SQLite vs. MySQL

Which one is more reliable/faster. I am needing SQL for testing purposes. But, I'll have to get MySQL on my PC. Would SQLite work temp?

Just use MySQL; you can install it easily on your home pc using XAMPP.

MySQL is obviously more reliable and faster. All in all, it's separate server just to operate with database. SQLite is just a "file" basically. MySQL also has plenty of very useful integrated functions to use.

However, they are both much better choices than simple files.

Well, I am looking into it. I really don't want it, but if it's best then I will. I didn't plan on using MySQl until i get hosted.

*Waits for ****** to jump in here*

I'd go with mysql, its slower, but its a lot easier to integrate with other projects. One issue i have with sqlite is that its just terrible with big loads, and its a pain to use the database for your site.

Well, I am mainly just testing some stuff. But I just realized I made some code that needs the MySQL plugin I use. So i definatly have to use that. I may just use the SQL on my VPS, but I don't know yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei
Посмотреть сообщение
MySQL is obviously more reliable and faster.
How the hell can MySQL be more reliable than native SQLite? What happenes if the MySQL server dies? The SA:MP server crashes. What happens if you need to update MySQL? The SA:MP server dies. What happens if the server loses connection with the db? It's lights out for the SA:MP server. Oh, and it's faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoBo
Посмотреть сообщение
How the hell can MySQL be more reliable than native SQLite? What happenes if the MySQL server dies? The SA:MP server crashes. What happens if you need to update MySQL? The SA:MP server dies. What happens if the server loses connection with the db? It's lights out for the SA:MP server. Oh, and it's faster.
What happens if you lose your 321,000 accounts because sqlite cant handle it (lol, sorry robo had to use that as it demonstrates my point pretty good)? What happens if you want to have a website with stats and dont want to put in much more work than it would take with mysql?

As for sergei's comment, thats completely false. Sqlite is much more reliable than mysql (well in the case of sa-mp). The only thing that worries me about sqlite is its problem with loads. I would gladly give up speed for the ability to handle huge loads, and the ease to implement them into websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosaur
Посмотреть сообщение
What happens if you lose your 321,000 accounts because sqlite cant handle it (lol, sorry robo had to use that as it demonstrates my point pretty good)?
Ultimately my bad coding, SQLlite could (and still is) handling 321,239 accounts fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyosaur
Посмотреть сообщение
What happens if you want to have a website with stats and dont want to put in much more work than it would take with mysql?
If you're hosting the website on the same box then it's just as easy as MySQL. See littlewhiteys.

You can't compare the two. SQLite was built for smaller databases (such as 300~ properties or w/e).

If you're using this for accounts on your server, and your server is larger, then go for MySQL, it'll be easier to integrate in your website using PHP as well.