Do you like the idea of perma-death/forced CK in roleplay?

Hey,

I'm planning out a very strict (but unique and feature-rich) roleplay server with someone. I suggested that when somebody dies, they are permanently killed. They must change their name and start a new character although their level and other out-of-character stats are retained. He disagreed with this. However, I had some conditions:
  • We'll have a forensics system which increases players' chances of getting caught and will make them think twice about killing somebody.
  • With an injuries system, it's less likely that you'll die and more likely that you'll just be wounded and then treated by the emergency medical technicians.
  • There will be a rule against killing people who did not put themselves in the dangerous situation, unless they bring it on themselves. For example, you cannot kill somebody you just robbed unless they provoke you. The exception is certain hostage situations as these will be monitored by the administrators anyway.
  • There will be the death penalty for murder and the death penalty means you are permanently killed.
  • Prison sentences will be quite a bit longer than in other servers, especially for serious crimes. Although this is balanced out by a parole and celebacy system, it will deter people from commiting crime.
Why am I for this?
  • It will deter people from getting into shootouts over petty, non-RP reasons because they will be at risk of dying.
  • It will make people more emotionally invested in their character and roleplay.
  • It will prevent people, especially the police, from acting like a Terminator and will give police officers actual incentive to take proper safety precautions in the line of duty, rather than just roleplaying them for the sake of it.
  • Getting into a shootout for a legitimate roleplay reason and knowing that everything at risk is probably the biggest gaming high you can get.
  • If you are killed for a legitimate reason then in the name of roleplay, why should you be able to walk out the hospital and act like nothing ever happened?
  • It will prevent people from commiting suicide to avoid roleplay. For example, people commiting suicide to avoid arrest and commiting suicide to avoid being robbed.
  • It creates a great risk versus reward system and gives you real incentives to play a certain way.
So what do you think? Post your reasoning as well!

Well, I totally agree with this, except that you loose everything but OOC stats when you die. For example, if you worked a long time to get a house, and you die, you lost it and must start again. I don't know how you want to do this with money, but if you loose money too, I would disagree. For all the other things, I agree.
I like this kind of 'heavy roleplay' (I prefer calling it "Reallife-gaming" ). The problem is that the most people just kill, even in a SWAT team. I've been a SWAT leader several times (in SAMP off course, since I am only 15 >.<), and they did nothing but killing. I tried to train them to use things to stun the suspect(s), but they did not obey. If your server actually is gonna have this all, I'll be looking forward to play it. (Especially when I could join the SWAT team or just the police - but normal roleplaying, is what I like very much too).
I wish you much good luck and erm,... well, good luck

I've had similar ideas, and I'm against being CK'ed from getting killed once. I am however, up for CK after a few chances are given. If someone keeps fucking with you, multiple times and it keeps going and going and going, and fucking up with the Police, with Gangs, someone may post a CK application on them and they'll be CK'ed.

We'll have a forensics system which increases players' chances of getting caught and will make them think twice about killing somebody. - Good luck finding the crowd, good idea I''ll attempt nice I get a playerbase.

With an injuries system, it's less likely that you'll die and more likely that you'll just be wounded and then treated by the emergency medical technicians. - Like an Auto-Crack system? That'd be good, with a bleedout time unless EMS comes to help you.

There will be a rule against killing people who did not put themselves in the dangerous situation, unless they bring it on themselves. For example, you cannot kill somebody you just robbed unless they provoke you. The exception is certain hostage situations as these will be monitored by the administrators anyway. - This kind of interlaces with DM, although I believe in scenarios and different reasons you may kill someone.

There will be the death penalty for murder and the death penalty means you are permanently killed. - Not a good idea, every shooting or killing = death and CK.

Prison sentences will be quite a bit longer than in other servers, especially for serious crimes. Although this is balanced out by a parole and celebacy system, it will deter people from commiting crime. - Good to see a Parole system in-tact. How long are you talking about? Depending on the times, alt-tabbing or afk'ing should be allowed.

It will deter people from getting into shootouts over petty, non-RP reasons because they will be at risk of dying. - Good but you need some action.

It will make people more emotionally invested in their character and roleplay. - Good way to develop character, and fear.

It will prevent people, especially the police, from acting like a Terminator and will give police officers actual incentive to take proper safety precautions in the line of duty, rather than just roleplaying them for the sake of it. - Like it.

Getting into a shootout for a legitimate roleplay reason and knowing that everything at risk is probably the biggest gaming high you can get. - Like it, but it goes next to what I'll say at the end.

If you are killed for a legitimate reason then in the name of roleplay, why should you be able to walk out the hospital and act like nothing ever happened? - To much of a hassle to get CK'ed after every death.

It will prevent people from commiting suicide to avoid roleplay. For example, people commiting suicide to avoid arrest and commiting suicide to avoid being robbed. - Might just make people quit, this may help though.

It creates a great risk versus reward system and gives you real incentives to play a certain way. - Good.

Final thoughts, is that some ideas come into good usage, as others don't dragging everything else down. You need some action, some killings, etc. No one wants to get CK'ed every death they have. I think that it adds more thought into your day-to-day actions, but it's a bit to much. Don't prison people for 48 hours, or they will simply quit. Try options, then move to others. But don't follow thousandth with everything on here if you want a decent base. Good luck and ask me anything.

