Help using putty - VPS

Hello, I have bought a VPS from serverffs. And they dont give any support. But i cant start the server.

When i write:
cd samp03

nohup ./samp03svr &

It says Permission Denied.

I am using PuttY. and when i do ./samp03svr &, and it says that permission denied.

What is the problem?

Anybody knows?

after your "cd" command, do " chmod 777 * " then try again your " nohup ./samp03svr & " command.

When i do that, this happends.

Код:
vps26015:~# cd samp03
vps26015:~/samp03# chmod 777
chmod: missing operand after `777'

chmod 777 *
dont forget the *

That works Thanks alot.

enjoy your server, and look over ****** what is chmod, basicly you just set all the files and folder with read/write/execute permission in your folder. also the way your started it mean that your sa-mp server will not restart by itself if ever it crash.

have an happy linux learning.

Just thought I'd add some useful information...

Your SA:MP server should not be run under root. You should create a new user, and then chown the directory to be owned by the new user. Example:

Use useradd (****** for the syntax for this command), or webmin to add a new user. You could call it "samp" and put it in the group "users".
chown samp:users /home/samp -R
su samp
cd /home/samp
chmod +x samp03svr
nohup ./samp03svr &

That's all you need to do. chmod'ing 777 may work, but it's not a secure way of doing it - it allows any other user on the vps to view/edit/delete the files in there (especially if you run more than one server). Each time you create a new service (voice server, game server, whatever), make a new user and run the service under that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutrix
Посмотреть сообщение
Hello, I have bought a VPS from serverffs. And they dont give any support.
When you get the VPS, you have to check something saying "Our services are unmanaged" this means that you have to manage the server yourself without help of the host, they are only responsable for network/hardware problems.