A few tips to protect against hackers please? (real hackers not game hackers)

I know that hosting your own server is very dangerous do to it making it much easier for people to hack ur pcs... So I've shut my server down until I tighten things up a bit. Can someone point me in the right direction please? This is my first time hosting and I have no idea... Obviously a run-of-the-mill old AV with built in hacker protection isn't good enough...

I would suggest taking a look at this:

http://forum.sa-mp.com/index.php?topic=104758.0

This will block known SA-MP cheaters from entering your server. It's not exactly a full anti-cheat system for your server that DETECTS people cheating on your server, but blocks the known ones which have been recorded by official servers and authorised to be on the list.

He is asking about real hackers, not game cheaters

If you don't have a server which could be real competition to some other server with mental non-stable owner or you don't have any private resentments against other servers you don't need to be aware that a hacker would attack your server.

UberSocks, did you even read the topic before replying? He said he's talking about real hackers, not kiddies who download cheats. ThePS3Guy, make sure you're using an up-to-date Antivirus software, regularly scan your computer etc. Don't allow remote desktop connections.

Make sure your firewall blocks all connections except the ones you need ofc.
All things where you can put a password on: put a password on it.
Maybe some software that blocks attacks is useful too (but I don't know how much you can spend and if there is some free stuff on TEH INTORWEBZ )

Those are some extra thingies.