Yes its a nice idea .
But if its a Light Roleplay you could give the player the chance to change it after he will imidiatelly gets killed , but if its a Normal Roleplay you better let the player appeal on the forums.

You got to remember, the population of people in SA-MP who can actually roleplay this good. Sure I might be able to do this but for people who are not that good might just think of it as a Namechange, and not a CK. Like the others say... I am not going to repeat it, but they got the right idea. If you get this server up, PM me. I would love to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walton
View Post
You got to remember, the population of people in SA-MP who can actually roleplay this good. Sure I might be able to do this but for people who are not that good might just think of it as a Namechange, and not a CK. Like the others say... I am not going to repeat it, but they got the right idea. If you get this server up, PM me. I would love to try it out.
Yea whats you ve just said is true...

Leaving the player a will from his old dead character.

I've actually discussed this for a long time and thought of how the game mechanics would work.

I completely agree with your reasoning to doing it, it makes perfect sense to me, the problem in SA-MP roleplaying for me has always been the fact every server I have ever played on seems to take death fairly lightly, which causes a chain of problems. People don't take death as seriously, so they are pushed to not act in a more reasonable way in a life threatening situation. It also means assassinations will be pointless, messing with people in higher positions than you, for example in the mafia, literally has no consequences other than being hunted for a little.

If death became permanent, it would mean that people would have to far more careful in what they do and think very carefully about how they speak to people who are in higher positions than them. This also means that anyone planning a murder has to think very carefully about it, because if they are caught, their character will have to spend a very long time in jail. I think in order for that to be effective and not be too frustrating though, you should work on having an entire prison system in place, where the prison has guards, there are daily routines and it's like a new roleplay experience in of itself.

It should be made very hard for people to actually commit a murder though, weapons shouldn't be accessible easily to new players and there should be plenty deterrents from killing, it should be a last resort for any situation. I think the key thing in a system like this is the balance, it has to be finely tuned to be perfectly balanced, otherwise it will cause immense frustration.

I spent a lot of time playing text-based Mafia games and most of them had permanent deaths, but it was extremely difficult to kill someone. You needed a lot of money, you need to pick the right time to shoot, you had to account for backfire from that person which could critically injure you, you had to think about the consequences later as in the crime family could figure out who you were by finding witnesses (real people randomly chosen) and get information out of them. It creates a whole new dynamic, the witnesses might get killed by the family of the assassin for giving up his identity and the witness might get killed by the family of the murdered for not giving up the identity of the assassin. There is so much diplomacy and complexity to it, it's amazingly intense. The point being that while people can be killed just like that (newbies can't really kill though, as it takes a lot of money to gain the firepower to kill someone) yet killings aren't that abundant because of the complex consequences that can arrive from it.

If you did the system and did it well, I would certainly consider playing on that server. It would have to be done excellently though, you have to make the absolute perfect balance between the feeling of power, fear and ultimately frustration.

Additionally, the mechanic I was specifically considering was randomized death, depending on some factors such as your level over your opponents level, your weapon skill and your experience in killing. So when your player is killed (OnPlayerDeath), you would do a random calculation based on all of these factors and then the player will either end up in hospital, or completely dead. Really, as with most mafia MMORPG's, the maximum chance you ever had of killing someone was about 30% and that was from Godfather (highest rank) shooting at a Newbie (lowest), while having fully developed skills and the most powerful weapons.

It Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaTochNietDan
View Post
I've actually discussed this for a long time and thought of how the game mechanics would work.

I completely agree with your reasoning to doing it, it makes perfect sense to me, the problem in SA-MP roleplaying for me has always been the fact every server I have ever played on seems to take death fairly lightly, which causes a chain of problems. People don't take death as seriously, so they are pushed to not act in a more reasonable way in a life threatening situation. It also means assassinations will be pointless, messing with people in higher positions than you, for example in the mafia, literally has no consequences other than being hunted for a little.

If death became permanent, it would mean that people would have to far more careful in what they do and think very carefully about how they speak to people who are in higher positions than them. This also means that anyone planning a murder has to think very carefully about it, because if they are caught, their character will have to spend a very long time in jail. I think in order for that to be effective and not be too frustrating though, you should work on having an entire prison system in place, where the prison has guards, there are daily routines and it's like a new roleplay experience in of itself.

It should be made very hard for people to actually commit a murder though, weapons shouldn't be accessible easily to new players and there should be plenty deterrents from killing, it should be a last resort for any situation. I think the key thing in a system like this is the balance, it has to be finely tuned to be perfectly balanced, otherwise it will cause immense frustration.

I spent a lot of time playing text-based Mafia games and most of them had permanent deaths, but it was extremely difficult to kill someone. You needed a lot of money, you need to pick the right time to shoot, you had to account for backfire from that person which could critically injure you, you had to think about the consequences later as in the crime family could figure out who you were by finding witnesses (real people randomly chosen) and get information out of them. It creates a whole new dynamic, the witnesses might get killed by the family of the assassin for giving up his identity and the witness might get killed by the family of the murdered for not giving up the identity of the assassin. There is so much diplomacy and complexity to it, it's amazingly intense. The point being that while people can be killed just like that (newbies can't really kill though, as it takes a lot of money to gain the firepower to kill someone) yet killings aren't that abundant because of the complex consequences that can arrive from it.

