Creating a RolePlay gamemode

Hey!

I had an idea to create my own RP gamemode but I've never worked with existing RPs, never edited one of them.
My question is, what would you advise, how to start working on it? Edit an existing (if this option, which one?) or try to create a new?

Please write down your experience about it!

Thanks
Nonameman

Creating a unique roleplay script can take a lot of time, and to be honest, roleplay gamemodes improve over time, and they can be extremely time consuming. There's nothing better than creating your own script from scratch, and I'd personally recommend that you create your own from scratch, although, as time consuming as it is; it's still a lot better than editing any existing ones.

My experiences are minimal, but I'm a developer for a roleplay server at the moment and the work that has gone into the script over the past two years is breathtaking, but heck; if you think you could pull it off, then by all means go for it!

Roleplay, as stated above takes a long time to fully complete one.

If you were to continue a roleplay, take into consideration:

-Don't be the same as the Godfather's, although you may think they have the 'best' ideas, they are overused.
-Open up unique possibilities, such as using MySQL (Not as unique as it used to be), but this is a great beneffit with things such as a UCP, Integratable website, etc.

You need lots of support to help you with a roleplay, but if i'm perfectly honest, I wouldn't bother with roleplay anymore. There are many, many roleplay servers already out, and the chance of yours becoming 'the next biggest roleplay server' just because it's a unique script is very unlikely, unless something seriously bad happens to the famous RP servers.

OR:

Make a russian server, I'm sure you'd get 100 players in no longer than 10 minutes.

Well I suggest finding a dedicated partner that will help you, or just find an existing server with people who are serious about their work, help them out with what ever, and get what ever you plan to do.

Good luck.

Yeah start from scratch, one thing I found when I began was editing scripts that are not of your own can be very hard due to the fact everyone has a unique scripting style for example I prefer to include all of my functions rather then having a 100k line long script.

Think off the border of roleplay, try go for something that hasn't been made before (making it based on the moon, year 3012 with futuristic stuff) having it be like that would be less time consuming then a ordinary roleplay gamemode.

It can take up to one month just having to make a moon based server, including making a map having to simply set the gravity to 1.0

Making a roleplay script from scratch is a matter of time. If you are lazy, I recommend you should not make a roleplay server because it requires patience, workaround, ideas and concentration.

Its not worth it. I joined a unique server 100% UNIQUE WITH MISSIONS, STORY LINES. guess what 1-5 players daily... They made a nice ad and still no one joins. Everyone joins the gay gf edits like; LS-Rp....

Its really sad to see servers like that.

Thank you guys!

Well, I had/have problems with starting because I don't know what part of it shall I make first.
While I was reading your issues, I thought it over and I also prefer creating an own script with own ideas, not necessarily RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonameman
Посмотреть сообщение
Thank you guys!

Well, I had/have problems with starting because I don't know what part of it shall I make first.
While I was reading your issues, I thought it over and I also prefer creating an own script with own ideas, not necessarily RP.
That's exactly what you need to do. Think of a clear view of what you want from your gamemode. Then start learning to script which will take years. Don't make RP if you don't like to RP, that's obvious.

It's fun to watch the gamemode grow and change during the time. I have backups from like 2 years ago and if I ran one of them it would feel like playing in a totally different gamemode. :P