Object Loading

Hi guys. I have been thinking silently to myself for a couple of hours now while I'm scripting and helping other people, but I wasn't really sure of the answer. Would it be a smart/good idea to load objects from a MySQL database? I know it's pointless, but would it?

I don't know. It depends on the amount / when you plan on loading. It could cause lag, it could reduce memory usage. But, if you do it, let me know how it worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottCFR
Посмотреть сообщение
I don't know. It depends on the amount / when you plan on loading. It could cause lag, it could reduce memory usage. But, if you do it, let me know how it worked out.
I know it would probably cause a lot of lag at server startup, but I don't know... It seems like a cool idea, but maybe pointless. I'll let you know how it turns out - if and when I do it!

It would be a good idea if you wanted to add some objects through a PHP document online without adding to the script itself. For my house system I made, it loads 400 queries per second (Pretty long ones) so it takes about 3 seconds for the 1200 houses. Something like 30k objects would be stupid to load but under 5k would be OK I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HiC]TheKiller
Посмотреть сообщение
It would be a good idea if you wanted to add some objects through a PHP document online without adding to the script itself. For my house system I made, it loads 400 queries per second (Pretty long ones) so it takes about 3 seconds for the 1200 houses. Something like 30k objects would be stupid to load but under 5k would be OK I suppose.
Yeah... It would probably be a better idea to stream .map files to the server, or add all of the objects to a filterscript. I may use MySQL to load the smaller things, like your idea with the house icons (if you don't mind), but I don't think I'll be using it to load all of my objects.

I was thinking about it too. There wouldn't be any lag, only GM may load slower. But then you'd need separate entry for each object and group them somehow into separate projects. I use .map files currently on my server, but you can make database of your .map files and enable/disable them via your admin panel, even upload new ones.