Web-Style server address for samp??

Hello forum members,

I have been on a few servers that had there server ip in the format of a website eg website.com:7777

I am wondering how this is done as i want to present my server ip in a similar way. Does anyone know how it is done?

Use your DNS and set it up with an A Record

Yeah, just search it up on ******. I forgot the website, it's free too.

I suppose your using cPanel, if not, too bad.

1. Go to your cPanel (www.yoursite.com:2082)
2. Navigate down to the "Domains" section
3. Click "Simple DNS Zone Editor"
4. You will be using "Add an A Record" for this.
5. Put what you would like as your address in the "Name" field (Ex: samp.yoursite.com, only put samp, not your site URL as it will automatically do it for you)
6. Put your server IP, not port, IP only in the "Address" Field
7. Click "Add a record"

Hope this helped! Good luck

Also if you run the webserver and sampserver on the same machine, they automatically have the same ip, so you can use the name for samp.
Domainnames are nothing but links to an ip address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauzen
View Post
Also if you run the webserver and sampserver on the same machine, they automatically have the same ip, so you can use the name for samp.
Domainnames are nothing but links to an ip address.
This.

If you have a real server, with a real IP address and domain to go with it, you already have the ability to point people to your SAMP server via domainname (aka madoshi.org:7777).

Going with what mauzen said...I can use all the domains associated w/ an IP to point people to a samp server

Quote:

madoshi.org:7777
madoshi.net:7777
comfortablydumb.net:7777

^all go to the same server

same i realy wanna know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby_Manley
View Post
same i realy wanna know
You obviously didn't read the replies to the thread before you posted. 3 or 4 people have posted sufficient replies detailing exactly how to do this and how it works. Not sure why you couldn't read them instead of making a useless post. (But hey, at least you searched and didn't create an entire new thread, points for you there!)

If you're looking for a free DNS service look at http://freedns.afraid.org/ they're really great, have used them alot in the past. (when I couldn't get my DNS server to work properly or as backup).

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3nZ
View Post
I suppose your using cPanel, if not, too bad.

1. Go to your cPanel (www.yoursite.com:2082)
2. Navigate down to the "Domains" section
3. Click "Simple DNS Zone Editor"
4. You will be using "Add an A Record" for this.
5. Put what you would like as your address in the "Name" field (Ex: samp.yoursite.com, only put samp, not your site URL as it will automatically do it for you)
6. Put your server IP, not port, IP only in the "Address" Field
7. Click "Add a record"

Hope this helped! Good luck
How do I do this with Yahoo Small Business? I can't figure it out.