Converting to MYSQL

What are the pros and cons of converting to MYSQL and is it worth it? I am currently creating a roleplay script.

1. Easier (in my opinion)
2. Can connect with others servers and your website (PHP)
3. Faster (having 50,00 entries in a table is much better than having 50,000 separate user files)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolumadd_
Посмотреть сообщение
3. Faster (having 50,00 entries in a table is much better than having 50,000 separate user files)
^^^

Agree, it gives you a lot of benefits, but you have to study the language too

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Easily modifiable and easy to search trough (queries!)

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
1. debatable.
2. so can files and sqlite.
3. benchmarks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbit
Посмотреть сообщение
1. debatable.
2. so can files and sqlite.
3. benchmarks?
1. I said "in my own opinion"
2. Sqlite and files can only communicate with each other if they are on the same server. (aka: will not work with Gameservers)
3. You want to debate searching through a folder with 50,000 files compared to running a query on a MySQL database?

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
1. I said "in my own opinion"
It was meant to be a question, not arguing (rephrase: WHY do you think so?)

Quote:
2. Sqlite and files can only communicate with each other if they are on the same server. (aka: will not work with Gameservers)
False.

Quote:
3. You want to debate searching through a folder with 50,000 files compared to running a query on a MySQL database?
covering 1 aspect doesn't make anything "better".

EDIT: I doubt the actual communication to-and-fro the server would be "faster" than natives (but that's a different story)...

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
1. debatable.
I can only argue for number 1. MySQL is easy. It has very high level syntax. Have you seen queries?* You're basically talking to the server.

It's also very accessible. Maybe two lines of code in PHP, and voila, you have access to records. With files however, you have to deal with directories, and compatibility between OSs.

However MySQL is only as fast as you make it. I cringe whenever I see MySQL scripts that don't index properly, and use varchars as an index.

If you're going to doubt MySQL, at least provide some valid arguments. Judging by the content of your posts, you just seem to be vaguely slandering MySQL for no reason.

*rhetorical question btw

@Lorenc_ - EXACTLY what I was going to post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentDunn
Judging by the content of your posts, you just seem to be vaguely slandering MySQL for no reason.
I'm going to link the definition of "slander" because it seems you have no idea what it means. Here you go -> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slander

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentDunn
Посмотреть сообщение
If you're going to doubt MySQL, at least provide some valid arguments.
I understand you are pro-MySQL, but if you ever happen to crash-land on earth sometime, you'd realize it's an overkill for SA-MP. No one's ever doubted the power of MySQL, but my argument isn't based on what it does, it's how YOU people use it!

This community is purely made up of misconceptions and it seems that the newer members are influenced by the older ones and the rubbish that they post! <-- This is why MySQL is so widely used around here.

But who am I with my 155 posts and 20 rep? It'd be best if you hear it from someone with more experience:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
I've seen MANY MANY people decide to use databases (and yes, by that I mean "SQL-based relational databases, namely SQLite and (mostly) MySQL") over files because they are "faster". I have put "faster" in quotes because most people don't actually have a clue what they are doing when it comes to SQL (Structured Query Language), and so they write their entire code base using only the most basic of queries that frankly don't gain them much over flat files (IMHO, no tests).
Quote:
MySQL is designed for enterprise-class applications handling terrabytes of data spread over hundreds of servers (which is why I've always advocated SQLite - it has "lite" in the name for a reason, but that's another issue).
Quote:
The problem is that people don't know the language they are using. They bolt a few words they found on w3schools together and think they're done

Saying MySQL is an overkill for sa-mp is debatable. Yes, there is a large amount of servers where MySQL isn't necessary, but there is that small amount where it is. There are servers with hundreds of players daily, and probably have tens of thousands of dormant accounts. If you have hundreds of players on one server, you can't really afford to lose time writing data to a file, so you can just use MySQL which runs queries on a thread separate from the server saving you that valuable time.

There is also a small handful of servers that wish to build a culture around their server, and want to implement a UCP, or a webpage with statistics. Implementing that with flat-files would just be impractical.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
But who am I with my 155 posts and 20 rep?
It's evident that you know what you're talking about. Therefore your post count and reputation points are completely irrelevant.