A few quick PC questions

Hey,

Before starting, I want to say I know there are many threads created just like mine. However, I'm not very smart when it comes to computer specifications and would like answers specific to the parts I'm asking. I don't want to make the assumption because another part that someone asked about on this forum may apply to my situation, and end up making the wrong decision. Also please recognize I have researched a lot of information before coming here and asking, but nothing is part-specific. I'm hoping someone here will have had experience with those parts or actually truly knows what they're speaking of.

So, I'm planning on spoiling myself and buying a gaming computer for Christmas. This would be from CyberPowerPC (www.cyberpowerpc.com), as I've gotten a lot of great reviews from people from them, they have some of the cheapest prices I've seen, and I don't want to assemble my own (as most likely something will go wrong). They allow multiple different configuration options, which makes me wonder why some things are working out the way they are. Hopefully some of you can answer the below questions:
  • On the website there is a FPS counter, which takes two games (Modern Warfare 2 and another) and tests the configuration that you have selected. When you select the new AMD FX processors, even the 6 and 8 core, it shows worse results than that from the AMD Phenom II Quad. Does anyone have an explanation?
  • I'm trying to decide whether or not to get the AMD Phenom II Quad or AMD Phenom II six-core. Could anyone explain how much more performance would be expressed gaming wise as well as how future proof the quad-core would be?
  • I'm trying to decide whether to get a single AMD Radeon HD 6750 1 GB GDDR5, or two AMD Radeon HD 5670 1 GB GDDR3. Which would get more performance? How future proof would it be?
So basically, this is the basic build of what I'm looking to get. If you could tell me whether or not it would be good enough for AT LEAST 3 more years of high-end games, that would be great. As well as which parts to update (whether shown in the list or not).
Код:
Motherboard: GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+
CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition (AMD Phenom II x6 1000T)
Memory: 2x4GB (8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dual-Channel Corsair XMS Gaming Memory
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6750 1 GB GDDR5 (2x AMD Radeon HD 5670 1 GB GDDR3)
Power Supply: 800 Watts - XtremeGear Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

- This is all I think relevant for what I'm asking. If more parts are needed, tell me
In conclusion, I'm wondering if these specifications (which you can give input on as well) are future-proof enough for at least 3 more years and are capable of running higher-end games (as well as recording) at a relatively high FPS with high resolution. If these specifications are not enough, or you have some type of input regarding anything, please do so.

Thanks!

Bump.

Yes, that's capable of running some of the most modern games with high video settings, such as Battlefield 3, Modern Warfare 3 and practically every other mainstream title. The hardware is probably "future-proof" for at least the next 2 years, and is capable of recording at a relatively high FPS - though 30 is all you should really need to record at.

I'd personally avoid AMD, though, I've always preferred Intel, but AMD are cheaper.

Intel processors really are better than amd even tho they are a bit more expensive.

Thanks for the replies.

What exactly are the benefits of using Intel over AMD? I've had both processor brands in the past and had no problems either way. Also, which Intel processor would be relatively equivalent to that of the Phenom II x4 Black Edition? Would it really be worth the extra $200+?

From what I know, the main differences are virtualization, do you know what clock speed the CPU will be running at though?

Also, you'd need to change the motherboard as well, you can't use Intel CPUs on motherboards which only support the AM3 socket, you'd need socket 1155 or 1156, but Ivy Bridge is also coming soon - I'm presuming that AMD processor has a while to go yet before it's no longer 'future proof', whereas I can't say the same for the sandy bridge range.

Intel has a significant amount of technological advantages over AMD which boosts its overall performance. AMD has lagged behind Intel for the past decade, and will most likely continue to do so. Unless you're short on cash, I'd go for Intel (you can buy an i7-2600 8GB desktop nowadays for $850 which would run essentially anything).

@Calgon - 3.4 GHz, and I'll take that into consideration.

@iLinx - Do you have any reports that I could read regarding that information? I also looked for desktops with the i7-2600 processor with the same or equivalent hardware as the configuration I created above, and the best I found was around $1250. The configuration above is just under $1000, including a monitor.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...748e01f074en02

$799 for a 8GB DDR3 i7-2600 + GeForce GT420 (which you can upgrade to an additional video card if really needed and that one doesn't do the trick and still save money, probably).

Major manufacturers are always the cheapest to look at due to bulk pricing on parts. Gateway and Lenovo I find are the cheapest in the market (and generally reliable as well, I've been running a Gateway 24x7 for the last 4 years without fail). A few years back I bought an Intel Lenovo for $399, OC'd the dual core and put in a Radeon 5xxx HD card I believe, and still to date it runs almost everything at medium+ settings depending on the game (and engine).

There's a reason Intel is used for almost everything and is a market leader, so go for it. From the depreciation of technology on average, it'll still be a powerful machine by the time it reaches it's salvage value.

Edit: looks like you'll need to upgrade your video card on that machine, however the video card you've selected above is $119 (at our prices) and a 500W PSU should cost around $40 (I know I got mine at that price).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLinx
Посмотреть сообщение
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...748e01f074en02

$799 for a 8GB DDR3 i7-2600 + GeForce GT420 (which you can upgrade to an additional video card if really needed and that one doesn't do the trick and still save money, probably).

Major manufacturers are always the cheapest to look at due to bulk pricing on parts. Gateway and Lenovo I find are the cheapest in the market (and generally reliable as well, I've been running a Gateway 24x7 for the last 4 years without fail). A few years back I bought an Intel Lenovo for $399, OC'd the dual core and put in a Radeon 5xxx HD card I believe, and still to date it runs almost everything at medium+ settings depending on the game (and engine).

There's a reason Intel is used for almost everything and is a market leader, so go for it. From the depreciation of technology on average, it'll still be a powerful machine by the time it reaches it's salvage value.

Edit: looks like you'll need to upgrade your video card on that machine, however the video card you've selected above is $119 (at our prices) and a 500W PSU should cost around $40 (I know I got mine at that price).
Very grateful for your input! I was always told that buying from major brands would be the most expensive, but it does seem to be the opposite when comparing some models. I'll be looking more into the major brands for cheap models with the configuration I want, taking Intel into consideration. Once again, thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNorton
Looks good to be honest, tho I think you would save more on building your own one! (I did, I saved a lot of money! and got my self a very good PC)
Please read the whole original post.