Intel Or AMD [Full Build]

Now before you start reading this, please don't just assume that YOUR preference is the best thing for me :P

I'm building a computer soon, but I am first looking into what I should buy because I want to spend quite a bit of money for it to be worth my while. So the huge choice that I must make is AMD or Intel. Now I am going to be doing a lot of AUTOCAD work , possibly some 3D Modeling and OFC gaming. I was going to go for the Intel i5, and upgrade to the i7 if needed, but now I'm really thinking about going for the AMD phenom II X6 , and an ASUS Crosshair IV mobo to go with it. I am willing to invest for a watercooler, if i see that the stock is not giving it what i need. Note: I do not plan on overclocking, but it may come up.

Also I am not too sure on what wattage of a PSU I should buy, I am going to set up a RAID with two hard drives ( 0 i think ) so in total, i will have at least 3 HDDs (all SATA).

This will be my first build, so I am hoping that a few people can give me some idea's of what I should look into. I am just undecided on Intel or AMD

Thanks

Go for Intel if you want to do lots of things at once, go for AMD if you want to do one thing(large programs, games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krx17
Посмотреть сообщение
Go for Intel if you want to do lots of things at once, go for AMD if you want to do one thing(large programs, games).
I don't like doing many things at once :P. But AMD has some nice features when you run more CPU intensive programs that dont use all six cores; it disables some and ups the clock on the others. I've herd that the new AMD's run cooler than the sandybridge intel's

PS: I absolutely love your avatar, its freaking hilarious.

I have two computers, one with AMD and one with Intel. The AMD always seems to run games, photoshop, and CPU intensive software much better than the intel.

Thanks for the Avatar bit.

I personally have experienced the same performance out of both of them (with equivalent processor 'comparisons', like the Phenom x6 and i7 x6). I wouldn't buy an Intel again, just because you can get about the same specs for a fraction of the price.

I've got a Phenom x6, clocked on 6.2GHZ water-cooled, it works better than my friends i7, we've got the same graphics card, and the same amount of RAM, still mine runs GTA:IV smoother on highest settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck
Посмотреть сообщение
I've got a Phenom x6, clocked on 6.2GHZ water-cooled, it works better than my friends i7, we've got the same graphics card, and the same amount of RAM, still mine runs GTA:IV smoother on highest settings.
that's impossible to get 6.2 ghz with WC -.-"

the best records are almost that and they use Nitrogen...

Ontopic i think it depends if you have some money for a Intel sandybridge i think it's good...

i've my I7 920 and im happy with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarK TeaM PT
Посмотреть сообщение
that's impossible to get 6.2 ghz with WC -.-"

the best records are almost that and they use Nitrogen...

Ontopic i think it depends if you have some money for a Intel sandybridge i think it's good...

i've my I7 920 and im happy with it
It is possible, with a big enough reservoir, and 4 injection needles it will run 6.2GHZ with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
Посмотреть сообщение
If you're going for Intel be careful - they found a bug in the Sandybridge SATA component recently and had to recall thousands of motherboards. They have fixed the problem but suspect it will be (IIRC) April before new boards get out.
Yea, i herd of that at a computer store and that kinda turns me away a bit since I am going to be using at least 3 HD's.

ALL: Thanks everybody, I think I am going to go for AMD because of the comparisons that i have herd, and I want to have the same GFX card, and CPU. AMD has some nice features, and the mobo I am looking at is very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krx17
Посмотреть сообщение
Uh, what? That makes no sense. The brand seriously does not matter for this. In fact, the newest Intel's have faster single threaded performance when compared to their newest AMD counterparts.