Area 69 - The NEW Global Blacklist! Block cheaters and stuff...

Great!!!!!just great!!

This will be good

Good job

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MM]IKKE
Посмотреть сообщение
Also, banning by hardware IDs is quite buggy - apparently a lot of people have the same ID.
This was just one of the known-issues we could see with the method of banning that you suggested to us earlier, which is why we're just going to keep it the way we've done it for now and see how that goes

Hmm, not sure about this. I was always dubious about sprunkbuster too.

Why? mainly the human element. The more Admins (and teams of admins) that are able to add people to a blacklist the higher the possibility a 'bad apple' or several will start to have thier voice(s) heard. Bans appearing because of personal dislike, clan rivalries, simple 'that fucker killed me once too many times' knee-jerk reactions. Or simple mistakes, inexperienced admins make a lot of those. and experienced ones do so occasionally as well. This is frustrating enough for the innocent player when they lose access to thier favourite server. but losing access to all that run the system? Ugh.

Theres also the factor of the servers anti-cheat. Just how good is it? How effectively does it identify potential cheaters and how good are the tools provided for the admins when it comes to confirming those cheats? In my experience different servers systems vary enomously. And the less advanced may still be putting thier 'busted cheaters' forward for the list.

Then there is the change IP factor. This is the first thing a cheater will do when busted. A decent server script will identify that straight away (Like PS's) and reban, but Area 69 wont have the ability to do so. I think you underestimate just how quick and easy it is for most cheats to do this.

I also feel the spamming rule is a bit severe. Proper spamming attacks sure, spamming virii sure. But getting annoyed and saying a little too much a little too quickly in a server? Thats harsh. I'd only mute them in that server for a short period for such behaviour. Certainly not BAN them across every server that runs the script

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more unification when it comes to keeping genuine cheaters out of SAMP servers, I just dont believe this sort of system is the answer.

I have some ideas that would negate most of the worries I have mentioned above, and a few more. But I'd really like to discuss THAT possible system with the K man at some point, rather than in public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBump
Посмотреть сообщение
Hmm, not sure about this. I was always dubious about sprunkbuster too.

Why? mainly the human element. The more Admins (and teams of admins) that are able to add people to a blacklist the higher the possibility a 'bad apple' or several will start to have thier voice(s) heard. Bans appearing because of personal dislike, clan rivalries, simple 'that fucker killed me once too many times' knee-jerk reactions. Or simple mistakes, inexperienced admins make a lot of those. and experienced ones do so occasionally as well. This is frustrating enough for the innocent player when they lose access to thier favourite server. but losing access to all that run the system? Ugh.

Theres also the factor of the servers anti-cheat. Just how good is it? How effectively does it identify potential cheaters and how good are the tools provided for the admins when it comes to confirming those cheats? In my experience different servers systems vary enomously. And the less advanced may still be putting thier 'busted cheaters' forward for the list.

Then there is the change IP factor. This is the first thing a cheater will do when busted. A decent server script will identify that straight away (Like PS's) and reban, but Area 69 wont have the ability to do so. I think you underestimate just how quick and easy it is for most cheats to do this.

I also feel the spamming rule is a bit severe. Proper spamming attacks sure, spamming virii sure. But getting annoyed and saying a little too much a little too quickly in a server? Thats harsh. I'd only mute them in that server for a short period for such behaviour. Certainly not BAN them across every server that runs the script

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more unification when it comes to keeping genuine cheaters out of SAMP servers, I just dont believe this sort of system is the answer.

I have some ideas that would negate most of the worries I have mentioned above, and a few more. But I'd really like to discuss THAT possible system with the K man at some point, rather than in public.
My points on this system are identical to his.. Sadly. ;/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potassium
View Post
If a player wants to sit there and change their IP to evade the system then they must have a pretty sad life!
You don't need to have a 'sad life' to change your IP. You can do it within a few seconds actually...

Now I got a few problems with this ban system:
  • Why would I need bans on players from let's say South America who will never play on my server anyway?
  • Simply banning the cheaters on my own server would make things a lot easier (just as effective) and I can decide when they get unbanned too.
Sorry but I don't see a point in using a SA:MP wide ban system, based on IPs, which can really really easily be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni
Посмотреть сообщение
You don't need to have a 'sad life' to change your IP. You can do it within a few seconds actually...

• Why would I need bans on players from let's say South America who will never play on my server anyway?
  • Simply banning the cheaters on my own server would make things a lot easier (just as effective) and I can decide when they get unbanned too.
Sorry but I don't see a point in using a SA:MP wide ban system, based on IPs, which can really really easily be changed.
I completely agree. If anything like this should be made, it should be made by the SA-MP team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni
Посмотреть сообщение

..or your IP just changes automatically, lol.

You don't get the bans. On the playerconnect, you connect to the server and it checks if the player is banned. The bans are not stored on your server as long as you don't ban them.

Please read the topic also. This ban system only collects data of bans made by certain (trusted) servers. You can do whatever you want with it. You could, for instance, send a notification to online admins. This way they can be more alert on the player - and therefore ban him faster.

Changing IPs is a problem however, but that's a problem in every single server. There is no way at the moment to effectively ban someone.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
You don't get the bans. On the playerconnect, you connect to the server and it checks if the player is banned.
Great. What do you think do they store in their database? The IPs! And what do you think does it check when a player connects? Right, the IPs! If this is done on my server or on a different one does not really make a big difference if you ask me.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
This way they can be more alert on the player - and therefore ban him faster.
Why would this make things faster? If the IP is different (totally different I mean [ including range ] ) you are just as lost as without this system.