What is IRC?

So, I have seen and looked into what is called "IRC", but I don't quite know what it is. Can someone please explain to me, what "IRC" is and what does it allow me to do. I am not looking for comments saying 1 sentence, so please, real answers only. Thanks!

Quote:
Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a form of real-time Internet text messaging (chat) or synchronous conferencing. It is mainly designed for group communication in discussion forums, called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication via private message as well as chat and data transfers via Direct Client-to-Client.
As of May 2009, the top 100 IRC networks served more than half a million users at a time, with hundreds of thousands of channels (the vast majority of which stand mostly vacant), operating on a total of roughly 1,500 servers worldwide.
IRC was created by Jarkko Oikarinen in August 1988 to replace a program called MUT (MultiUser Talk) on a BBS called OuluBox in Finland. Oikarinen found inspiration in a chat system known as Bitnet Relay, which operated on the BITNET.
IRC was used to report on the 1991 Soviet coup d'йtat attempt throughout a media blackout. It was previously used in a similar fashion during the Gulf War. Logs of these and other events are kept in the ibiblio archive.
IRC client software is available for virtually every computer operating system that supports TCP/IP networking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev0lutionnn
Quote:
Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a form of real-time Internet text messaging (chat) or synchronous conferencing. It is mainly designed for group communication in discussion forums, called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication via private message as well as chat and data transfers via Direct Client-to-Client.
As of May 2009, the top 100 IRC networks served more than half a million users at a time, with hundreds of thousands of channels (the vast majority of which stand mostly vacant), operating on a total of roughly 1,500 servers worldwide.
IRC was created by Jarkko Oikarinen in August 1988 to replace a program called MUT (MultiUser Talk) on a BBS called OuluBox in Finland. Oikarinen found inspiration in a chat system known as Bitnet Relay, which operated on the BITNET.
IRC was used to report on the 1991 Soviet coup d'йtat attempt throughout a media blackout. It was previously used in a similar fashion during the Gulf War. Logs of these and other events are kept in the ibiblio archive.
IRC client software is available for virtually every computer operating system that supports TCP/IP networking.
Ah, okay... Very nice description, I really appreciate it! Is associating IRC with a (my) server free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTechStudios
Ah, okay... Very nice description, I really appreciate it! Is associating IRC with a (my) server free?
Depends what you mean.
If you wanted an IRC channel for your server, for chatting or to run echo bots (which echo server events to the IRC channel), you can register a channel easily, and for free, on most IRC networks.
Running an IRC plugin and having an IRC bot connect to a network from your server is also free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev0lutionnn
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPTechStudios
Depends what you mean.
If you wanted an IRC channel for your server, for chatting or to run echo bots (which echo server events to the IRC channel), you can register a channel easily, and for free, on most IRC networks.
Running an IRC plugin and having an IRC bot connect to a network from your server is also free.
Ah, thank you!

Internet Relay Chat.
http://www.mirc.com/mirc.html