Grand Theft Auto San Andreas (singleplayer + multiplayer) freezing my computer

Hey all,

So i've been battling this problem for a while now and thought it was fixed after installing video drivers (before i found some information). Whenever I'm playing GTA SA, whether its singleplayer or SA-MP, my whole computer will freeze and I can only hard reset it with the button. As i said earlier i tried to install the latest graphics card drivers and it did stop for a while, but that was obviously just luck as it wasn't even the problem. Since it was freezing my whole computer i decided to go into event viewer to see if my computer logged what happened. I found this:

Under the "General" tab:

Faulting application name: gta_sa.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x427101ca
Faulting module name: gta_sa.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x427101ca
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000c67bb
Faulting process id: 0x1058
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3ae1e23be70b9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\gta_sa.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\gta_sa.exe
Report Id: 75038156-1a11-11e8-910a-005056c00008

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Logged: 2/25/2018 1:51:32 AM
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Windows7-PC
OpCode: (blank)

Under the "Details" Tab (friendly mode):

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Application Error

- EventID 1000

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 2

Task 100

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2018-02-25T09:51:32.000000000Z

EventRecordID 5467

Channel Application

Computer Windows7-PC

Security

- EventData
gta_sa.exe
427101ca
gta_sa.exe
427101ca
c0000005
000c67bb
01d3ae1e23be70b9
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\gta_sa.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\gta_sa.exe
75038156-1a11-11e8-910a-005056c00008
__________________________________________________ ___________________

If anyone can help me stop the freezing, or tell me at least what is going on, that would be great. Also I didn't know if this is where i should post it, or if i should even post it on here at all so I just am to see what you guys will say to me.

1) SA-MP version
2) Windows version
3) Video card type
4) IP:Port (if any) of the server you are trying to play on
5) If you are crashing, paste the crash report in your post and say when the crash occurs
6) If you are crashing loading SA-MP, please say whether GTA:SA single player works (test it)
7) Do you have any other GTA:SA mods installed? e.g. new vehicles

1) 0.3.7-R2
2) Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
3) NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
4) s3.gta-multiplayer.cz:7777 or 178.32.234.17:7777
5) No crashes just computer freeze
6) I know i wasn't crashing but I tried the singleplayer just in case and it also freezes with singleplayer.
7) Yeah, I have a gun pack, a wheel pack, a C-HUD, a cleo mod that keeps the wheel turned when you get out of the car, a cleo mod called H-Color that changes color of wanted stars and such, a cleo mod that says noisefix.cs (i don't remember what this is or when i installed it), memory2048.cs, and FPSUnlock (however it only works in singleplayer for me). I also have GInput installed for night time when i don't feel like bringing the keyboard to my lap (then i use a ps4 controller).

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me.

Try without mods.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=8109 (extract inside an empty folder and run DXSETUP.exe, then restart pc].

Download display driver uninstaller, latest graphics driver, uninstall graphics driver, reboot computer and hold F8 before Windows boot logo appeared, selet Safe Mode and use display driver uninstaller, then reboot into normal mode and install the driver.

Or try reinstalling windows if it happens just in gtasa.

If this happens in other games it can be related to hardware (the graphics card, or less likely the power supply), bios version. A good sign it's hardware is if it happens when the graphics card is working at a certain rate, like in games. There are forums that help with such things.

In general Windows 7 [haven't used 10 at this time] trips over small things in graphics cards like slightly "defective" ones (hope you understand what I mean), that it shouldn't if it were a better OS as the card did not cease to work. Doesn't necessarily say the card has reached its end of life stage.

I have re-installed windows already due to another matter, and I also stopped using this computer for a period of time because my mobo went bad, so i took the card and used it in another PC and continued playing SA-MP (not really singleplayer much) and it never froze once. And I also know that it used to happen when I played Fallout Shelter, but it hasn't happened anymore and I also never got errors from it like I got from GTA.

I also tried DDU before, but I will try it once more because I want to be sure it's not a problem, the freezing is annoying.

I'll go in game and make a list of the mods i have installed, and them remove them and play for some time to see if it freezes up.

I will come back with what worked and didn't work as soon as I've tried everything (except re-installing windows as that would be such a pain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr8B1T
View Post
I have re-installed windows already due to another matter, and I also stopped using this computer for a period of time because my mobo went bad, so i took the card and used it in another PC and continued playing SA-MP (not really singleplayer much) and it never froze once. And I also know that it used to happen when I played Fallout Shelter, but it hasn't happened anymore and I also never got errors from it like I got from GTA.

