Would a VPS Hosting Service "Click" Here?

So I was thinking of starting up my own hosting service which I'll be starting off here on the SA-MP forums first. Obviously with the fees involved in running multiple servers, I can't do it for free. I'm just wondering if I by any chance, people would be legitimately interested in buying just a VPS. With that, I mean not an actual game server with all that fancy game control panel. A plain old VPS.

Of course it's going to be split in half: OpenVZ and Virtuozzo. Yeah. No Windows since I personally don't think game servers should run on a Windows server. Full root access is guaranteed (duh).

Data Centers:
  • Chicago, US
  • Singapore, SG
OS Options:
  • CentOS 6 (32-bit/64-bit)
  • Debian 7.0 Wheezy (32-bit/64-bit)
  • Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (32-bit/64-bit)
Specs:
  • Disk Space: 10 GB
  • Monthly Traffic: 300 GB
  • CPU: 0.8 GHz
  • RAM: 1 GB
  • Control Panel: cPanel
Price Range: $15-$25
cPanel: +$15? (Have to check up on cPanel)
Specs would be negotiable, but that's where I want to start working on. Any thoughts on this?

overpriced for the specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Weston
Посмотреть сообщение
overpriced for the specs.
I started with $15 since I didn't want to oversell, but at the same time, a guy has to make a profit. Right now, I can only host 6 of these at roughly $15 each. What do you reckon is a fair price tho? :P

You'd have to offer very competitive prices/specs to make us switch from our existing server providers to a new company which we know nothing about yet. Good luck with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dairyll
Посмотреть сообщение
I started with $15 since I didn't want to oversell, but at the same time, a guy has to make a profit. Right now, I can only host 6 of these at roughly $15 each. What do you reckon is a fair price tho? :P
Yeah, I understand but it will be VERY HARD to sell since there are companies that over x3 the specs that you're offering for the same price with impressive performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Weston
Посмотреть сообщение
Yeah, I understand but it will be VERY HARD to sell since there are companies that over x3 the specs that you're offering for the same price with impressive performance.
Yep. He has to market himself as something that others don't offer, a plain old VPS isn't exactly that.

You seem like an intelligent individual so I'll reply to this post as that.

Most SA-MP users simply aren't willing to pay a higher price for better service, for example, most people who use VPS's here tend to attract towards OVH's classic offerings because they're super cheap, though you get super cheap performance which isn't optimal for game servers. You'd have to find something that'd really make you stand out from the rest to be able to make any money here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymax99
Посмотреть сообщение
Yep. He has to market himself as something that others don't offer, a plain old VPS isn't exactly that.

You seem like an intelligent individual so I'll reply to this post as that.

Most SA-MP users simply aren't willing to pay a higher price for better service, for example, most people who use VPS's here tend to attract towards OVH's classic offerings because they're super cheap, though you get super cheap performance which isn't optimal for game servers. You'd have to find something that'd really make you stand out from the rest to be able to make any money here.
LS-RP uses OVH by the way, the performance seems to be great.

i'll literally kill myself if you're seriously offering $15 for virtuozzo linux vps lmao

Honestly, that's OVERLY priced and it's not even close to what it should cost. I can buy a VPS right now for the same price you're offering ($15) get 300MB of RAM, unlimited bandwidth and storage, 24/7 support, 100% uptime guarantee, MySQL, and a control panel for the same price. Sorry, but as you are starting out as an unofficial VPS hoster, you can't get top dollar as you haven't proven you're services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potassium
Посмотреть сообщение
You'd have to offer very competitive prices/specs to make us switch from our existing server providers to a new company which we know nothing about yet. Good luck with it.
This, also might I mention that if you are going to run a popular server on a VPS, a 300 GB monthly data transfer isn't going to be enough.

For example; My server averages 80-100ish players, and I've already used 150 gigabytes transfer for this month. (I have unlimited bandwidth transfer, so I'm not worried, just a suggestion)