Collaberative Open Source SA-MP Server

Hi guys. I had an idea and I was wondering if it would spark any interest in the community if I were to pursue it.

I currently run the server Stunt Revolution (formerly stunt evolution.) I had an idea of making the server completley open source, and then have the open source community be able to assist in the development in the server. I would create a ****** code project with not just the main .pwn, but break everything down into server different components (such as OnGameModeInit.pwn.)

It would run like any normal open source project, people making contributions, then weekly I would compile it and it would run live on the already semi-popular server.. so you could see your work be used in practice without all the hassle of making a server or whatever it is you don\'t want to do.

Would you guys be interested in this? Or would I just be wasting my time?

So, basically, script for you and get nothing in return? No, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgon
Do you get anything in return if you script for your own server? Nope. On top of that you have to put your own money in to be able to get a host for your server.

This idea is good except that ppl will just steal the script and run their own servers - it's a script that gets updated & scripted automatically, ain't that just perfect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Quote:
Do you get anything in return if you script for your own server? Nope. On top of that you have to put your own money in to be able to get a host for your server.

This idea is good except that ppl will just steal the script and run their own servers - it's a script that gets updated & scripted automatically, ain't that just perfect?
A sense of pride and self satisfaction.

WeeDarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeDarr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Quote:

WeeDarr
^ this.

Quote:

Who's going to want to contribute to a server and get nothing in return? ...absolutely nothing... Except access to a half-assed stunt script. I imagine the only reason this has been posted is because you're not competent enough to create your own script.

For someone to script and waste their time just so they get nothing in return..I don't think so..
You can script for yourself. You can ask for help here, but not to do a whole Gamemode for free.

Please don't assume guys. I'm a perfectly competent scripter. I've been the sole and continuing developer of the script for several months now. It's not a half assed script or a beginning game mode, it is a fully working large game mode with a large player base. The script has many features and is very complex for a stunt script. (It even utilizes a MySQL data storage system, and has over 20,000 lines of code.) I don't know why or how you got the image that I'm doing this so people will script for me. If I so pleased this script could probably be sold, but I am instead looking to release it for work in the open source community.

The idea is sort of like any other open source project. People are able to review the code and learn from it, and even make new contributions to the program if they so please.

It's a good idea especially if you're running out of time to develop the script. It's weird to see people up in arms about it, they're getting free source code in the end and ditching the opportunity to have some of SA:MP's greatest scripters collaborate. In case the opposers haven't noticed a lot of scripting for SA:MP is just done for fun with no monetary return.

You will need some sort of standards system, development plan, API before it open sources otherwise there will just be a collaborative mess.

It seems like a pretty cool idea actually, it would be good to see a collaborate server with some good coders....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeDarr
Don't you get it even if the script is in the hands of someone else? As you still know you're the one who made the code.

Quote:
I imagine the only reason this has been posted is because you're not competent enough to create your own script.
If this was to me, you're completely wrong.