If you did the system and did it well, I would certainly consider playing on that server. It would have to be done excellently though, you have to make the absolute perfect balance between the feeling of power, fear and ultimately frustration.

Additionally, the mechanic I was specifically considering was randomized death, depending on some factors such as your level over your opponents level, your weapon skill and your experience in killing. So when your player is killed (OnPlayerDeath), you would do a random calculation based on all of these factors and then the player will either end up in hospital, or completely dead. Really, as with most mafia MMORPG's, the maximum chance you ever had of killing someone was about 30% and that was from Godfather (highest rank) shooting at a Newbie (lowest), while having fully developed skills and the most powerful weapons.
Thats true , some lead admins makes the player pay for it real IC money so he can't send them PMs , like give me back a Change name...

Yes but in circumstances

What if someone starts to deathmatch?

I would leave the server and never come again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripac
View Post
What if someone starts to deathmatch?

I would leave the server and never come again.
Administrators would still be administering it.

"We are the ultimate second life 100% strict extreme roleplaying server, but players either never really die, or respawn after getting 30 shots through their head!"

Permanent death is the next step to "realistic" rps, as long as the players are ready for it. Try it, I like the idea.

This has to be monitored very well in order for effectiveness to be achieved. Otherwise, people will get mad and leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri3st
View Post
I've had similar ideas, and I'm against being CK'ed from getting killed once. I am however, up for CK after a few chances are given. If someone keeps fucking with you, multiple times and it keeps going and going and going, and fucking up with the Police, with Gangs, someone may post a CK application on them and they'll be CK'ed.

We'll have a forensics system which increases players' chances of getting caught and will make them think twice about killing somebody. - Good luck finding the crowd, good idea I''ll attempt nice I get a playerbase.

With an injuries system, it's less likely that you'll die and more likely that you'll just be wounded and then treated by the emergency medical technicians. - Like an Auto-Crack system? That'd be good, with a bleedout time unless EMS comes to help you.

There will be a rule against killing people who did not put themselves in the dangerous situation, unless they bring it on themselves. For example, you cannot kill somebody you just robbed unless they provoke you. The exception is certain hostage situations as these will be monitored by the administrators anyway. - This kind of interlaces with DM, although I believe in scenarios and different reasons you may kill someone.

There will be the death penalty for murder and the death penalty means you are permanently killed. - Not a good idea, every shooting or killing = death and CK.

Prison sentences will be quite a bit longer than in other servers, especially for serious crimes. Although this is balanced out by a parole and celebacy system, it will deter people from commiting crime. - Good to see a Parole system in-tact. How long are you talking about? Depending on the times, alt-tabbing or afk'ing should be allowed.

It will deter people from getting into shootouts over petty, non-RP reasons because they will be at risk of dying. - Good but you need some action.

It will make people more emotionally invested in their character and roleplay. - Good way to develop character, and fear.

It will prevent people, especially the police, from acting like a Terminator and will give police officers actual incentive to take proper safety precautions in the line of duty, rather than just roleplaying them for the sake of it. - Like it.

Getting into a shootout for a legitimate roleplay reason and knowing that everything at risk is probably the biggest gaming high you can get. - Like it, but it goes next to what I'll say at the end.

If you are killed for a legitimate reason then in the name of roleplay, why should you be able to walk out the hospital and act like nothing ever happened? - To much of a hassle to get CK'ed after every death.

It will prevent people from commiting suicide to avoid roleplay. For example, people commiting suicide to avoid arrest and commiting suicide to avoid being robbed. - Might just make people quit, this may help though.

It creates a great risk versus reward system and gives you real incentives to play a certain way. - Good.

Final thoughts, is that some ideas come into good usage, as others don't dragging everything else down. You need some action, some killings, etc. No one wants to get CK'ed every death they have. I think that it adds more thought into your day-to-day actions, but it's a bit to much. Don't prison people for 48 hours, or they will simply quit. Try options, then move to others. But don't follow thousandth with everything on here if you want a decent base. Good luck and ask me anything.
Cooo' I agree wit ya

This is a very interesting choice of topic. Honestly, JaTochNietDan has outlined my exact thoughts. I would love it people would actually take death more seriously. Making things more realistic (i.e. getting guns and killing people shouldn't be as easy as pressing three buttons) is the best way to accomplish this. I might try to run this by my administration team to see if I can get their thoughts about this...

RealCop :P Never going to happen seriously.

But what if the player falls from a building and die , and what if the player suicide (/kill)? .. And what will you do with Hitman and stuffs like that ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Karls
View Post
But what if the player falls from a building and die , and what if the player suicide (/kill)? .. And what will you do with Hitman and stuffs like that ??
Then he is dead. Hitmen are quite useless on normal servers anyway, why should you pay a lot of money just to let a player respawn at hospital?