Scripting e-book

Lately I have been teaching myself C++. In my opinion, the best option for teaching yourself something is a good old book, especially when it comes to programming and scripting. For a while and by a while I mean years, I have been thinking of learning PAWN but never got around to it. Looking at the forums there are alot of aspiring scripters that could use a helping hand.
Now back to my original point, books. All the major programming languages have tons of books both aimed at beginners and advanced users. None exist (from what I can tell) about scripting code in SA-MP using PAWN. I'm not talking a book published by a real company and sold in stores, I'm talking about a simple e-book avilable online. Sure, there are tutorials but they tend to be spread out, short and written by multiple people which leads to important details being left out in the cold. The tutorials also tend to be more focused on the SA-MP "library" rather than the PAWN language in general.

Why hasn't someone taken the time to write a complete e-book. Simply a well written book covering all the basics and perhaps more. An "all in one" source to be taught the basics of the PAWN, making scripts in SA-MP and most importantly efficient and good scripting in general. Something that provides exercises and drills along with a good structure to truly make mastering the basics of making SA-MP script easier.

I'm sure that several aspiring scripters would consider paying a few bucks for a well written e-book to truly help them along.

Feel free to leave some feedback!

Hello, Timpa.

The only true programmers here that can actually write understandable English that know what they're talking about seem to be pretty busy with college or their own projects; go figure.

Although it would be a lovely thing to have, it's nothing that's high priority as PAWN manuals itself can be found in various places.

It's a hard and serious work to do. Time to time, the PAWN, including SA-MP library has been updated and I don't think it will be left as it is. It'll be continued to develope. By the time you have actually finished writing the book, there might be a lot of new features or changes and you'd have to "update" the book again. I think that SA-MP Wiki is good enought, but an e-book about PAWN language and scripting wouldn't harm us.

Well imagine that e-book was created especially for sa-mp , can you guess how long sa-mp will leave ? i think this the best time of sa-mp; after 7 or 8 years you will never hear about sa-mp or Gta SA in general it's like Pac-man or any old game when he was released and played now it's just memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miado_Hulk
Посмотреть сообщение
Well imagine that e-book was created especially for sa-mp , can you guess how long sa-mp will leave ? i think this the best time of sa-mp; after 7 or 8 years you will never hear about sa-mp or Gta SA in general it's like Pac-man or any old game when he was released and played now it's just memories
Pacman is a legend, no one will pay attention to San Andreas after 8 years.

Regarding e-book the idea is pretty good but it's useles now, in my opinion it's just too late. SA-MP Developers had to do it once they released the first client in order to keep it updated daily so it wouldn't take a lot of time. As I said above this is a great idea Timpa but I am pretty sure that it will not be done.

It could be created quite simply.

It might just be a matter of compiling the SA-MP Wiki, and a large amount of the tutorials from the scripting session.

Just a thought.

Half of the people who replied here didn't even look at what he said: He wants an e-book specifically for PAWN, not SA:MP.

You can look at some of the online PDF documents, like pawn-lang.pdf, which are aimed specifically at PAWN language. You can also find some more information on the actual website, here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim_
Посмотреть сообщение
Half of the people who replied here didn't even look at what he said: He wants an e-book specifically for PAWN, not SA:MP.

You can look at some of the online PDF documents, like pawn-lang.pdf, which are aimed specifically at PAWN language. You can also find some more information on the actual website, here.
Not exacly. Actually I don't want anything, I just figured it might be a good resource for the community. Also I figured that such a book would contain information about the PAWN syntax etc and SA-MP.

I understand that not alot of people have the knowledge, skills and/or the time to create such a book. If anyone out there should however have it I think that the community could benefit from it and that you could probably earn a few bucks for the effort.

I'm thinking about making a couple video tutorials for PAWN. The only problem is I'm extremely lazy.