What do you need when before making a server?

You need $$$ and brains for coordination

I love the replies that recommend the OP to have a brain. Most of the popular servers are ran by idiots that are oblivious to security and have close to no social/real life experience. Nobody wants to deal with someone that is unable to deal with people or someone who doesn't know when they are right / wrong.

You don't really need a brain to run a server. Extremo summed up a lot of good things you do need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammix
Посмотреть сообщение
You need PAWNO and a brain with knowledge about PAWN.

Make sure you have #tryinclude <ysi>, many users dont know large benifits of it. Such like y_lock and y_malloc.
#tryinclude <ysi>, that completely mak sense! lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkLorD
Посмотреть сообщение
You need $$$ and brains for coordination
$$$ > $$insane, the god code banger!

A computer... ._.
And money.. Money is everything..

Electricity

All you need to run a rather 'successful' server shall include the following;

- You should plan the whole gamemode (main idea, features, GUI blabla) before starting it. Make a really large note on what you're scripting, or else the end wouldn't be so good.

- Get support. I assure 99.9999% that you will leave your script halfway there or even release it if you are not getting any support from the back from players.

- Be organized: Be organized with your scripting. You should have the basic structure of your script, as well as what you are/are not going to add. Believe me, it helps.

- Have faith, patience, and a good knowledge of scripting: Scripting a server isn't a one-day job, if you are just thinking of copy/pasting otherwise. You should have patience, as well as the knowledge of what you are scripting.

That's all the main points I do before scripting something. So yea', here ya' go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammix
Посмотреть сообщение
You need PAWNO and a brain with knowledge about PAWN.

Make sure you have #tryinclude <ysi>, many users dont know large benifits of it. Such like y_lock and y_malloc.
why "PAWNO"? can't I just use different IDE? There are tons of IDE's to use.
why "ysi"? If I'm not feeling comfortable in using some library, why would that be less benefit for me? Explain. And why in particular y_lock and y_malloc is recommended by you? You probably have no idea about it that's why.

You need to have knowledge in what you are doing.

You do not need a custom made script, there are scripts there for a reason, however, you should credit the author.

You will need people. At first, your server will just be made up of who you are working with, they will invite people, who will invite people etc.

The first thing that I do, is take my gamemode, which is scratch, and upload it to a vps which I rent, right off the bat. It makes testing a lot easier. Then, I get a website to keep everything organized, and a skype chat for people involved. Then, without hiring any staff, people are willing to help. After it takes off, you need to assign staff. I wait because I like to know how people are willing to contribute to this particular server, and their maturity etc.

People You Trust and a good Development Team with also a good Staff Team just Overall having a good time