Scripting

Alright, I know there is a lot of topics like this, I am only here to ask for a little advice.

I would like to know the ways of learning Pawn quick, I would love to know what I can do with it and all the functions, I've been trying to learn for about a year now and still don't know as much as I should.

Can you explain to me how you learned and what you used as it might be able to help me.

Kind Regards, Luis.

use this page:
https://sampwiki.blast.hk/wiki/Main_Page

and this:
http://forum.sa-mp.com/

&learn how and what for use the important functions and callbacks
you can also read tutorials

That's an obvious answer really, thanks though.

I know exactly where your coming from -Luis, I haven't the slightest clue where to begin.
I always see people say 'Read tutorials' 'read this' 'go here', but for some reason I just don't seem to learn much from it.

So as -Luis has stated: If anyone could either offer to try to teach somebody PAWN or just describe your journey and how you learnt how to program.

This would be a great help.

Thanks.

I started in 2008, just experimenting with GF script. Had really no clue what i was doing, learning slowly. Then i got tired cuz it was hard, but after some time again i wanted to try more. In 2010 i started making gamemode with a basic script with mysql features to learn more about that. It really opened up a new world of oppertunities and i started to understand alot more of pawn. Today, im below half avarage decent with this.
My point is it takes alot of time, unless you are really dedicated to learning it.

I began developing a few years ago. I wanted to own a server, I wanted the power of being a "server owner." Ironically enough though, I can't stand when people "run" servers just for the power.

Anyways, I started out with new.pwn and found that coming to the forums was the first step in learning. I D/L'ed the L.A.S. LuX Admin system and followed the code, even though I didn't exactly know what was going on. I asked questions and received answers (see here, some of my first threads may help you).

I learned how things worked and I researched them a little to know why. I kept using the main functions over and over, coding was a 24/7 thing for me. I learned new methods and became aware of more modern (and advanced) systems, such as sscanf, zcmd and MySQL. Learning these were key to success, and therefore I did.

I'm still learning, and I always will be. Honestly, start small, try developing small scripts like a TDM or something. You'll learn the functions, how they work, and why they work the way they do. You may be ambitious and feel like starting a role-play server, but that is WAY too complicated for a beginner- take it from me.

Good luck, -Luis!

Aha, thanks RealCop, I think I still have your MySQL script, I might code something out of that!

There is no quick way, be patient and learn something related to programming, if you script in pawn but dont understand how things are done you wont go far, i would suggest you to start with C++, plenty of tutorials on the internet, or just study something related to it, for example a software engineer, im studying that right now and its useful, ofcourse dont expect to learn the pawn language, but you will understand it, trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Luis
View Post
Aha, thanks RealCop, I think I still have your MySQL script, I might code something out of that!
I wouldn't recommend using that script anymore. One of the reason's I had the thread deleted was because it was inefficient and full of bugs. I didn't really know a lot about what I was doing when I released it. I know enough to release a much better one, but I honestly don't have the time (nor do I want to be bothered doing so).

Make little scripts, like a car function script just to learn, but do not feel the need to release every script you make. Don't script things for the community, but script for yourself.