PC Questions Thread

@Alex Magaсa GTA IV is CPU heavy because it is poorly optimized...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Magaсa
Посмотреть сообщение
Not really, i testing on:
- Lenovo Laptop
- CPU: Intel ® Pentium ® CPU 2020M @ 2.50GHz (Overcloked)
- GPU: Intel HD ® Graphics
and it runs smoothly on "LOW".
I had q6600 and 9600 gt, 30 FPS
Next I had fx 8320 and gtx 760, 30 FPS

Now i have 4790k and gtx 970, didn't try the game yet, but I bet I wont pass 40 FPS on high settings. Sadly, this game is a really bad port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jese
Посмотреть сообщение
gtx 970
You're not going to max good games :^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jese
Посмотреть сообщение
I had q6600 and 9600 gt, 30 FPS
Next I had fx 8320 and gtx 760, 30 FPS

Now i have 4790k and gtx 970, didn't try the game yet, but I bet I wont pass 40 FPS on high settings. Sadly, this game is a really bad port.
If my 3 1/2 year old rig can play GTA IV at 1080p above 70 fps at very high(except shadows) almost anywhere then you must have imminent hardware problems if your rig can't beat mine in this game

2700k @ 4.4 ghz
8 GB RAM
Unlocked 6950 2 GB
2X 1 TB WD Blacks in RAID 0

1080p screenshot with proof of my statement
http://i.imgur.com/WFxOMGG.jpg

So while browsing around i found my 2008 PC and i was thinking of using it for gaming because to be honest i'm just sick of my laptop, it's not because it has bad preformance it's the fact that it's unupgradable and games are getting bigger and bigger.

PC specs:
Intel pentium 5200 @ 2.50 GHZ (stock 2 cores)
4gb ddr2 ram (3gb usable)
an old NVidia GeForce 7100 / NVidia GeForce 630i 250mb vram

If it's worth it i can get a 1gb gpu if the processor is okay because i saw videos of people overclocking it to 3.50/4.0 ghz and i saw plenty of people playing gta online with it so i'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBrianX
Посмотреть сообщение
So while browsing around i found my 2008 PC and i was thinking of using it for gaming because to be honest i'm just sick of my laptop, it's not because it has bad preformance it's the fact that it's unupgradable and games are getting bigger and bigger.

PC specs:
Intel pentium 5200 @ 2.50 GHZ (stock 2 cores)
4gb ddr2 ram (3gb usable)
an old NVidia GeForce 7100 / NVidia GeForce 630i 250mb vram

If it's worth it i can get a 1gb gpu if the processor is okay because i saw videos of people overclocking it to 3.50/4.0 ghz and i saw plenty of people playing gta online with it so i'm not sure.
Just because there are videos of people overclocking it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Don't keep the processor just because you CAN overclock it. If you're planning to; it's probably a better idea to buy a new CPU as a whole. If you overclock a CPU, you have to make sure you have enough cooling, enough available watt and need to be certain your CPU is actually able to overclock without issues.

4 GB ram is enough but you'll be noticing quirks when you play any game that is remotely similar to Skyrim. Those newer games have a tendency of running out of RAM rather quickly. Also any program that doesn't release their memory properly will cause your PC to stutter heavily.

Get the GPU with most vram. When you're looking at low usage GPU's, it really doesn't matter whether one GPU is better on paper than another when they have less vram because they'll just keep on running out of ram when you're playing a more recent game so you won't notice a big difference in performance.

Also, a detail most people always forget: make sure there's enough cooling and enough power to support all your parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignity
Посмотреть сообщение
Just because there are videos of people overclocking it doesn't mean it's a good idea. Don't keep the processor just because you CAN overclock it. If you're planning to; it's probably a better idea to buy a new CPU as a whole. If you overclock a CPU, you have to make sure you have enough cooling, enough available watt and need to be certain your CPU is actually able to overclock without issues.

4 GB ram is enough but you'll be noticing quirks when you play any game that is remotely similar to Skyrim. Those newer games have a tendency of running out of RAM rather quickly. Also any program that doesn't release their memory properly will cause your PC to stutter heavily.

Get the GPU with most vram. When you're looking at low usage GPU's, it really doesn't matter whether one GPU is better on paper than another when they have less vram because they'll just keep on running out of ram when you're playing a more recent game so you won't notice a big difference in performance.

