[GTA:SA] Steam Downgrader Guide

Steam Downgrader
Hello and welcome to the guide that instructs you to both downgrade your Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and download / use the programs provided.
NOTE: This guide only applies to users who have installed GTA:SA through Steam.

A lot of users have in the past have struggled to find certified downgraders to downgrade their GTA:SA, if they have purchased their game through Steam. Finally, I have decided to share my friend's (certified) downgrader file for those who have purchased GTA:SA by Steam. Here, I have written basic steps to guide you through to download, downgrade, and .. more download and upgrading stuff. Basically, this is what you will accomplish after following through these steps:
  • Downgrade GTA:SA
  • Install SA-MP properly

Step 1:
Download the downgrader file from this link:
Link has been removed by moderator.

Step 2:
Open the file from where you have saved it. Once you have opened it, you will recieve a window that looks like this.

Click Start to Begin.

Step 3:
After you have clicked Next, you will go to another page. If you wish, you may click back to read the previous instructions or exit the installation.

Find where your GTA:SA game folder has been placed and locate it. Check if your computer has enough space required for the installation (downgrader). Once you are done, press Next to continue.

Step 4:
After you have clicked Next, you will go to another page. If you wish, you may click back to read the previous instructions or exit the installation.

To continue, you must agree to the terms of agreement. If you do, click on the " I agree with the above terms and conditions" check box. Then click next.

Step 5
You have now reached the 2nd last page of your installation proccess. To continue, press Next.

Step 6
This is last instruction page to complete your installation. It is also the last chance to properly quit the program without possibly harming your GTA:SA Files. If you feel you are ready to dowgrade your game to get SA-MP, click Next!

Step 7
Now you have downgraded your Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas so it is compatible for SA-MP installation. If you wish to download SA-MP, go to www.sa-mp.com/download.php. Download the SA-MP client installer from 1 of the 2 mirrors and install the program into your GTA San Andreas Folder.

[Green]Thanks for reading!

-Battlexfir[/green]

Thanks for going to the effort to provide this. I'm not sure the post can stay. Even though you have a valid license to run San Andreas on PC with the Steam version, this version does not have the DVD required to run version 1.0.

Someone with San Andreas on Steam should contact Take-Two support and ask if it's okay to downgrade the Steam version of San Andreas to use mods. If they say it's fine then I will leave the link up.

I just emailed them. Shall I PM you with their response or edit this post? If and when they reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burridge
I just emailed them. Shall I PM you with their response or edit this post? If and when they reply.
Posting the response in this thread should be fine. Thanks.

Hm, I think I forgot to mention that GTA:SA must be downgraded to version 1.0 by using the third-party patch provided on www.sa-mp.com/download.php before the Steam downgrader can be used.

Otherwise, I guess all we have to do now is wait for the replying email to Burridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kye
Posting the response in this thread should be fine. Thanks.
It's been 3/4 days now...I don't think they're going to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burridge
It's been 3/4 days now...I don't think they're going to reply.
I'll take that as a no then. Perhaps they don't see it as a legitimate support request.

Our policy on the Steam version stands. I don't see any way SA-MP can support it.

Here is a section from the SA PC license found in the booklet:
Quote:

(ii) your Modifications must require a full, registered copy of the Software to run;
(iii) you may not distribute a Modification that contains an executable file which has been changed or modified in any way;

If my interpretation is correct, that means SA-MP can't be distributed with a modified gta_sa.exe. It's also a criminal offense in many countries to bypass a copy protection mechanism. So we can't allow linking to a downgrader if it bypasses the DVD check.

The only legal way to play SA-MP is with a San Andreas PC DVD.

where downgrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool123
where downgrader
If you read Kye's posts, It was removed.