Mac [I know people will rage].

So, i just finished my first semester of college, and my basic classes. It is time for me to get a new laptop and i am thinking of getting a Mac. What would you suggest? My budget is $1500.

Which laptop should i get, and why?

Why would you want a Mac?

An ultrabook or tablet is the best thing you can look for right now, and personally, I'd not suggest a Mac because you're going to need Windows more than Mac for programs, and half of your time is going to be spent in VMWare trying to emulate Windows tools.

If you're going for a non-Mac ultrabook:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...omputers&psc=1

If you're going for a tablet:
I'd suggest an iPad in this case, even though I despise Apple products, iPad is the best in the market right now for tablets.

@Calgon, if you had money what kind of laptop would you buy?

Edit: Nvm, you've edited your post haha.

Just edited my post to be a bit more specific. I'd buy that Asus Aspire S3 Ultrabook, it's pretty high spec and looks aesthetically pleasing.

I don't really want a tablet i think iPad is for like little kids to play games on it, i might not see a full potential of it but id rather have a laptop.

If your on a budget of $1500 I would suggest building your own PC if your that kind of person because then at least you pick what goes into it and you can pick the best your your PC use. eg. If you like graphics, making intros and stuff like that and you don't like pc gaming then I would get a PC with 16GB of Ram. On the other hand if you like gaming a lot then you should custom build with about 8GB of ram and maybe buy a Nvidia Geforce GTX 590 TI because that card can hold every game out at this time, its a bit pricey but well worth it.

But anyways up to you, if I was you on that budget I would Custom Build

EDIT: The GTX 590 doesn't have a TI version yet

Tablets are becoming increasingly more important, they can replicate the functionality of an average computer now, they're portable and they're much easier to use, given the screen.

Governments even use them now, so it's not just "kids playing games" on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan_Edwards
Посмотреть сообщение
If your on a budget of $1500 I would suggest building your own PC if your that kind of person because then at least you pick what goes into it and you can pick the best your your PC use. eg. If you like graphics, making intros and stuff like that and you don't like pc gaming then I would get a PC with 16GB of Ram. On the other hand if you like gaming a lot then you should custom build with about 8GB of ram and maybe buy a Nvidia Geforce GTX 590 TI because that card can hold every game out at this time, its a bit pricey but well worth it.

But anyways up to you, if I was you on that budget I would Custom Build

EDIT: The GTX 590 doesn't have a TI version yet
I guess if he wants it for studying he wants something a bit more portable.

As Calgon originally suggested, a type of tablet would be great for everyday use on campus. It's extremely portable, has good battery life, and can be used as a miniature computer. If you're worried about not having a computer to program with, in most cases, if you're taking a programming class they'll have computers already for you to use. Otherwise, they'd tell you prior to signing up for the class. If it's work you would need to complete at home (or dorm), you said you already have a computer. Why would you need another one?

And the common misconception about tablets being for kids. Trust me, there are a lot of spoiled kids who get tablets for like their birthdays (which is crazy in my eyes, as I always gotten $20-$50). However, at the same time, like Calgon pointed out, governments and high end businesses are using them and taking full advantage of their capabilities. It's definitely a good investment.

Another thing to note, you seem to only be buying this for programming. If I'm wrong please say so. But like I iterated above, why buy another computer when you already have one (especially for programming)? Find out if they are offering computers and use them, while your extra work do at your dorm and save a good amount of money. Save some for when you might need it later on, like purchasing a new car, or simply saving for any unexpected events to come up later in life. You could also purchase a tablet in the meantime for everything else. It WILL come in handy in college. In high school myself, mine has been more than substantial. I would assume it would be handy there, considering all the extra freedom and moving going on.

Just to note, by the look of the suggested laptops, you don't need that type of hardware. Really, all you need would be a good amount of battery life, and the rest being decent specs. I am running a dual core Athlon with 4 GB RAM and integrated graphics. I'm not doing anything heavy duty, which I assume you wouldn't be either running around campus, so it's not needed! You can buy a more than substantial computer for under $450 just doing things related to your courses and studies. Unless you're going to be using the laptop later on for things such as gaming, save your money from buying those type of processors and graphics that you'll never use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgon
Посмотреть сообщение
Tablets are becoming increasingly more important, they can replicate the functionality of an average computer now, they're portable and they're much easier to use, given the screen.

Governments even use them now, so it's not just "kids playing games" on them.
My school will be lending iPads to people over the year '9' since they're more mature then 7's and 8's but this is upcoming in the future, maybe a couple of years till we see the prices of an iPad fall down.

I strongly suggest a tablet as well. They have a functionality of a computer itself (as said by calgon) and to be honest, beats my CRAP laptop by miles.