oculus rift idea

hi folks,

basically, the oculus rift is a motion sensor and a screen with a few lenses right??
if you could get a good pair of lenses (wich shouldnt be too hard), and you can create a nice smartphone app wich let's you view your desktop's screen you could create your own oculus rift.
a (newer) smartphone has way better sensors than the oculus rift has. and a waaay better screen
for example: my htc one x has a 4.7" screen, while the oculus rift has a 4.08" one.
the oculus has a Pixel density of 251 per inch while my phone has 312!
my phone has an Accelerometer, gyroscope and proximity sensor, wich results in very accurate motion tracking, and even a detector for when you get it off your head..
and most importantly, my phone is only 130 grams, the oculus just over 220 grams. wich isnt comfortable after a while.

the only things are: building a case, wich fits my phone (not to hard) finding the lenses (shouldnt be to hard either), and building a application wich creates a stereoscopic image of a game, and applying motion tracking in it, thinking of it, it doesnt even have to be on pc. it can just be a mobile game too.

share your thoughts on this

edit: specs of oculus (source http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-games-list:
Oculus Rift Specs
Oculus Rift Price: $300
Official Site: OculusVR
Display Resolution: 640Ч800 (1.25:1) [1280x800 split between each eye]
Display Technology: LED
Display Size (diagonal): 4.08″
Field of View (degrees): H: 90°
Pixels Per Inch (PPI): 251.1
Total Pixels: 512,000
Weight (headset): 220g
Stereoscopic 3D capable: Yes
Audio: Bring Your Own Audio
Inputs: DVI, USB (power)
Head Tracking: Yes

Useless.

Great idea.
But did you think about the focus or whatever it's called? Try to watch a movie with your phone stucked in your eyes, will you see anything?

What you will get will be just a headache.
Honestly it was a great idea, but this is the reason why it can't be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockk
Посмотреть сообщение
Great idea.
But did you think about the focus or whatever it's called? Try to watch a movie with your phone stucked in your eyes, will you see anything?
That's where lenses come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_hual
Посмотреть сообщение
That's where lenses come in.
Ohh, didn't know that, sorry.
Then someone make this!

I thought there were two screens in the oculus.

Edit: The bigger problem here is receiving video from a source. No phone has an video-in port, and getting drivers for a usb-driven video port would be difficult.

It has 2 screens, so you will need 2 smartphones or an iPhone 10 which can be more expensive than oculus rift.

Other than that, just optimise some VNC apps and you can stream your computer screen image to the smartphone.

i browsed around a few forums too, but i didnt come across one where (At first glance) they had this idea. so i thought i'd share it..

the oculus doesnt have 2 screens, it has one screen wich displays two seperate images.

i hope somebody with experience in creating apps for android sees this :P

Think about it, a 4" screen for both eyes, too small...

"As regards stereo rendering, the Rift’s two screens have a resolution of 800 by 640 each, working as a stereo image pair (so you’ll need a splitter). "

An app replacing VR glasses? Well, lets check this.
First, you would need to build some system to mount the phone to your head. It should be all closed, so no other light gets through. Then you either need a second phone, or some prism-like mirror to split the image in two. All together you wont get it below 200 grams, with two phones even more, and you probably cant make a mount as comfortable as the rigt yourself. It also wont reach its quality, no matter if the resolution is higher or not. Distance between the images need to be really exact to get the desired 3d effect.
Ill leave out the software itself, just mentioning that it will be quite laggy via wlan, the higher sensor sensitivity wont pay out, everything else should be possible.
About the price: you wont get a phone with a big enough screen size/quality for less than 300$. Mirror and material for the headmount will be around 100$, or additional 300$ for a second phone. So thats 400-700$.

So if you already got the phone, you could create something like that for a few bucks. Though regardless of the better sensor and screen, youll get poorer quality, it cant ever keep up with real VR glasses.