What is good music?

Hi.

I always liked to rant about (in my opinion) bad music (German Hip Hop and such horrible shit).

But since good and bad music may not be the same for two different person, I wondered, how would one actually define good and bad music?

Criterias:
  • Lyrics
  • Instruments
  • Singers/No singers
  • Ambience (Emo music may make you sad, Dance music happy? Etc....)
  • Style in general
  • Emotions when listening to a song
  • Etc.
How do you define good and bad music?
What is important to you?
You may post one or two examples...

Please do not start a war like Hip Hoppers vs. Metal Heads or something like this.

I like bands like Nightwish or Within Temptation.
I really like the combination of classical elements and big orchestras combined with heavy tones and a beautiful voice of a woman.
Within Temptation's songs' lyrics are about serious topics. Well, I can't quite describe it. Nightwish's ones I often don't quite get.
And their songs are also varied, no song is really the other.
Another important point is that their music is not electronic, they play real instruments and don't use autotune.
I do really like artificial music where the beats are computer generated by up to 100% and the singers voice has been extremely modified.
Nightwish - Meadows of Heaven: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmXk1UhlIgg[/ame]

I like for example Taylor Swift.
She's got a beautiful voice and the lyrics of her songs.
She's got some kind of humour I really like and how she writes songs, they are often quite personal.
From what I've seen on *******, I also like her as a person. She isn't the "Sex sells" kind of woman.

I like Demi Lovato's song "Skyscraper" because it's a pretty emotional song. You can also see that the song mirrors her real emotions when watching her music video.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_8ydghbGSg&ob=av2e[/ame]

Oh I nearly forgot:
I can't stand German Hip Hop.
The rappers are anti-social A-holes in general, act like they are the kings of the world (while they are actually nobody).
And their songs are all about "I fuck you're mother", "You suck my dick, I'm your Boss, bitch.".
But there are also some good rappers like Blumio.

REMEMBER: Please do not start a war like Hip Hoppers vs. Metal Heads or something like this.

What about you?

Messages In This Thread
What is good music? - by Double-O-Seven - 12.11.2011, 21:36
Re: What is good music? - by Norn - 12.11.2011, 21:44
Re: What is good music? - by Dripac - 12.11.2011, 21:44
Re: What is good music? - by [MM]IKKE - 12.11.2011, 22:37
Re: What is good music? - by Haydn - 13.11.2011, 00:01
Re: What is good music? - by Astralis - 13.11.2011, 06:46
Re: What is good music? - by DirtyLilFreak - 13.11.2011, 06:58
Re: What is good music? - by KingHual - 13.11.2011, 07:13
Re: What is good music? - by Zh3r0 - 13.11.2011, 07:53
Re: What is good music? - by Kostas' - 13.11.2011, 08:00