Resources needed for running a server with 500 players connected? VPS / dedicated server.

Hello.

I currently have a server that has 450 players connected hosted at some game hosting company in Romania and it's pretty expensive. It will cost $60+ for 500 slots. Since I do have to pay a ton of money for hosting the samp server, I was thinking about getting a VPS / dedicated server at the same price that I also can use to host other stuff ( teamspeak, a few websites, maybe a cs / small minecraft server ).

I'm using a gamemode that uses mysql for most stuff and some text files for logging some stuff. It's not the most optimized gamemode ever, but it's not a GF edit, I'm not saving data every second and stuff like that. I also use y_timers and I have 3-4 timers that run every second and 5-6 timers that run every 5-60 seconds.

I tried hosting the server on a VPS before, but after 200+ players connected it started lagging. The CPU and RAM usage wasn't on 100%. Not sure why. Can a server lag because of the CPU/RAM even if it's not at 100%? The CPU usage was at 60%.

So, what resources would a server need to host a 500 players server?
It's using a game hosting company the best solution?

Messages In This Thread