Hello!

Hello dear SAMP Community.

I have technically been a part of this greatness since 2011. But I did quite frankly forget my e-mail password and username that I used for my old account, so I'll have to start out with a new one.

I hope you all will welcome me with open arms, and I hope that you can help me out with a few questions.

Can anyone tip me off where I can start learning how to code in pawn?

Hmm you were old member here from 2011?(and you don't know anything about pawno scripting)
Nvm, well you need to start checking samp wiki and other people's scripts. But you need to start from beginning and not high scripts cuz you will be confused.

You know what could help you, if you download some game modes, and filter scripts open them up and take a look at them, look at how the pro scripters used the functions and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Magaсa
Посмотреть сообщение
Hmm you were old member here from 2011?(and you don't know anything about pawno scripting)
Nvm, well you need to start checking samp wiki and other people's scripts. But you need to start from beginning and not high scripts cuz you will be confused.
Ok, the reason that I don't know nothing about pawno scripting is because I never really tried scripting when I was a member back in the days. I only played on other servers and made some private ones where me and my friends just messed around. I'm currently looking to open a Cops n Robbers server or a RP one.

I've said a few times, editing existing scripts is a great way to not only learn scripting, but pick up neat tips & tricks along the way. Like most things, there's lots of ways of doing things but some ways are more efficient than others.

Skim through existing code, If you don't know what it means look it up on the wiki and you'll piece the puzzle together in no-time.

Then try replicating it, make a FS to start off with or something like that, and work your way up. Post on the forums if you get badly stuck!

Good luck, I was in your shoes once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoap
Посмотреть сообщение
I've said a few times, editing existing scripts is a great way to not only learn scripting, but pick up neat tips & tricks along the way. Like most things, there's lots of ways of doing things but some ways are more efficient than others.

Skim through existing code, If you don't know what it means look it up on the wiki and you'll piece the puzzle together in no-time.

Then try replicating it, make a FS to start off with or something like that, and work your way up. Post on the forums if you get badly stuck!

Good luck, I was in your shoes once.
Thank you NoSoap. We have all started off from the beginning.

Can someone tip me off, what would be better for me to start off with? A CnR server or a RP one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianSoldier
Посмотреть сообщение
Thank you NoSoap. We have all started off from the beginning.

Can someone tip me off, what would be better for me to start off with? A CnR server or a RP one?
Honestly, I'd go for either-- whatever you are looking to aspire to.

RP servers (depending on how they are coded) generally are a base, with lots of includes and other scripts attached and consist of a lot more code than CnR (although they can be simpler too, again depends on the code etc).

CnR are generally one gamemode file, so could be easier to edit and learn from (from my perspective).

Depending on your knowledge I'd start off with a simple TDM script first. It might seem tame or not what you are after but they are really easy to get your head around.

How about starting from scratch and work your way up?

- Start a new script
- Open your internet browser
- Open 3 tabs:
--- 1: ******
--- 2: SA-MP Wiki
--- 3: SA-MP Forum (search)
- Use these 3 websites to search and use to gain knowledge.

That's how I learned to script.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoap
Посмотреть сообщение
Honestly, I'd go for either-- whatever you are looking to aspire to.

RP servers (depending on how they are coded) generally are a base, with lots of includes and other scripts attached and consist of a lot more code than CnR (although they can be simpler too, again depends on the code etc).

CnR are generally one gamemode file, so could be easier to edit and learn from (from my perspective).

Depending on your knowledge I'd start off with a simple TDM script first. It might seem tame or not what you are after but they are really easy to get your head around.
I was actually asking about what would be easier for me to start to host on my server.

I am planning to rent one and then build up a community around that server. I think I'll go with CnR then, but first I want to try my way around scripting/coding so I'll set up a local server.

Thanks for the tips though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorwegianSoldier
Посмотреть сообщение
I was actually asking about what would be easier for me to start to host on my server.

I am planning to rent one and then build up a community around that server. I think I'll go with CnR then, but first I want to try my way around scripting/coding so I'll set up a local server.

Thanks for the tips though!
In which case, CnR is most likely the best to start out on. Roleplay servers require a hardcore playerbase who are dedicated to coming back again and again.

I started like you with a CnR gamemode, and from that I learnt PAWNO (but we're going back about 5 years here!)

It should be the easiest to build a community up on, and after that you could think about another more hardcore gamemode such as a roleplay one.

It's ultimately up to you, but good luck in whatever you do-- don't be shy to ask for help!