So let me get this straight - I can't share my server unless I pay?

I've gone through days of working on setting up a SA:MP server on my computer. I was lead to believe that if I did this, I could get people to find my server in the SA:MP list and they would be able to play on my server.

- I downlaoded and installed the server
- I made my IP static
- I forwarded the port
- I checked to see if my IP was static and port was correctly forwarded
- I added the IP to the SA:MP server list (Favorites)
- I saw it in the "Internet" list
- I've tested the server out and it works fine
- I used the connection checker tool and it said that my server isn't online

So just a little while ago, I read a sticky thread about advertising my server... and the thread said that IP starting with 192.168. cannot be shared. Nobody but me and anyone else on my network can get on my server. Thats not what sa:mp makes it seem like. Again, I was under the impression that if I installed the server, it would be public and I could give the IP to someone and they could connect.

Please tell me I didn't put in all of this work just to find out that only I can get on a freaking MULTIPLAYER server. If someone could explain to me how I can get other people on my server, that would be great.

http://www.whatsmyip.org/ - Share this IP with your friends. It's your WAN IP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popz
Посмотреть сообщение
http://www.whatsmyip.org/ - Share this IP with your friends. It's your WAN IP.
That IP doesn't work. I just tested it out. That IP starts with 71.98.

The IP that my server works with is 192.168.1.150:7777

When I try to connect using the IP that whatismyip gives me, it doesn't work.

You have to connect with your local IP, but everyone else in the world connects with your WAN IP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamaroht
Посмотреть сообщение
You have to connect with your local IP, but everyone else in the world connects with your WAN IP.
Oh I see.

Now back to the thread I was reading. Its in the advertisement section. It said not to post IPs that start with 192.168. because nobody can see it.... but I CAN advertise it with my WAN IP?

Also, why doesn't sa:mp allow me to add server with my WAN IP? It just says "Retrieving Info..."

Will it only show that for ME... and for everyone else who adds it will get the server?

Would somebody be so kind as to test it for me? The WAN IP is 71.98.214.232:7777

Does my WAN IP have to be static? If so, I'd have to pay a nice chunk of cash to my ISP for that feature and I'm not in the position to do that. Any ideas on why my WAN IP doesn't work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog_Nito
Посмотреть сообщение
Does my WAN IP have to be static? If so, I'd have to pay a nice chunk of cash to my ISP for that feature and I'm not in the position to do that. Any ideas on why my WAN IP doesn't work?
You can't connect to a local service with a WAN IP. And your WAN IP is probably dynamic, unless you're willing to pay it'll change often - you could use alternatives such as no-ip.org, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgon
Посмотреть сообщение
You can't connect to a local service with a WAN IP. And your WAN IP is probably dynamic, unless you're willing to pay it'll change often - you could use alternatives such as no-ip.org, etc.
I've been doing some research on this and I read about no-ip. I also read that dynDNS can do this too. I created an account but don't know what to do from there. Guess I'll have to contact the support team and get them to guide me through it. Thanks for the reply.

You can only see your LOCAL IP (192.in the list but not your WAN IP. If you want people to join your server, give them your WAN IP. They should see it's working but you don't (if you port forward and do everything correctly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog_Nito
Посмотреть сообщение
I've been doing some research on this and I read about no-ip. I also read that dynDNS can do this too. I created an account but don't know what to do from there. Guess I'll have to contact the support team and get them to guide me through it. Thanks for the reply.
There's a quick guide for it here. Though, on my router there's a feature to automatically enable no-ip, I just need to enter authentication details through the admin control panel on the router - have you tried taking a look there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p00jan
Посмотреть сообщение
You can only see your LOCAL IP (192.in the list but not your WAN IP. If you want people to join your server, give them your WAN IP. They should see it's working but you don't (if you port forward and do everything correctly)
That has already been established, there's no need to repeat all that has been already said.