I also tried DDU before, but I will try it once more because I want to be sure it's not a problem, the freezing is annoying.

I'll go in game and make a list of the mods i have installed, and them remove them and play for some time to see if it freezes up.

I will come back with what worked and didn't work as soon as I've tried everything (except re-installing windows as that would be such a pain).
Alright, I uninstalled the drivers I had (which were the latest drivers from nVidia), and didn't install the drivers again, instead let windows install them. My performance actually picked up quite a bit, and I still froze, but this time it wasn't GTA that caused it. I did get an error for DS4Windows which is what I use to connect my PS4 controller to my computer, however I caught it because my controller stopped working and it didn't freeze when that error came. When it did freeze, i restarted and looked in event viewer, only to find a whole lot of nothing. I found when the critical power error came and the event that gets logged when you have an unexpected shutdown. The time logged on the unexpected shutdown log has no events logged at the time.

I tried playing without mods, still froze.

Unless there's another option to try because of a possible problem that wasn't found yet, I will continue trying to play until it's unbearable and i go through the process of backing up and re-installing windows again lol.

https://www.techpowerup.com/memtest64/

If your previous motherboard died, it makes me think of the power supply. What model is it? (seen on the unit's sticker).

Sometimes BIOS versions (and less often settings) have influence. What motherboard is it? That and BIOS version can be seen with HWiNFO (also, temperatures shouldn't be higher than 60-70c).

Worth trying a different graphics driver - the one before the latest, wasn't updated for 2 years - so it must've worked as it should. Also, the latest is only a security update.
https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/57492

Have you tried running as an admin? Sometimes that's helped me out, unsure why though.

Why'd you format your machine last, and why do you not want to repeat it?

I'm sure both answers will be linked, and that the problem could easily be your machine.

Why is your crashdebug return 'odd'? Have you got VisualStudio or some IDE installed?

More than likely it's the power supply that keeps on doing that. The reason is Fallout Shelter doesn't draw as much power from it as GTA. Speculation, but the model needs to be known as it probably fried the previous motherboard.

^^ Indeed... If a video card got changed, or even a harddrive got put in, the power rating on any PSU in anything made by a manufacturer will struggle on it.

And it's not even when the PC is just on, it's usually when the graphics starts being used, and load gets put on the machine.

Thanks for all your replies guys. I will edit this post with updated information as well as try new ideas later when i can.

Edit: I’ve gone and reinstalled windows, because freezes now occur outside of the game. I was reading online and found that i am experiencing deadlocks and that people who have them can be caused either by bad hard drives or bad memory, and I do have a second HDD so i disconnected it for now to see if they are still happening and if it is i may install windows on my secondary to see if they are still occuring.

I've linked you a memory testing program. And asked the power supply model.
Good luck, you're on your own.

Hey guys,

I'm making a new post so it makes it light up, as its possible you might miss it if i just edit (im not sure just being safe).

I was reading online about deadlocks (which is what I was experiencing), and read that either a second hard drive that was plugged in when windows was installed (which is was) can contain the bootloader when it wasn't supposed to, or that failing hard drives could also cause them. I had a second older hard drive installed that i used to record video to, and I didn't think it was the problem (i thought it would be my boot drive and i was kind of bummed), but I removed the secondary first to test. My computer hasn't been on 24/7 since, but its been on quite a bit since then. I haven't had one deadlock since and I believe that was causing the problem. The only thing I did have was yesterday or earlier today my keyboard and mouse froze but my screen was still moving (like chat was moving in SA-MP), which happened before but also seemed to stop. I don't know if the hard drive failing or if it was the bootloader causing the problem but i'm just glad its solved now.

Thanks to all you guys who either helped or tried to help .
I don't really know the routine when locking threads but if i can request a lock or if it needs to be locked a moderator can lock this thread.

Top marks to you for following up on this.

It will be interesting to hear what your findings are. Just as a reminder, not just the hard-drive could fail, the SATA cables may be kinked and need replacing. I always do my SATA cables last, and give them a lot of movement as I do change them up a lot.

Delete gta_sa.set

edit: ../Documents/GTA San Andreas User Files/gta_sa.set