Hashed Passwords

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCop228
Посмотреть сообщение
It all seems to be working correctly! Thank you for the help, Calgon. I owe you!
I commend you for going the Whirlpool route.

Wait a minute. Now I get this;

Код:
[20:18:35] sscanf warning: String buffer overflow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis-
Посмотреть сообщение
I commend you for going the Whirlpool route.
What's so wrong with MD5? Yes, it's "un-hash-able" but how often is it someone is going to take the time to get your database information, then un-hash the passwords then log onto the server just because they can.

Unless its for something more than a SA:MP Server, then yeah, I understand your concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim_
Посмотреть сообщение
What's so wrong with MD5? Yes, it's "un-hash-able" but how often is it someone is going to take the time to get your database information, then un-hash the passwords then log onto the server just because they can.

Unless its for something more than a SA:MP Server, then yeah, I understand your concern.
Agree, and if you mean its so unsecure, try mixing MD5 and SHA1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim_
Посмотреть сообщение

You're missing the point. The thread starter is asking about security. People foolishly were pushing MD5 as a secure method of password hashing - either through lack of knowledge or laziness of dealing with a simple plugin.

What's wrong with MD5? It is crackable. There are a few thousand websites who will decrypt an MD5 hash for you in half a second. Case in point, it isn't secure. Go the Whirlpool route. It is flawless and uncrackable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameltoe
Посмотреть сообщение
Agree, and if you mean its so unsecure, try mixing MD5 and SHA1.
Something wrong with Whirlpool? Are you not understanding that it is uncrackable?

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Something wrong with Whirlpool? Are you not understanding that it is uncrackable?
Is Whirlpool usable within other applications? like php? Don't think so. but I'm sure it can be implemented to php aswell.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
You're missing the point. The thread starter is asking about security. People foolishly were pushing MD5 as a secure method of password hashing - either through lack of knowledge or laziness of dealing with a simple plugin.

What's wrong with MD5? It is crackable. There are a few thousand websites who will decrypt an MD5 hash for you in half a second. Case in point, it isn't secure. Go the Whirlpool route. It is flawless and uncrackable.

If you are stupid enough to send your server MD5 hash passwords, than your petty stupid. Maybe this "whirlpool" is uncrackable, does it mean it is flawless? Keep in your mind that MD5 exists longer, and that the most unhashers of MD5 are ment for PHP usage, NOT samp

In my experience, Whirlpool is pretty secure. I know of a couple servers who use Whirlpool password hashing and they have never had somebody break their database password(s). As long as it's safe, secure and works, I don't give a crap what it is.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Is Whirlpool usable within other applications? like php? Don't think so.
Yes, it is.

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/function.hash.php

Quote:

1. md4
2. md5
3. crc32b
4. crc32
5. sha1
6. tiger128,3
7. haval192,3
8. haval224,3
9. tiger160,3
10. haval160,3
11. haval256,3
12. tiger192,3
13. haval128,3
14. tiger192,4
15. tiger128,4
16. tiger160,4
17. haval160,4
18. haval192,4
19. haval256,4
20. adler32
21. haval128,4
22. haval224,4
23. ripemd256
24. haval160,5
25. haval128,5
26. haval224,5
27. haval192,5
28. haval256,5
29. sha256
30. ripemd128
31. ripemd160
32. ripemd320
33. sha384
34. sha512
35. gost
36. whirlpool
37. snefru
38. md2

Are you going to continue digging yourself into a bigger grave, Cameltoe? Whirlpool is uncrackable. You can't crack Whirlpool if you had a supercomputer running for the age of the universe. (partial quote from Y_LESS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCantScript
Посмотреть сообщение
Oh the irony, RealCop228!
Quite right. Not that I mind ReadCop asking for help in forum, but by posting that while he often seeks help himself, he becomes hypocrite.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Is Whirlpool usable within other applications? like php? Don't think so. but I'm sure it can be implemented to php aswell.
Re-read my reply to Grim_, cluebee.

When I said along the lines of SA:MP, I understand players have trust in you having their information kept private, it was just the thought of someone taking the time to find the database, etc to get information about a online game server. I suppose however if someone is truly that immature, and that amount of time, they would.

I've always thought md5 was a very secure hash, but I suppose not. I'll be working with Wirlpool in the future.