Right, learning PAWN.

I understand that the forum must be riddled with people constantly asking what's the best way to learn how to script and such, and yes, I may be considered another one of those people - but please take the time to read this and perhaps give some guidance, as I'm determined and I will only become another essence in the group of people that are keeping SA-MP alive!

So yeah, what I was wondering is not what's the best way to learn; because I've overheard reading through scripts, looking up functions etc. can be quite helpful, so I was wondering what decent scripts would be good to read over and learn from as a beginner? Just a few links would be appreciated, but if you have a better way of learning please notify me of that aswell.

I appreciate all feedback in this thread and anything is welcomed, thank you.

I personally suggest you to check my scripter's guide, for a INTRODUCTION (as it's not done yet, and won't update it as it's already dead, most likely). Then, browse some scripts, Vortex (1, not 2), Carlito's, Godfather.
Finally, read the Pawn_Lang.pdf (****** it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskoft
View Post
Carlito's, Godfather.
Actually, you should refrain from reading through either of those. They are years old and have been made with horrible scripting methods.

Quote:
View Post
Vortex (1, not 2)
Either one would be sufficient, but if you are interested in going towards MySQL systems you should really take a look at Vortex 2. Calg00ne is an amazing "scripter" and does a very good job creating efficient systems.

Once you begin learning a little more about how the basics are done, go ahead and search through this members releases. A lot of times, they will appear to be confusing at first when you try to read through what they do and how it's done. However, they are much easier than you would believe once you get the hang of them.

Another thing you can do is learn how this forum works. This board is great for asking questions and getting answers. I would refrain from posts where people begin discussing "horrible scripting methods" however. I would encourage you to read the forum rules too.

Enough babbling... have fun and good luck!

if you're going to look at other peoples work I recommend Y_less and Slice's work

I personally wouldn't consider looking directly through people's work, but to go through the 'instruction manual' of the language. Here is something I posted that basically answers your question:

http://forum.sa-mp.com/showthread.ph...12#post1269912

You can also contact me via PMs if you need some help getting the grasp on a couple things.

Also, use the wiki, seriously if you get stuck with stuff just go to the wiki and usually you will find your answer, and take everything a step at a time. I've been here a little over a year and that's what I did and now I'm finally getting my coding sped up and am able to understand and fabricate working code easily.

Experiment, script your own little commands. Maybe even start making a small gamemode or a filterscript. All that reading may be helpfull, but writing your own code will help you 10 times faster. You know what they say, writing something is like reading something twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCop228
View Post
Actually, you should refrain from reading through either of those. They are years old and have been made with horrible scripting methods.

Either one would be sufficient, but if you are interested in going towards MySQL systems you should really take a look at Vortex 2. Calg00ne is an amazing "scripter" and does a very good job creating efficient systems.

Once you begin learning a little more about how the basics are done, go ahead and search through this members releases. A lot of times, they will appear to be confusing at first when you try to read through what they do and how it's done. However, they are much easier than you would believe once you get the hang of them.

Another thing you can do is learn how this forum works. This board is great for asking questions and getting answers. I would refrain from posts where people begin discussing "horrible scripting methods" however. I would encourage you to read the forum rules too.

Enough babbling... have fun and good luck!
I personally used the Godfather to start scripting, although I had previous knowledge.
Also, I consider starting with a MYSQL system (considering it looks like he's completely new) wouldn't be nice, and yes, Calgoone is a great scripter.

Quote:
View Post
I consider starting with a MYSQL system (considering it looks like he's completely new) wouldn't be nice
Actually, it is much easier than file based systems IMHO. When I started coding, one of the first things I looked for was the best methods and functions to use. I later found out MySQL could provide the ability to create control panels and a lot of other amazing things. Therefore, rather than learning a file based system, I took off learning how MySQL works with SA-MP. It takes some knowledge of using MySQL to set up a database (or phpMyAdmin), but I would rather know MySQL compared to anything else. However, I am learning y_ini right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCop228
View Post
Actually, it is much easier than file based systems IMHO. When I started coding, one of the first things I looked for was the best methods and functions to use. I later found out MySQL could provide the ability to create control panels and a lot of other amazing things. Therefore, rather than learning a file based system, I took off learning how MySQL works with SA-MP. It takes some knowledge of using MySQL to set up a database (or phpMyAdmin), but I would rather know MySQL compared to anything else. However, I am learning y_ini right now.
Although, the fastest system in any programming language is native functions, and using native file functions is a great way to start. Although, I must admit you are right, MySQL can be easier.