Make a subdomain in cPanel, that acts as server IP

Hey everyone.

I have cPanel web hosting and my domain is in there. I want to create a subdomain like samp.mysite.com that can be used in SAMP to enter the server.

How would I do this?

You'll have to use a DNS manager for this, an 'A' record will need to be setup under the subdomain of your pleasing pointing directly to your server IP, as a redirect won't work here.

Can you give me a deeper guide on this?

Go to Advanced DNS zone editor in the Domains category.

Then something like this will show up...

For name just put samp and it should auto fill the rest of your domain after it once you click another box.

Make sure its type a, then change address to your current servers ip without port.

When you add the new sub-domain ip that you made into your samp client make sure to remove the direct ip to the server from your favorites list or it wont work.

Assuming that your DNS is on the same server as the cPanel administration tool (and that cPanel is managing it), you can do it through cPanel. It's been a few years since I've used cPanel, however if I remember rightly there is a feature called 'Simple DNS Zone Editor' (or look for something similar, I'm probably wrong). From there you will be able to add an 'A Record', which is the record required to map IP addresses to servers. The 'host' or 'IP' or whatever the 'content' field is, will be your SAMP server's IP address.

This may be of some use, though I haven't read it fully as I'm on my mobile device at the moment; http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/vie...impleDnsEditor

EDIT: nickdodd25's post is the correct way to do it. However, please be aware that you may also have to wait for these domain changes to propagate through DNS server's, which could take up to 72 hours. Any DNS changes have to be propagated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash.
Посмотреть сообщение
EDIT:However, please be aware that you may also have to wait for these domain changes to propagate through DNS server's, which could take up to 72 hours. Any DNS changes have to be propagated!
Whats weird is for something like this it was always instant for me. Unless i used a cname to redirect to another web-host then it took a while. I assume for a game server there's no dns changes needed since its just basicly a redirect unlike web traffic....but i'm probably wrong on that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdodd25
Посмотреть сообщение
Go to Advanced DNS zone editor in the Domains category.

Then something like this will show up...

For name just put samp and it should auto fill the rest of your domain after it once you click another box.

Make sure its type a, then change address to your current servers ip without port.

When you add the new sub-domain ip that you made into your samp client make sure to remove the direct ip to the server from your favorites list or it wont work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdodd25
Посмотреть сообщение
Whats weird is for something like this it was always instant for me. Unless i used a cname to redirect to another web-host then it took a while. I assume for a game server there's no dns changes needed since its just basicly a redirect unlike web traffic....but i'm probably wrong on that idea.
Technically any DNS change has to refresh over the network according to it's TTL (Time-To-Live). I've not known A record changes to take any longer than 15 minutes, and have had them seem 'instant'. You were probably lucky and caught it just as its TTL passed!

Can you please tell me which CPanel are you using ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspiron
View Post
Can you please tell me which CPanel are you using ?
I'm not using any version cPanel, I manage my own server's through SSH or the software's web control counterparts. I don't use my server in a way that cPanel would benefit from it!

Can you do it from within your domain providers panel? the usually supply the option to setup A records too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash.
Посмотреть сообщение
Technically any DNS change has to refresh over the network according to it's TTL (Time-To-Live). I've not known A record changes to take any longer than 15 minutes, and have had them seem 'instant'. You were probably lucky and caught it just as its TTL passed!
If it's cached with your local/isp's DNS then you will have to wait, otherwise the change is instant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorHost-Kevin
Посмотреть сообщение
Can you do it from within your domain providers panel? the usually supply the option to setup A records too.
That's how I do it, as my domain points to their nameservers and I've setup A records (and others for mail and what-not) to point to my server!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxthefish
Посмотреть сообщение
If it's cached with your local/isp's DNS then you will have to wait, otherwise the change is instant
I never knew it were based on an ISP cache, I thought it were just the general Internet and whatever DNS the requested domain were using!

Try this: for forum and bbc code:

Code:
[ url=samp://IP:PORT]Click Here To Join![/url]