[suggestion] IsPlayerTyping

This would be useful, because when you type you don't wanna be killed or played with, so if it could be detected then there could be made some kind of a protection.

That's just one of the examples...

Anyway i think it would be cool and i think it isn't hard to make.

I think this would be on of the lists too.

This want be nice!

Yea, good idea.

yea cool, can also be used to sign the others "Meta is typing ..." in a chat bubble ^^

I think we need a way of enable/disable it by the server if it's added

Example: DisableIsPlayerTyping(); to disable it, and it would be on by default

well, i think think realisation such a function could be difficult, because the server is only able to detect GTA:SA specific keys.

new exploit:

"PlayerX was warned - typing to avoid death"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael
Посмотреть сообщение
new exploit:

"PlayerX was warned - typing to avoid death"
lol
But won't this function waste CPU usage?
It calls every time when a player types a character :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by leong124
Посмотреть сообщение
lol
But won't this function waste CPU usage?
It calls every time when a player types a character :/
Exactly, it would waste a lot of server/client resources which is in my opinion a pretty bad idea. It's kinda easy to make a suggestion, but you should always consider CPU & bandwidth usage.

Apart from what G-sTyLeZzZ said, I think this is a lame idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [L3th4l]
Посмотреть сообщение
Apart from what G-sTyLeZzZ said, I think this is a lame idea.
How about just adding more key states to oPKSC?

That will be good for key binding,
but it's useless to check if a player is typing.

Performance should really be a non-issue for this, especially when comparing it to the other features in SA:MP.

The client would only be required to send a signal when the player opens the chatbox, then send a signal when the player hasn't typed within x seconds whilst in the chatbox. If you gathered statistics you'll probably find this will not be executed often either.

Whether this performance is wasted or not is subjective and is ultimately up to the scripter/server owner. I would not however say it requires a lot of performance, not by a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cank
Посмотреть сообщение
well, i think think realisation such a function could be difficult, because the server is only able to detect GTA:SA specific keys.
The limitations you have are different to the limits that the SA:MP team has. The SA:MP team on the other hand can detect whatever keys they want.

Only use:

Nametag Label of "Name is typing"

Well good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-sTyLeZzZ
Посмотреть сообщение
Exactly, it would waste a lot of server/client resources which is in my opinion a pretty bad idea. It's kinda easy to make a suggestion, but you should always consider CPU & bandwidth usage.
Excuse me? With all the keystate/animation or camera/ped/vehicle position change updates sent? You're implying a single bit, which could in the end be merged with OnPlayerKeyStateChange data and use absolutely no further resources, really would matter?

I mentioned OnPlayerKeyStateChange, since it might be solved by setting a flag when player opens up the chatbox, and unsetting it when the chatbox gets closed (or the player stops typing if you will) - there is no need to send every single character. No additional callback, easy to handle in pawn, does exactly what we need it to do. Notifying other players itself should be left for developers to do.

And with all of the RolePlay-improving features in 0.3c, this would be the biggest and most helpful one. Yet the simplest!

In the client side:
When a player presses T || ` || f6 a variable gets set (typing[playerid]=1).

In the serverside:
IsPlayerTyping(playerid) return typing[playerid];
Of course with connecting.

And I don't think it would use "soo much" CPU or bandwith, unless you script it very badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-sTyLeZzZ
Посмотреть сообщение
Yeh, just make it detect whenever a player opens their chatbox and consider it typing, when they close the box they're not typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlip
Посмотреть сообщение
Yeh, just make it detect whenever a player opens their chatbox and consider it typing, when they close the box they're not typing.
Yep, simple as that.