GTA IV - Low FPS, but enough ressources

Hi there.

I got a weird problem. Iґve received a new PC as a christmas gift and its awesome, it can handle like all games I wish, playing GTA SA at 1620x1080 (or smth like this) on Very High with 94 FPS.

The only game mucking up is GTA IV. Even with 1280x1020 the game is lagging / running at around 24 FPS, and if I set it higher the whole game starts to lag. The weird thing with that is: The PC with its uber-ressources should be able to handle it with ease.

So thats the result of my benchmark-test:

(Some things are in german, but you should understand them)
Код:
Statistics
Average FPS: 16.91
Time: 37.43 Sec
CPU-Usage: 39%
RAM-Usage: 61%
GPU-Usage: 42%

Graphic-Settings:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 (59 Hz)
Texturenqualitдt: Low
Texturenfilter-Qualitдt: Low
Viewdistance: 17
Detaildistance: 70

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 
Graphiccard: ATI Radeon HD 4650
Video-Driver Version: 8.14.10.678
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU  Q8300 @ 2.50GHz

Thats just bla-bla, fact is my PC should and does run every game with ease, except GTA IV. Something MUST be messed up.

Yea it's bugged for me too. It starts lagging after 15-30 minutes.
Hope they will fix that shit.

Well, there are SO MANY fucking other bugs, for example the Multiplayer mode is a complete mess. I keep loosing connection and it can hardly find any servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo3
Well, there are SO MANY fucking other bugs, for example the Multiplayer mode is a complete mess. I keep loosing connection and it can hardly find any servers.
Only my opinion but GTA 4: MP sucks.

How about your RAM Memory? How much do you have it?

4GB DDR3. I want to give that game back, but I bought it via Steam -.- Iґd better spent my money on MW2.

Well my pc runs it fine and i have a 5 year old 2.1 ghz dual core AMD.....but it may be lagging you because you are using Windows 7, if you run it in XP mode it takes a little cpu to run it.. All depends on OS or if the game is messed up.

It should run it fine, guess it's the game

You have patch 1.0.4.0 right? it adds more options for graphics

and your ATI might be lagging you, my friend has a high graphics ATI and lags alot even with a quad core and his graphics look terrible compared to mine.

Nvidia FTW :P

Hope you get it working

I would guess your graphics card's memory bandwidth is too low.

GDDR2 at 800mhz on a 128bit bus is pretty poor for todays standards, it only makes up for about 12.8GB/sec.
I'll give you something to compare it against; I used to have an NVidia 7800GS AGP, that thing is like 4 years old if not more but it had somewhere around 34GB/sec of memory bandwidth.
To give some more examples, 1 year old high performance graphics cards like ATI's HD4870 or NVidia's GT280 have well over 100GB/sec of memory bandwidth.

Many people think the amount of memory on a graphics card makes up for how much performance it has, this is however complete bullshit.

Edit: Typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnzor
Well my pc runs it fine and i have a 5 year old 2.1 ghz dual core AMD.....but it may be lagging you because you are using Windows 7, if you run it in XP mode it takes a little cpu to run it.. All depends on OS or if the game is messed up.

It should run it fine, guess it's the game

You have patch 1.0.4.0 right? it adds more options for graphics

and your ATI might be lagging you, my friend has a high graphics ATI and lags alot even with a quad core and is graphics look terrible compared to mine.

Nvidia FTW :P

Hope you get it working
1. It has nothing to do with OS.
2. Patch 1.0.4.0 was meant to be a FPS bug fix, but game is still fucked up
3. He should run fine on his card and I also on mine.

This game needs one serious patch.