SAMP and Home Networks

My setup may seem strange, may I just point out. I also don't think this is a major problem as I highly doubt many others have this setup.

I have GTA SA setup on a network drive which Synchronises to my network devices whenever they reconnect to my home network. I have SAMP installed with that copy of SA.

If, I have SAMP Client running while the network is syncing, and after the sync, I try to connect to a server, I get an error dialog box, however it contains no error message, just the red cross and an "OK" button.

I was unable to screenshot it, as while my network is syncing I have limited access to Windows functions (as my network runs of a single, core operating system) - However, I did re-create this "error" box in Visual Basic:

A simple restart of the SAMP client fixed the issue.

I doubt this has been posted before, however if it has I apologise.

Thanks,
Ash

The last time i saw a box like that was when i had hdd issues on my old laptop, though the game just crashed normally and i could close it through task manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxthefish
View Post
The last time i saw a box like that was when i had hdd issues on my old laptop, though the game just crashed normally and i could close it through task manager.
Mm, I'll check this on another laptop then, however this only happens when I sync.. Bad partition on my home network? Possibly?
But, the game wasn't running at the time, the only thing that was running while Syncing was ****** Chrome, and the SAMP client window.

Edit: Just checked on another laptop, the same thing happened - I forced it to sync while the SAMP client window was open (Nothing else was running) and if, after the sync, I try and connect - I get the same issue I described in the original post.

Update: I've recently changed networks (ie, from my house - to my gran's). My laptop cannot sync here, for obvious reasons. HOWEVER, I can link up my sync'ed network drives with the laptop attached to my gran's router. So, I did that, and it appears - that on reconnection of the network drives, the same bug occurs as described in my original post.

Edit: The operating system I have running throughout MY network, is Windows XP - the operating system running on my grans laptop is Windows 7 - So I don't think this is an OS issue, I'm guessing more of an HDD read error of some kind? (As, once it has been disconnected and reconnected, it could cause errors?)

Edit 2: Sorry for the double post, by the way.

Could be some internal error on how windows reads files and how the SA-MP client was designed to read from those files. I have to say that i have been using GTA SAMP over a network (have a shared drive on my desktop) and it runs great over 100mbps ethernet and even over WIFI it runs good (G wifi, i think its 8.0211 or whatever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowster
View Post
Could be some internal error on how windows reads files and how the SA-MP client was designed to read from those files. I have to say that i have been using GTA SAMP over a network (have a shared drive on my desktop) and it runs great over 100mbps ethernet and even over WIFI it runs good (G wifi, i think its 8.0211 or whatever)
Its fine while not connected (so local copies of my net drives) and while connected. However, when a synchronisation takes place, and the SAMP client is loaded, then the bug arises.

I'd put it in C:\Games\SAMP and make sure that the folder doesn't sync... Simply move it from where the synchronization is taking place.

What ever the sync program is it's failing, or the "use" in this manner is corrupting files, and isn't able to be used like this.

It isn't corrupting anything, just temporarily breaking the executable process...

The syncing program is Windows' default too.
The whole point of syncing installation is three fold:
  • So all my files/mods are whereever I want/need them
  • So data is backed up
  • So my server data, is in more than one location (to revert from a bad update, for example)
So your suggestion, though would solve the issue, would cause multiple other issues.

Also, it isn't corrupting any files as the SAMP client, once restarted, resumes normal operation.

Try mapping the network drive again and access it directly via the new mapped drive

Re-mapped; it works directly, just breaks when the drive synchronises!

Does it work fully now?

i may be able to get on teamviewer and take a peek, see if i can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djean1996
Посмотреть сообщение
Does it work fully now?
Yeap; a simple restart of the SAMP client window immediately fixes the problem.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
i may be able to get on teamviewer and take a peek, see if i can help.
Sure thing, though you might have to wait for it to synchronise as to reproduce the error haha

okay, im guessing you are 6 hours ahead of me based on your location, try leaving the samp client open and when it synchronizes send me a message on msn, dowster1@hotmail.com

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
okay, im guessing you are 6 hours ahead of me based on your location, try leaving the samp client open and when it synchronizes send me a message on msn, dowster1@hotmail.com

Alright