Should a government be allowed to spy your net activities?

I know many well-intended discussions have gone wrong here in the past but I'll give it a go.

Like many of you know we recently had some major development on the internet-privacy area when a (former) CIA-employee called Edward Snowden revealed the top-secret PRISM program, used by the American government to monitor the world's internet-activities. The American government claim this is part of the War Against Terrorists and that PRISM has proven to be successfull with the prevention of terrorist attacks.

But even if it is for a greater good, the question stays: Should governments have the right to monitor your internet activities? Does it concern you that maybe, someone somewhere on the world is watching you right now? I'd like to know your opinion. Personally I'm a little concerned about this cause you're never able to control what's happening with the collected data.

Btw, this is not intended to be a 'hate-to-america'-thread, so please don't get it wrong. In this case, a lot of countries received information from the PRISM-program, so they're all guilty when it comes to this.

Messages In This Thread