
Who ever said and knew that Larry Page and Sergey Brin are the good guys? Just because they founded a huge company? Not.

They could be as evil as Dr.No

And how do you know that chrome isn't as vulnerable as every other application too?
Only because it got good coders? There still is ways to bypass there "securitysystems" and that doesn't change because of good coders.

Seriously chill. This isn't meant offensive in any way, just my opinion to this.

And the only reason why I'm not using it is because it didn't work for me yet(also I'm not playing sa-mp really notmore, so what).
yes you also got a point :P

but anyway I keep my own opinion

and:
Quote:

You know they do..
and because of the 'Patriotic Act' in the US they have to hand over all the info the f*ing US wants.
That act is being misused in many ways.