Also, a detail most people always forget: make sure there's enough cooling and enough power to support all your parts
Yeah i already thought of that power supply thing i currently have a 500v power supply and i have about two fans inside there, i tried using the PC normally for a while and temps didn't go higher than 32c (19c room temp) about the GPU i saw a used radeon 2gb gpu for half the price and i'm really thinking of getting it, about the cpu I saw videos of people running gta v on it without overclocking and i saw people overclocking and saying it made a huge difference and for me i really don't care that much about overclocking i just want it to run csgo gta online and my video editing stuff.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Yeah i already thought of that power supply thing i currently have a 500v power supply and i have about two fans inside there, i tried using the PC normally for a while and temps didn't go higher than 32c (19c room temp) about the GPU i saw a used radeon 2gb gpu for half the price and i'm really thinking of getting it, about the cpu I saw videos of people running gta v on it without overclocking and i saw people overclocking and saying it made a huge difference and for me i really don't care that much about overclocking i just want it to run csgo gta online and my video editing stuff.
500 watt is probably be enough. I finished a build for a customer about two months ago which had 550 watt and a 2gb gpu as well and to be honest it isn't a big difference.

That 2gb GPU should run fine on a 500 watt PSU and that I'm fairly certain your CPU is below average but in reality you shouldn't have that many issues if you disable Xbox Game DVR on W10 and have everything on lowest settings.

Also if you're gonna do intensive video editing you should upgrade to 8GB ram instead of 4.

What Operating System are you using? Version of windows?
What model is the radeon 2GB gpu card?
And the last, what is your motherboard model? I'm afraid, looking at your current cpu and ram, i'm guessing it's an old motherboard with chipset that only support max 4GB. If you have budget, consider upgrading whole of it with new one. Also with your current system it's not going to let you play GTA 5/Online with an acceptable fps (that's mean fps just under 24) even at lowest setting.

I have a ddr2 foxconn motherboard and i'm guessing it supports 4gb ram max, about the graphics card it's a Gigabyte Radeon 7870 2gb DDR5, I don't like the idea of getting a new motherboard (new ram new cpu etc) and it's going to cost a lot of people but will my current specs run fine?

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I have a ddr2 foxconn motherboard and i'm guessing it supports 4gb ram max, about the graphics card it's a Gigabyte Radeon 7870 2gb DDR5, I don't like the idea of getting a new motherboard (new ram new cpu etc) and it's going to cost a lot of people but will my current specs run fine?
Yaa but that graphic card is pretty much bottleneck to your current system if you don't upgrade it. As that card is similar to GTX 950/R9 280 (something around this) for the new ones (like you said it's used one). But dont worry, it will likely to fit on your motherboard, but you will just not expect full performance with those (so not really worth).

EDIT: What i said with bottleneck, you are likely going to expect the gpu you wanted to buy work good with a i5/i7 and 8GB ram atleast like Dignity said above.. Not an old pentium dual core and ddr2 4gb ram.

Again, still we will not sure which Foxconn model you are having. Perhaps atleast you can get a Core 2 Quad and 8gb ram max if you dont want to replace the motherboard.

Or y'know, save up and upgrade as you go. There is no reason not to upgrade the deprecated hardware.

Yeah i think i'll use my laptop for now till i save up enough money for a pc

Yes you should definetly save for a new PC. That 7970 will be a huge bottleneck for any CPU that support DDr2 controller.

Get yourself an i5 6400 at least.

What is the difference in DDR, DDR2, and DDR3?
the difference is the speed they can support, this will not improve much the performance of the games.

creator of the website. mini bodegas en renta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielgarciasosa
View Post
What is the difference in DDR, DDR2, and DDR3?
the difference is the speed they can support, this will not improve much the performance of the games.

creator of the website. mini bodegas en renta
Wrong. Newer games that is coded in 64 bit like Fallout 4 shows better ram's matter.
There is benchmarks between 1600MHz vs 2133MHz DDR3 and there is big differences..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhizors
View Post
Wrong. Newer games that is coded in 64 bit like Fallout 4 shows better ram's matter.
There is benchmarks between 1600MHz vs 2133MHz DDR3 and there is big differences..
There's even difference between 2133Mhz and 3000Mhz with DDR4

I'm planning to buy a new PC this June $500 budget can anyone suggest parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippineGangsta
View Post
I'm planning to buy a new PC this June $500 budget can anyone suggest parts.
Try PC Part Picker, I already put the filter on max 500 dollars. You can mix and match the result since the parts are just there when you select a PC

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/#X=0,50995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforcez
View Post
Try PC Part Picker, I already put the filter on max 500 dollars. You can mix and match the result since the parts are just there when you select a PC

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/#X=0,50995
I recommend pc part picker as well. Easy to use, and it's good enough.