The secret behind players [Hopefully revealed]

So guys.

I Belive the secret behind getting players is sever uniqueness.
I think players want to see something new!

The thing is what's new to show? There is not much left to make so all servers are becoming the same!
Most are rp severs with either SARP or ravens role-play or a GF edit.
There are millions all the same so is anyone got any ideas what you would like to be invented for servers in the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fie
Посмотреть сообщение
I Belive the secret behind getting players is sever uniqueness.
I think players want to see something new!
Thank you, captain obvious!

On-topic: in SA-MP, almost everything has been done. There aren't much gamemodes like competitions, for example football and basketball competitions.

Also, to get a good server, you good admins, not total noobs that write their sentances with dozens of "!"'s and 9-year-olds.

Server uniqueness is just a part of the secret. Take Awesome Stuntages for example, I went there only a few times to see that you can get bored in there during the first 10 minutes, but yet there were more than 300 players constantly playing. I don't intend to be insulting towards RoBo or anyone, but apparently uniqueness isn't the only thing attracting new players.

Of course players like the eye-candy features like fancy textdraws and awesome communities that stick together, but the first thing people usually look at is the player count. If that is around 100 at the moment, it looks quite attractive and they'll join. I have witnessed my own server going from 130 players to 270 in a bit more or less than 30 minutes.

So we're not talking stunt servers here, I get it, and terms for a great RP server are a little different. There it is most definitely the community and the "climate" in general. A properly working business and house system of course are a great plus to everything. I remember playing on Argonath RPG 3 or 4 years ago, when it was still running heavily modified PEN1:LS scripts and although compared to modern creations it was nothing, the experience was still very enjoyable. But their community originated from somewhere else where their server was also the best one on the scene (MTA:VC), so I cannot give any tips on how to raise popularity for your server from ground up. I just have to mention that there are great coders out there who sometimes are having a hard time making stuff easy to use for players. I even find myself struggling with that from time to time, how to lay out something that is complex in code, simply for the user.

Quote:

On-topic: in SA-MP, almost everything has been done. There aren't much gamemodes like competitions, for example football and basketball competitions.

A separate gamemode for football/basketball would be disastrous: takes a shitload of time to create, players who read about your innovation join, play for 5-10 minutes, leave and never come back. It is a waste.
Implementing something like football or basketball competitions, if done properly, is very much complex calculations and code ran not just once or twice per second. I doubt writing it into a proper roleplay gamemode would have its upsides.

No, that's not the only secret, take Hostile Core.
The script is awesome, but it's empty.

Combination of uniqueness, community, and design attract players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskoft
Посмотреть сообщение
No, that's not the only secret, take Hostile Core.
The script is awesome, but it's empty.
This..

Being unique is not the answer: I can guaranteed it. You're better off grabbing a GF edit off the shelf and hosting it.

Want my facts to back up my response? HC-RP, COS-RP, PHXRP, and others. Those were/are all lucky to average more than 5 players a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFriSki
Посмотреть сообщение
Being unique is not the answer: I can guaranteed it. You're better off grabbing a GF edit off the shelf and hosting it.
Yes, but you still need to implement features that will interest the players, and a few unique features that don't have a heavy impact on gameplay are always beneficial, as well as the promise of frequent updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFriSki
Посмотреть сообщение
PHXRP
'Phoenix Roleplay' isn't unique, it's just a GF edit...

There is no "secret" to get lots of players. A servers success relies on a number of different factors.

The server must be fun to play, not just for 5 minutes (register, choose skin etc), but for a longer period. That will keep some players in server and if some are in, more will come. Roleplay script is the most difficult to get players IMO, because you need many players all the time for the server to be fun to play.