Where do you think i should learn more about scripting?

Hey guy's i'm a real beginner with scripting i only no simple stuff like SendCLientMessage GivePlayerMoney etc..

But i wanna move on to more complicated scripts can anyone tell me how they became a scripter?

Like when did you start & What you used?

& Maybe some tips that i could use to become a pro scripter?

Thanks

(Jay)

PS: Bored of not knowing much about scripting

- I learned from looking through scripts, for functions I didn't know I'd check the wiki. I would then make small little gamemodes like Here and Here back in '08. I was 12 so this can be done at any age =].

- Make scripts over and over, adding new things as you go.

- Find out as much as you can, ask for help only when you cant find the solution anywhere etc.

- Asking for others to do your scripts 24/7 doesn't get you anywhere. I only have about 10 posts requesting help because I search for a while first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HiC
TheKiller ]
- I learned from looking through scripts, for functions I didn't know I'd check the wiki. I would then make small little gamemodes like Here and Here back in '08. I was 12 so this can be done at any age =].

- Make scripts over and over, adding new things as you go.

- Find out as much as you can, ask for help only when you cant find the solution anywhere etc.

- Asking for others to do your scripts 24/7 doesn't get you anywhere. I only have about 10 posts requesting help because I search for a while first.
Thanks for that it was pretty usefull.

btw i'm 13, So scripting at my age is pretty hard.

look on wiki for the basics
and then read scripts and try to understand them

Did you know that, the younger you are, the better you learn?
The older you get, the more difficult it gets to pick stuff up.

So, if you have some free time, just go scripting. If it doesn't work, try searching. If you cannot find it, ask on forum or someone on msn/aim/icq or whatever. Now, for extras you can also read the wiki, the manual (pawn-lang.pdf) or even stuff from other programming languages like PHP (to build up the basics).

Learn basic code theory; learning PAWN thereafter will be extremely simple.

The best way is to go through the released scripts like GF or CRP. They are pretty great to polish your scripting skills.

Thanks all!!, Anymore tips?

Also Would you of typed the code out in pawno to see how it works or

Just read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Jay)
Thanks all!!, Anymore tips?

Also Would you of typed the code out in pawno to see how it works or

Just read?
Depends on how you learn, the most important thing in learning any computer language is actually understanding it. It's like learning to speak Chinese or French, you cant just look at random characters all day, you have to understand how they work together to fully understand the language. Same thing with computers.

If you understand how if-statements, loops, boolean expressions, etc work from just reading about them and looking at examples, than you should do that because it will save time, otherwise you could just play around in PAWN with little scripts on a homeserver, and see how everything works together. The second way will probably be funner aswell :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLinx
Depends on how you learn, the most important thing in learning any computer language is actually understanding it. It's like learning to speak Chinese or French, you cant just look at random characters all day, you have to understand how they work together to fully understand the language. Same thing with computers.

If you understand how if-statements, loops, boolean expressions, etc work from just reading about them and looking at examples, than you should do that because it will save time, otherwise you could just play around in PAWN with little scripts on a homeserver, and see how everything works together. The second way will probably be funner aswell :P

BTW, when I was starting, it was rlly hard, but now it is a "toy" xDD