Fallout 1/2 gameplay clone - Proof of concept

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawhats
View Post
That's pretty cool Mauzen, but it would be awesomer if you can move the person with your mouse, it's a lot harder, but I think you can manage.
Well, it would have some advantages to use the real mouse for that, and not just the camera center. The way to go would be to add a grid of clickable textdraws all over the screen. Using globals for that, it would give a resolution of about 50x35. This would indeed be good enough for proper movement, at least in low camera angles. It would feel strange though for sharper angles, the textdraws would have to have different sizes in order to match the players camera angle properly. This would need player textdraws then, and 256 clearly arent enough for a proper resolution.
Also, you cant use keys while the textdraw-selection mode is active. That means you would constantly be switching between mouse and camera controls, gameplay would get stuttery and annoying. Additionally, currently you use the mouse/camera to point somewhere, and then got a set of keys to select what to do with that position, just hovering a certain position displays information about it. Thats pretty fluent. Using textdraws, you would have to click at the target first to get information, then select the action. Again, this would slow down the game.
IMO it works quite well just as it is right now. Sure, it can still use some optimizations to make selecting distant targets easier (right now selection is just 2D, considering the height of objects would help a lot), but after all I think using the real mouse with textdraws wouldnt be the better choice.

General information: As i am proceeding with this, it will eventually cause me to release updates for MapAndreas and RNPC. Yep, Im extremely egoistic about that. Many people waiting for updates, but I only do them when I need them myself But stuff like this actually is what keeps me motivated.

Messages In This Thread