Ping & Latency

I am in the process of establishing a competitive DM server therefore I would like a fair playing ground, at what ping would you say a player begins to have an advantage when it comes to hit registration. I want to limit the maximum ping a player can have, but I am unsure at what high of a ping a player has to have for them to be considered 'laggy'.

I was thinking around 350 however I would like some feedback on your experience playing, thanks.

Latency and ping are too completely different things.

Now onto topic I have said this about a week ago and I will say it again ping means completely nothing if your servers network is a piece of crap or is being choked. Have a look at my post http://forum.sa-mp.com/showthread.ph...99#post3513699

A player with a piece of crap PC or network as well even if hes located close to the server and is ranging under 100 ping could easily have bad hit boxes as well and I don't think ping should really matter in this case.

500+ ping = kick, the ping average depends on your position, internet speed and etc etc, so according to your public (will the server be global?) you must think on all players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake187
Посмотреть сообщение
Latency and ping are too completely different things.

Now onto topic I have said this about a week ago and I will say it again ping means completely nothing if your servers network is a piece of crap or is being choked. Have a look at my post http://forum.sa-mp.com/showthread.ph...99#post3513699

A player with a piece of crap PC or network as well even if hes located close to the server and is ranging under 100 ping could easily have bad hit boxes as well and I don't think ping should really matter in this case.
Interesting read, I understand things like server location and the servers network are things I cannot really control. Especially server location, not everybody will have prime pings however I am highly shocked to see that FPS has a strong impact on hit box's, can I ask where this information comes from or is it just from experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsLeon
Посмотреть сообщение
500+ ping = kick, the ping average depends on your position, internet speed and etc etc, so according to your public (will the server be global?) you must think on all players.
Thanks for your input.

Well you can see if a player is lagging or more importantly desynced based on the packet loss of the player. You can use the GetPlayerPacketLoss(or the more accurate alternative suggested on the wiki page).

pawn Код:
// run this code maybe every 10 seconds or so?
new Float: packetloss;
GetPlayerPacketLoss(playerid, packetloss);

if(packetloss > 0.1) // player is most likely lagging
{
}

else if(packetloss > 1.0) // player's network is lagging badly and dropping a lot of packets
{
      Kick(playerid);
}
Though as I said, the wiki reports the function to not be so accurate and recommend's RedFusion's method(though I have no experience for the functions, so I don't know if any of them are all that accurate)

http://forum.sa-mp.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=984

This will not detect FPS or game related lag; only network based lag. You can also use FPS functions to check if the player's game is lagging or not and factor that in aswell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abagail
Посмотреть сообщение
Well you can see if a player is lagging or more importantly desynced based on the packet loss of the player. You can use the GetPlayerPacketLoss(or the more accurate alternative suggested on the wiki page).

pawn Код:
// run this code maybe every 10 seconds or so?
new Float: packetloss;
GetPlayerPacketLoss(playerid, packetloss);

if(packetloss > 0.1) // player is most likely lagging
{
}

else if(packetloss > 1.0) // player's network is lagging badly and dropping a lot of packets
{
      Kick(playerid);
}
Though as I said, the wiki reports the function to not be so accurate and recommend's RedFusion's method(though I have no experience for the functions, so I don't know if any of them are all that accurate)

http://forum.sa-mp.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=984

This will not detect FPS or game related lag; only network based lag. You can also use FPS functions to check if the player's game is lagging or not and factor that in aswell.
+1, thanks for providing me with some source into how to control possible de-synced players. Although I have not experienced this issue yet, it will be implemented to ensure the issue is as little as it can be. Appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterTDM
Посмотреть сообщение
Interesting read, I understand things like server location and the servers network are things I cannot really control. Especially server location, not everybody will have prime pings however I am highly shocked to see that FPS has a strong impact on hit box's, can I ask where this information comes from or is it just from experience?
If your lagging your clearly not going to get hit or lose health as fast especially because SAMP isn't fully synced like most FPS games that forces health down from the server towards the client, instead on SAMP the clients sends hit information to the server meaning FPS can play a big role in that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterTDM
Посмотреть сообщение
I was thinking around 350 however I would like some feedback on your experience playing, thanks.
Ye your idea is good.Around 350 is o.k. So, proceed with that.

Regards,
maxQ