SA-MP on Mac

Well I bought a MacBook Pro to replace my HP Pavilion laptop (which I hated with a passion). As soon as I got the Mac, I installed Windows 7 alongside Mac OS X, because I thought I'd be spending all my time in Windows. Turns out I was wrong. Most of the programs I used on Windows had Mac versions, and the ones that didn't have Mac versions had Mac alternatives. However, of the games I played on Windows, only selected Valve Steam games were actually compatible. GTA SA + SA-MP were Windows-only and had no alternative.

Well after having my Mac for ~12 days, I remembered there was a Windows emulator called 'WINE', which runs on quite a few Linux distributions. I figured since Mac and Linux both share the same foundations (Unix), there must be a WINE app for Mac OS X too. And sure enough, there was (http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/). I installed WineBottler, got my GTA SA disc out, and installed it to my Documents directory on the Mac partition. Sure enough, it installed fine, so I downloaded and installed SA-MP. I double-clicked on samp.exe and I got:

- Excuse the black square, that seemed to happen when the window lost focus: it disappears if you click into the SA-MP window again

Once I clicked launch to connect to a server, I was even more surprised; GTA SA was launching and running perfectly! SA-MP was just like normal.

EDIT: Few explanations

- The game loads incredibly fast! Much faster than anyone I know experiences on Windows anyway. (I'm referring from the time the screen goes black and the SA-MP splash screen appears).
- The performance is actually excellent - what I figured out is the WINE support for mice is average - your mouse tracking may appear to be slightly jumpy instead of smooth.
- The black screen has a proper fix: X11 makes you use the key combo (command+option+a) to go back to non-fullscreen mode.

I'll leave this here.. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6kl06S_XkI[/ame]

Those issues cannot be avoided. The only thing you can do is run windows in bootcamp and do that... if you want it all perfect.

It could be avoided by running Windows, yes, but they're minor issues, and I'm not sacrificing my whole computing experience just for one game, when I can run it inside the OS of my choice

SA-MP should make a client for Mac too.. Not for just Windows and Linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney12
Посмотреть сообщение
Actually, Linux doesn't have a client. It's just windows. You use the same program as the mac. Wine.

Your post was so useful for me , thanks !

You are so pro on doing it why not using a screen recorder and holding a camera front of pc? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ask]Terminator
Посмотреть сообщение
Your post was so useful for me , thanks !

You are so pro on doing it why not using a screen recorder and holding a camera front of pc? lol
Just wanted to make a quick video to prove it was actually running on Mac, lol. I've had my Mac for barely two weeks, so I'm not that experienced with what's available for it :P

Hi, thank you very much! I have my original GTA San Andreas game, but I can't install it on my Macbook because I'm a noob on Mac OS. I would be grateful if you could help me, thank you again. Sorry for my bad english.

I've tried out your way to play SA MP on a mac. I got the samp.exe running. But now when I try to connect to a server nothing happens, first it asked me to locate the gta_sa.exe file. So I did in Grand Theft: Auto San Andreas/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program_Files/Rockstar Games/GTA San Andreas

but still then it doesn't work.. I'm not using GTA SA from Steam btw.

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macinzon
Посмотреть сообщение
Thank you for the link, but apparently it doesn't work on my Mac...

this is what appears when I try to do what the guy does on the video...

thank you anyway
EDIT: I have downloaded the mac version of the game and it works!! but it doesn't have the gta_sa.exe file, so I can't run SA-MP. Someone knows how to run SA-MP without the gta_sa.exe file?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macinzon
Посмотреть сообщение
I've tried out your way to play SA MP on a mac. I got the samp.exe running. But now when I try to connect to a server nothing happens, first it asked me to locate the gta_sa.exe file. So I did in Grand Theft: Auto San Andreas/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program_Files/Rockstar Games/GTA San Andreas

but still then it doesn't work.. I'm not using GTA SA from Steam btw.

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Now I have the same problem...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney12
Посмотреть сообщение
They should NOT make a client for OSX or Linux. Mostly because the tiny percentage of losers who want to play SA-MP on their mac do not deserve to take up Kye's time in developing one. And about linux... there is no native GTASA for it.

Mac for gaming = Fail.

And to those of you saying "They should make SA-MP for Mac too":
Well, they cant just do that. Mac doesent accept 3rd-party software, which SA-MP is.
Only windows and Linux accepts it.

SA-MP runs fine on Linux with a ASI loader. SA-MP on mac is just gay...

Mac is gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_sima
Посмотреть сообщение
Mac for gaming = Fail.

Mac doesent accept 3rd-party software, which SA-MP is.
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?? Do not say ANYTHING if you have no idea what you are talking about. Anyone can code anything for OSX and it will run.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Mac is gay.
for you.

The loading is due to some kind of a limitation: in my PC I use, I can get only 60FPS when loading, while on my laptop (windows also) I get over 200, and it loads just as on that mac.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Mac for gaming = Fail.

And to those of you saying "They should make SA-MP for Mac too":
Well, they cant just do that. Mac doesent accept 3rd-party software, which SA-MP is.
Im sorry, let me uninstall Firefox, and Photoshop, and the other 30 3rd party programs i have installed at this point in time.

Ughh, non mac using idiots dont know anything.

So much hate rofl, so funny to the guys that say mac suck and never used it before. Sup Apple having more cash then the US government?

Still waiting for a reply from OP.

Those issues cannot be avoided.