Server license question

There is a statment in samp-license.txt saying:

Код:
© This software may not be exploited for personal, financial or 
commercial gain.
And some servers use San Andreas Multiplayer to earn money. (various VIP features on servers like Project:LA (http://plamarketplace.com/) wich has full market for buying things or GTA-Multiplayer.cz and everest-community.net where you can donate to them to have some additional features)

so I am confused. Is that allowed by samp-license or those server break agreement in samp-license

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexH
Посмотреть сообщение
There is a statment in samp-license.txt saying:

Код:
© This software may not be exploited for personal, financial or 
commercial gain.
And some servers use San Andreas Multiplayer to earn money. (various VIP features on servers like Project:LA (http://plamarketplace.com/) wich has full market for buying things or GTA-Multiplayer.cz and everest-community.net where you can donate to them to have some additional features)

so I am confused. Is that allowed by samp-license or those server break agreement in samp-license
Donator's chose to pay, so server owners arent forcing the cash out. If the person donates then, it's contribution towards the server, and if the owner uses that as profit, it's the donator's fault for donating. but, if you had to pay to play the game or server then it'll be going against the license.

As a former administrator and developer for Project: LA, I can actually shed some light on this one.

They profit from the marketplace. Big time (I wont't speak to numbers out of respect for the current owners, but it is enough that the person that collects the funds is going to have to mention it on his taxes as income). And the marketplace was specifically created to circumvent the "dontation" label, so that chargebacks couldn't happen. When you spend money in the P:LA market, you are purchasing something for use ingame (or in the P:LA teamspeak). It is NOT a donation.

Exactly my point. You pay for features of the game and its even called marketplace. Its not a donation. (And not to mention that server uses NGG script, with minimal edit) I placed a link for peoples to see prices, and they are not small. They move around 50$ average, and there are even stuff for 125$

Not to mention that they downloaded house map from this forum and sold it under "custom made RP house". Which is technically a theft.

Link to house map on this forum:

https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=359692

I don't think this is braching the license, as they could call it "donating", although they ask moonhigh prices on this Project LA server.

I took this one step further and checked online dictionary what is donation

and according to them its

Quote:

noun
an act or instance of presenting something as a gift, grant, or contribution.
a gift, as to a fund; contribution.

so if you give something to get something in return its not a donation(defined as gift or contribution), its purchase, and according to me violation of samp service agreements

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I took this one step further and checked online dictionary what is donation

and according to them its

so if you give something to get something in return its not a donation(defined as gift or contribution), its purchase, and according to me violation of samp service agreements
"© This software may not be exploited for personal, financial or
commercial gain."

"This software" is the software package you download from www.sa-mp.com, but this server (Project LA) earns money from what they script themselve (or what they copied from NGRP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mado
Посмотреть сообщение
"© This software may not be exploited for personal, financial or
commercial gain."

"This software" is the software package you download from www.sa-mp.com, but this server (Project LA) earns money from what they script themselve (or what they copied from NGRP).
Actually think that its one of those sentences that anyone can interpret how he wants.

But i its what like you said copied from NGG, but its not all. Script itself is nothing. You need server to run it. So they use server package to earn money. If there is no server package, there would not be money. So its one thing attached to another. So if you take big picture, they are using server package to earn money.

Quote:
What is precisely your problem? You can play for free, you don't have to buy anything. In fact, you should be thankful that other players keep the server running with their donations (or whatever you call it), so you can play for free. I assume you wouldn't pay the server expenses from your own pocket to keep the server up.

Many servers use selling premium accounts to cover their expenses, and not only SA-MP servers. As for GTA-MP.CZ, we don't have any non-christian prices like the other server you mentioned, and the revenues from the shop cover the server expenses and taxes (did you ever see the taxation rates in Czech republic?). Therefore that what you call profit is negligible.